Podcasts

Ludo*1

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

There are probably only a couple of episodes of Katherine Ryan that I didn't think were excellent.If you only stumbled across those episodes it could give a false picture of it.

Always enjoyed Elis & John's podcasts (go way back to Radio X before the BBC ones too) but they can get a bit heavy on the boozing tales as it sets me on edge so not listened for a while.

Elis and John are my go to, I listen to the old Radio X shows when I'm fed up with my normal podcasts. Probably nearly at the end of my third go round on them. I love them, love John's stand up, love the riffing and the knowingly bad features. I think their particular way of discussing mental health and encouraging people to "Live their best life" is really healthy and helpful, although has become a bit heavy handed since they moved to the BBC. I'm not sure the boozing tales are that bad, it's mainly just "I found a nice pub" or "I went  to a few nice pubs in an afternoon." I don't think there's an episode goes by where they don't mention ale tbf

23 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Elis and John are my go to, I listen to the old Radio X shows when I'm fed up with my normal podcasts. Probably nearly at the end of my third go round on them. I love them, love John's stand up, love the riffing and the knowingly bad features. I think their particular way of discussing mental health and encouraging people to "Live their best life" is really healthy and helpful, although has become a bit heavy handed since they moved to the BBC. I'm not sure the boozing tales are that bad, it's mainly just "I found a nice pub" or "I went  to a few nice pubs in an afternoon." I don't think there's an episode goes by where they don't mention ale tbf

I'm a big fan of Elis, but some weeks I find John really grating.

TBF it's not hard to see how he is the way he is given he had to live with that arsehole Sara Pascoe for years.

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

TBF it's not hard to see how he is the way he is given he had to live with that arsehole Sara Pascoe for years.

As much as they always joke that he isn't a character act, he's clearly a really exaggerated version of himself on the show. The thing is I don't think Elis would work by himself but John when he's done it solo is very good still. I'd agree he can be really grating though, there was a point during lockdown when the GF and I were listening while making dinner and just both said "John's a bit of an insufferable dick isn't he?"

I think I'd rather spend a day doing an Oxford pub crawl keeping it session with John (we went there for my birthday last year and did a crawl round most of the places he recommends when they discuss it) but would much rather actually be mates with Elis. This is definitely not one of my regular mind scenarios to help me sleep after hot chocolate and Poirot.

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I've always liked Elis but John, like Stewart Lee, is one of those guys who, while amusing, I have difficulty in classing as a Comedian. Does that make sense? Kind of in a later-model frankie Boyle, he makes you laugh by his turn of phrase and skewed viewpoint, rather than a more traditional "joke or story" presentation.

Started listening to Blowback after hearing about it for months. Brendan James and Noah Kulwin dissect the Iraq War and how fucking mental the entire enterprise was from the early days of the US boosting of Saddam to the invasion in 2003 and the entire cultural meltdown that followed. This surely has to get the full on documentary treatment off Netflix or someone eventually.

Edited by NotThePars

7 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I've always liked Elis but John, like Stewart Lee, is one of those guys who, while amusing, I have difficulty in classing as a Comedian. Does that make sense? Kind of in a later-model frankie Boyle, he makes you laugh by his turn of phrase and skewed viewpoint, rather than a more traditional "joke or story" presentation.

The guy has a Perrier award and multiple well-reviewed one man stand-up shows at the fringe that then successfully toured, so it's a bit silly to say you don't class him as a comedian. Or do you mean you don't know what type of comedian to classify him as, which is probably fair?

If you've not seen any of his stand up shows then The Darkness of Robins is on Netflix and is a recording of the show that won the Perrier, well worth a go.

He's a superb anecdotal comedian, and I'd say his style essentially boils down to creating in each show a picture of himself as a tragic, fastidious moron (or similar). He then uses anecdotes to make fun of this part of himself while building to a theme or a lesson in a lot of clever ways. His use of callbacks and more old fashioned joke set ups is good, if quite sparse for the latter. I think unlike Lee where EVERYTHING is knowing and coy there's a genuine emotional heft to his stand up, which I know not everyone wants. He's a different beast on stage to on the radio, where he essentially is recreating the wacky part of a double act as a Highway code and queen obsessed maniac with a self-acknowledged mild drinking problem. 

Just now, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

The guy has a Perrier award and multiple well-reviewed one man stand-up shows at the fringe that then successfully toured, so it's a bit silly to say you don't class him as a comedian. Or do you mean you don't know what type of comedian to classify him as, which is probably fair?

If you've not seen any of his stand up shows then The Darkness of Robins is on Netflix and is a recording of the show that won the Perrier, well worth a go.

He's a superb anecdotal comedian, and I'd say his style essentially boils down to creating in each show a picture of himself as a tragic, fastidious moron (or similar). He then uses anecdotes to make fun of this part of himself while building to a theme or a lesson in a lot of clever ways. His use of callbacks and more old fashioned joke set ups is good, if quite sparse for the latter. I think unlike Lee where EVERYTHING is knowing and coy there's a genuine emotional heft to his stand up, which I know not everyone wants. He's a different beast on stage to on the radio, where he essentially is recreating the wacky part of a double act as a Highway code and queen obsessed maniac with a self-acknowledged mild drinking problem. 

Yeah, that's more what i was driving at. I have noticed his sho won Netflix, but I like to watch comedy on TV on my own, as Mrs WRK tends to have a different (i.e. more broad) sense of humour, so I get a mix of about 75% show to 25% ad hoc criticism. Getting the odd hour on my own hasn't been all that easy for the last few months, as I can't watch anything "inappropriate" *if any of the kids or grandkids are within two miles of the house. This even applies to shows I've been recommended by Rosettes 3 (aged 20) and 4 (17). Go figure, as they say.

*basically, fucking. Whether spoken or shown.

Grounded with Louis Theroux. 

The Troy Deeney episode was superb. I understand why folk have a dislike of him due to the jail term but he comes across as a pretty down to Earth guy. Very enjoyable hour and a bit listen. 

Podcast episode I recorded recently with Craig G Telfer of The Terrace Podcast and A View From The Terrace. 

We spoke about U2, guitars, football and a bunch of other things! 

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0IVHdyK0E6lyFI5DgiJjMU?si=5bk0dEIeSKKc-Kx-xGuBbA

Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/tune-chattin-podcast/id1522953922?i=1000486688026

I stumbled across the first episode of a weekly documentary on the BBC World Service last night called 'The Bomb' about Leo Szilard, one of the main brains behind atomic power and ultimately, the nuclear bomb. It's a fascinating listen so far and I learned more in that 53 minutes about nuclear physics than I have in my entire life, although that wouldn't be particularly hard as my knowledge on the subject was probably limited to watching Chernobyl on Netflix and terrifying videos on YouTube. 

Definitely worth a listen. Gutted I have to wait for a week between episodes as I can tell I'd binge it from start to finish if the entire series was available just now. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct0wzh

• 2 months later...

Getting really fed up with Fighting Talk. It was always pretty much Colin Murray and his mates talking about themselves, but the guests now are just boring as f**k. The Welsh Elvis impersonator who was on again this week might be the most tedious man in history.

6 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Getting really fed up with Fighting Talk. It was always pretty much Colin Murray and his mates talking about themselves, but the guests now are just boring as f**k. The Welsh Elvis impersonator who was on again this week might be the most tedious man in history.

Loved it back in the day, part of a Saturday morning routine when I was a kid before heading to Easter Road. Slowly went off it after Murray left the first time.

Went to check it out now and realised that not only is Neil Delamere still somehow on it, James Haskell seems to be on it now. Did not subscribe

Robbie Williams is on Adam Buxton's podcast this week. I've never been a huge fan but he came across pretty well, just like he did on the Horne Section podcast a few weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed the first episode proper of “Brave New Planet” yesterday, discussing how society should deal with synthetic media and deep fake videos. 
Here’s their blurb...

Hosted by scientist Eric Lander and in partnership with Pushkin Industries and the Boston Globe, Brave New Planet is a podcast about amazing new technologies that might dramatically improve our world, or, if we don’t make wise choices, could leave us a lot worse off. This generation’s choices will shape the future as never before. Utopia or dystopia? It’s up to us.

• 1 month later...

Eddie Hearn’s No Passion No Point

Eddie is a strange bedfellow for the BBC. An über-lad minted Essex boy. Can’t say I recommend it as a great listen but it’s an interesting social experiment. Round up some mighty names from the world of sport and entertainment (Mike Tyson, Noel Gallagher, David Gandy, KSI....) and have Eddie talk loudly at them about himself for a while. More like a Harry Enfield sketch than a podcast. 

• 4 weeks later...