Catholic Rangers, Protestant Celtic

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1/3 of Celtic fans are actually Protestants?

Sorry, but I'm calling bullshit on that one. 

The Glasgow Council report I linked to earlier suggest that the Celtic support at the time was about 3/4 self identified Roman Catholic. 4% self identifying as Protestant. If we assume that "double voddy" in this context refers to people identified by the poster as non Catholic then 2/3 of a bus seems a bit low but not outrageously.It may even be that the overall ratio has balanced out over the years since the council research was undertaken

Nonetheless even the low estimate of 2/3 in a country where only 1/6 of the general population are Catholic would still be massively skewed distribution

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=9735

The exact scale of the correlation between religious identity and choice of football team is hard to pin down but the bigger mistake is to confuse causes and affects. By focussing on the proportions of Catholics and Protestant in the Celtic and Rangers support one implicitly assumes that religious identity is being determined by football affiliations.

It's surely more plausible to view the causation the other way round and see footballing affiliations being driven by sectarian division.

None of my grandparents were religious, except for my nominally Catholic grandfather, who gave not a shit about religion unless there was a free pint in it. 

On a technicality, we're all Church of Scotland, but I've never set foot in a church unless I was forced to by cub scouts, or by inconsiderate friends for weddings.  My mum and dad only go to church for weddings and funerals and I only support Celtic because the only football fan in the family was my Celtic-supporting uncle, who bought me a strip when I was four.  And his name is Billy.

Archived