Podcasts

locheedfcno1

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is excellent. It's "pop history" but he's relatively well researched (despite not being a historian) and he's got a good narrative structure to keep you interested. Obviously if you're wanting in-depth and rigorous analysis of historical events then he's not for you.

I thoroughly recommend his five-part series on the fall of the Roman Republic.

It's a bit Hibs.clique happy clapperesque

It's aimed at the hibs and hearts support on the main but it's a good listen with good interviews from former players a lot of the time. The Michael Stewart one was class.

The Terrace is excellent. Along with the semi-retired THHP it's far and away the best resource available for Scottish football analysis, as both a podcast and a website. Primarily covers the Premiership but one of the THHP writers is a regular contributor so there's some good lower league stuff as well. I'd say it has a pretty good following but it deserves a much bigger one.

Listen to a few others that have already been mentioned. Serial is really engrossing and it's also introduced me to This American Life which I'm really enjoying. I'd probably listen to Monday Night Fitba regularly if I supported Hearts or Hibs, but as it is I only listen occasionally when they've got an interesting guest on. Some of the interviews they've done, particularly the ones with Derek Rae and Robbie Neilson, are tremendous. The interviews on the Pele Podcast are similar. A few of the players struggle to express themselves with a great deal of coherence but they're an excellent listen for the most part.

Used to listen to Caustic Soda pretty regularly but eventually got tired of the humour. A shame since they cover a lot of really interesting topics, and I would recommend it to anyone to try a couple of episodes. Gave up on the Football Ramble as I lost interest in English football but it's pretty entertaining. Downloaded Football Weekly once and it was one of the most boring podcasts I've ever listened to. Covered largely the same stuff as the Football Ramble but it just seemed so vanilla in comparison.

Here to echo the Terrace love. Great podcast and they seem a great bunch of lads. Like to do fun stuff from time to time, lots of what ifs, top tens, best and worst players, etc.

Not a fan of the By The Minute podcast for Aberdeen but they had a great one about with David Preece, gives a good insight to early naughties Scottish fitba.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is excellent. It's "pop history" but he's relatively well researched (despite not being a historian) and he's got a good narrative structure to keep you interested. Obviously if you're wanting in-depth and rigorous analysis of historical events then he's not for you.

I thoroughly recommend his five-part series on the fall of the Roman Republic.

If you want a proper podcast that flows well with a bit of research, Mike Duncan's epic The History of Rome beats all-comers. Starts slowly but by episode 12 of nearly 200 it's excellent listening.

His Revolutions series at the moment is quite good as well.

If you want a proper podcast that flows well with a bit of research, Mike Duncan's epic The History of Rome beats all-comers. Starts slowly but by episode 12 of nearly 200 it's excellent listening.

Nice one, sounds excellent. Will download them and get piled in.

I started listening to this last week and I'm really enjoying it. I've listened to a lot of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History (the Wrath of the Khans being my personal favourite), but there's quite a long gap between episodes being released and I also wanted to find another decent history podcast.

I've tried a few different ones, but Mike Duncan's is the only other one that really grabs my attention. The only criticism I have is that the episodes are a little bit short, but as you said there are a ton of them to get through.

I'm probably going to listen to Common Sense by Carlin after this, but I'm not sure what to expect.

The Dailey Record blogger Johnny McFarlane has a series called The Fitba Hacks just now - it's been quite entertaining. He's interviewed Keith Jackson, Jim Spence, Roger Mitchell (aye that one) and the excellent Jon Northcroft so far.

Its American Football but Bill Simmons' podcasts with Cousin Sal are tremendous. Based around guessing the lines for the weekend's games but only loosly.

Those Conspiracy Guys is hilarious . Basically a couple of Irish guys talking about for example Kurt Cobain and accusing Courtney Love of murdering him as she's a horrible viper c**t.

Only one I don't think I've seen mentioned is the game podcast, which is the times version of football weekly hosted by Gabriel Marcotti.

It's like a poor man's football weekly but still a higher standard than most football podcasts, and totally worth it for the utter disdain most of the times football journalists seem to have for marcotti who regularly embarrasses himself with his opinions and is shot down for it.

Only one I don't think I've seen mentioned is the game podcast, which is the times version of football weekly hosted by Gabriel Marcotti.

It's like a poor man's football weekly but still a higher standard than most football podcasts, and totally worth it for the utter disdain most of the times football journalists seem to have for marcotti who regularly embarrasses himself with his opinions and is shot down for it.

It very much depends who's on it, for me. The journos are normally quite good, but if James Scowcroft or Tony Cascarino are on then best give it a swerve. Scowcroft makes Paul Merson sound like Brain of Britain - I mind one podcast he mentioned Mehmet Ozil and Mario Fellaini in the one sentence.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived