Hibs v Queens

Wasn't there, so genuine question: was the ball dropped at a Hibs player's feet, back in your own half, or further up the field?

Ive seen the footage, it was well in the Hibs half and there was plenty of opportunity to break up the attack. Its also another goal conceded from a cross into the box.

However, as you can see from the still below, Colvin drops the ball right at the Hibs players feet with Millar 5 yards the wrong side. Just before, the ref had been standing pretty much next to Millar. If he wasnt going to contest a proper drop ball then he should have given the ball to Millar to play back to the keeper.

post-1702-0-69279100-1450633861_thumb.pn

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ive seen the footage, it was well in the Hibs half and there was plenty of opportunity to break up the attack. Its also another goal conceded from a cross into the box.

However, as you can see from the still below, Colvin drops the ball right at the Hibs players feet with Millar 5 yards the wrong side. Just before, the ref had been standing pretty much next to Millar. If he wasnt going to contest a proper drop ball then he should have given the ball to Millar to play back to the keeper.

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

It sounds like the ref made a bit of an arse of it, but the upshot would basically have been the same had he done It properly: Hibs possession in their own half.

There's maybe a small argument about Millar being out of position, but it's splitting hairs. It doesn't sound like quite the outrage, the robbery some seemed to see it as.

A bigger concern sounds like the timidity with which we approach too many games, as well as the antics of our latest Hall of Fame inductee.

Just watched the highlights on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/35143443

The drop-ball incident doesn't look well-reffed - no problem with Hibs having been deemed to be in possession but there's a fairly clear convention that possession from drop-balls is usually returned by having the other side pass the drop-ball back. That's not written in stone, but if you're going to deviate you need at least to make sure everyone is aware of what you're doing and has chance to contest it. As it was, Hibs gained a clear advantage as compared to the possession they had when the whistle blew.

Don't think I'd have been very happy to win a game in those circumstances. On the other hand, as both Mr X and MT have just said, Queens still had every opportunity to defend it once the ball went upfield, and can't blame the ref for their failure to do so. Usual rules apply - if you're not happy with a reffing decision, defend the situation first, argue about it later.

Just watched the highlights on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/35143443

The drop-ball incident doesn't look well-reffed - no problem with Hibs having been deemed to be in possession but there's a fairly clear convention that possession from drop-balls is usually returned by having the other side pass the drop-ball back. That's not written in stone, but if you're going to deviate you need at least to make sure everyone is aware of what you're doing and has chance to contest it. As it was, Hibs gained a clear advantage as compared to the possession they had when the whistle blew.

Don't think I'd have been very happy to win a game in those circumstances. On the other hand, as both Mr X and MT have just said, Queens still had every opportunity to defend it once the ball went upfield, and can't blame the ref for their failure to do so. Usual rules apply - if you're not happy with a reffing decision, defend the situation first, argue about it later.

Yep, if Raith done that at ER you wouldn't celebrate or be happy about scoring a 94th minute winner.

Of course you would celebrate - it is still poor refereeing though.

You said you wouldn't be happy to win a game like that. Utter shite.

We're trying to win a league here, we'll take any win. The players still had a lot to do after getting the ball from the ref.

I honestly can't praise our players enough for going right till the final whistle. Top stuff.

You said you wouldn't be happy to win a game like that. Utter shite.

We're trying to win a league here, we'll take any win. The players still had a lot to do after getting the ball from the ref.

I honestly can't praise our players enough for going right till the final whistle. Top stuff.

Spot on.

Imagine the goal going in to take us joint top at christmas in injury (playacting) time thinking, "no I won't celebrate this goal that we have by a poorly officiated goal"

:lol:

Wasn't happy that time Thomson dived to win us a match-winning penalty at Cowdenbeath. The odd extra point here or there is less important than playing the game the right way.

I can be a bit of a dick that way.

Wasn't happy that time Thomson dived to win us a match-winning penalty at Cowdenbeath. The odd extra point here or there is less important than playing the game the right way.

Against Cowden? That's better than winning the game normal imo.

So we draw that game and lose the league by a point come the end of the season. But it's okay cause we did the right thing at the time. Football is all about winning, no matter what anyone says. Football supporters will take any sort of win regardless of what happens throughout the game because the 3 points are the most important thing at the end of the day.

You aren't remembered for acts of FairPlay. Your remembered for being a winner at the end of the season.

It sounds like the ref made a bit of an arse of it, but the upshot would basically have been the same had he done It properly: Hibs possession in their own half. There's maybe a small argument about Millar being out of position, but it's splitting hairs. It doesn't sound like quite the outrage, the robbery some seemed to see it as. A bigger concern sounds like the timidity with which we approach too many games, as well as the antics of our latest Hall of Fame inductee.

I think if the ref had done it properly, he'd have given the ball to Millar who would have passed it to Oxley. Pretty sure the weight of that pass would have been soft enough the Millar would be able to get back into position. Theres also every chance that the ref would have let Hutton back on as Oxley kicked the ball, or at least while it was in the air.

So we draw that game and lose the league by a point come the end of the season. But it's okay cause we did the right thing at the time. Football is all about winning, no matter what anyone says. Football supporters will take any sort of win regardless of what happens throughout the game because the 3 points are the most important thing at the end of the day.

You aren't remembered for acts of FairPlay. Your remembered for being a winner at the end of the season.

Utter nonsense

I think if the ref had done it properly, he'd have given the ball to Millar who would have passed it to Oxley. Pretty sure the weight of that pass would have been soft enough the Millar would be able to get back into position. Theres also every chance that the ref would have let Hutton back on as Oxley kicked the ball, or at least while it was in the air.

Utter nonsense

So what's the point in football then? Surely it's about winning. I suppose supporting a diddy like queens you wouldn't know what it's like to actually win something of note

What did you expect Fontaine to do? :blink:

The ball was going to be with us either way so I don't know what you're greeting about. You'd expect the ref to drop it at the feet of both players but it's a minor complaint, and not the fault of Hibs anyway.

If he had dropped if for Millar, he could have played it out for a goal kick to get Hutton back on.

So what's the point in football then? Surely it's about winning. I suppose supporting a diddy like queens you wouldn't know what it's like to actually win something of note

Yawn. The point is winning. That doesnt mean you have to abandon any kind of sportsmanship along the way.

If he had dropped if for Millar, he could have played it out for a goal kick to get Hutton back on.

Yes, he could. To be honest, Id have been a little disappointed if he had. I always think its poor sportsmanship to play the ball out like that rather than return the ball to the opposition

ETA - at least none of the Hibs fans have come out with as laughable an interpretation as Stubbs on the BBC interview

Yes, he could. To be honest, Id have been a little disappointed if he had. I always think its poor sportsmanship to play the ball out like that rather than return the ball to the opposition

Maybe in normal circumstances, but not when you are going to be disadvantaged by being a man down. You're still giving the ball back, but making sure you still have 11 men on the pitch. I don't see any issue with that and would think any manager in the country would expect their players to do that in the circumstances.

Archived