Catholic Rangers, Protestant Celtic

Also when daly signed and to a certain extent kiernan signed this summer , I found more celtic fans willing to bring up the topic and make more of debate/issue of both players nationality than any Rangers fans were, it was almost like they were questioning their reasons for doing so When the vast majority of rangers fans did not give a f**k and kiernan is settling in fantastically well and the fans have taken to him

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He did say that but he also never said who had advised him. (or what team they support)

I find it hard to believe though that after all the years of Catholics blessing themselves at Ibrox that they would turn around and say to Fran Sandaza in 2012 not to bless himself. Does that sound logical to you?..

What's illogical about it? There are so many different scenarios that it could have happened that I'm not even going to begin to list them.

Why would he make it up?

What's illogical about it? There are so many different scenarios that it could have happened that I'm not even going to begin to list them.

Why would he make it up?

I never said he made it up.

I did say he never said who it was that "advised" him though.

Many Rangers players blessed themselves during the 90's and 2000's when sectarianism was more of a problem. Yet you think the club asked Sandaza in 2012 not to bless himself?

I never said he made it up.

I did say he never said who it was that "advised" him though.

Many Rangers players blessed themselves during the 90's and 2000's when sectarianism was more of a problem. Yet you think the club asked Sandaza in 2012 not to bless himself?

So do you think he made it up or not?

I don't.

What I did say though was he never said who advised him.

Who do you think advised him?....

I don't have a fucking scooby; do you think I'm his agent?

Maybe he felt the need to highlight the incident without getting any individuals into bother.

But if we're going to play a guessing game, I'll say Ian Durrant.

Your turn.

I don't have a fucking scooby; do you think I'm his agent?

Maybe he felt the need to highlight the incident without getting any individuals into bother.

But if we're going to play a guessing game, I'll say Ian Durrant.

Your turn.

Apologies for asking for some proof to back up the claim you made. I wasn't aware your response would be a sarcastic comment about being his agent.

I thought you'd have some evidence. You seem to believe Rangers told Sandaza not to bless himself but have provided no proof whatsoever to suggest that is indeed the case.

Apologies for asking for some proof to back up the claim you made. I wasn't aware your response would be a sarcastic comment about being his agent.

I thought you'd have some evidence. You seem to believe Rangers told Sandaza not to bless himself but have provided no proof whatsoever to suggest that is indeed the case.

Am I being trolled an absolute belter here or are you genuinely not too bright?

Congratulations if it's the former and commiserations if it's the latter.

I didn't make any claims, m8 - Fran Sandaza did. You said you don't believe he made it up either, so you agree with me. The only difference is that you want me to provide evidence for Sandaza's claim?

Mental.

Several Rangers players from Latin European or South American backgrounds have been asked or advised to refrain from crossing themselves on the field of play in years gone by

The pundit needs evidence for this please.

Two players that crossed the "divide" Alfie conn and mo Johnston , now conn will still face some people who hold a grudge over his decision , I am not disputing but he still does supporters functions , was inducted to the 2007 hall of fame and I may be mistaken but was he not involved with a Rangers pub after his playing career? Compare that with the Johnston scenario and you can see a clear contrast

In fairness, the circumstances surrounding the respective crossings of the divide were hardly comparable.

From Celtic wiki.

It is common practice throughout Europe for many footballers of the Catholic faith to cross themselves as they enter the field of play, and in recent years even Rangers players, such as Lorenzo Amoruso, the Italian defender, and Shota Arveladze, the Georgian striker, blessed themselves at Ibrox without rancour.

Unfortunately I dont hang around the Ibrox dressing room with a camera phone :ph34r: but I recall 2 or 3 players mentioning this after leaving the now extinct club, Gabriel Amato and Marco Negri spring to mind

You seem to know a lot about the practices of former rangers players , could you provide the reasoning behind you clubs greatest manager not getting a place on the board?

You seem to know a lot about the practices of former rangers players , could you provide the reasoning behind you clubs greatest manager not getting a place on the board?

Probably because it was a family business and he wasn't a Whyte or kelly, and Celtic always fucked over their best Players and Managers.

And oh, Stein was offered a place on the board...

Celtic were formed in 1888 and in 1897 the club became a Private Limited Company,[143] this was owned and run by several family "dynasties".[144] These directors had a reputation of being very niggardly and authoritarian, as well as not showing loyalty to their players or managers. In particular they were known for continually selling their top players and not paying their staff enough, they also lacked ambition and many managers had run-ins with them due to this. Three of Celtic's most legendary figures Billy McNeill, Jock Stein and Jimmy McGrory all suffered from this. The board tried to sell McGrory, Celtic's greatest ever goalscorer, to Arsenal in 1928. Knowing how loyal he was to the club, they lured him to London under false pretences and despite his unhappiness at this, and Arsenal's offer of making him the highest paid player in Britain, he refused to move. As well as this, throughout his whole career he was paid £8 a week, £1 less than the rest of the team. As a manager McGrory was also unhappy with the board as they controlled team selection, he considered resigning three years into his management as the club had almost been relegated. Despite scoring 550 goals in 547 games, although not being as successful as a manager, throughout his 35-year playing and managing career with the club they were generally unsuccessful and were always in Rangers' shadow.[25][145]

Stein, who had also played for Celtic, took over the management of the club from McGrory in 1965 and revolutionised the team. He won nine successive league titles and the 1967 European Cup, as well as being runners-up in 1970,[146] with largely the team that McGrory had left behind.[citation needed] By the mid-70s Celtic were declining and Stein was struggling to replace the Lisbon Lions. He had also been seriously injured in a car crash in 1975 which had been said to have affected him badly. Stein rebuilt the squad and achieved a double in 1976–77.[147] However, the next season went poorly and the ability and commitment of many of these players was called into question.[148] The board decided to replace Stein in 1978. The recently appointed chairman, Desmond White, and Stein had a poor relationship and Stein left the club in a bad manner. Celtic's official history was released at that time and Stein was criticised in the book for losing the 1970 European Cup. White and the directors had contributed to the book and Stein was unhappy with this criticism. Stein was offered a place on the Celtic board after he left, however, they wanted him to revive the ticket sales at the club. Stein felt this demeaning and he said was; "a football man, not a ticket salesman". He declined this offer and decided to stay in management.[146][149]

All incloosuv club dontcha know

Thats true,, unlike Rangers I don't recall us having a ban on employing people from a certain religion for 80 years, and yes once again, Stein was offered a board position, Mcgrory and McNeil weren't ,but then that doesn't fit in with your failed narrative.

Archived