Only an Excuse?

19 hours ago, Silvio said:

What always amazes me is the number of writers it takes to make it. Think it was in double figures last night. How can so many people get it so wrong? 

That was what really stuck out for me, the scripts were f**kin atrocious. 

56 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Is Denis Law still a thing on it?

Ironically he was actually in the news recently  (freedom of Aberdeen) but didn't make an appearance.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Haven't really read the last few pages, does anyone on here think OAE is past it's best now and should be cancelled?

This must surely be a sarcastic comment.

I haven't watched it for years and I only watched it out of morbid curiosity for quite a few years before I stopped, simply  to see how wretched it could be. It's a national embarrassment.

As for the number of people listed as scriptwriters, that'll probably be because they invite contributions from anyone. Think about that for a minute. They invite contributions from far and wide and yet this, in their judgement, is the best they can come up with.

It's incredible that they grind out the same guff every year, which somehow manages to get even worse as the years go on. Surely Phil Differ and Jonathan Watson must be aware of the views of people on here, who haven't been complimentary about it (other than an occasional gag) for years and years. If those two haven't take a squint at what people on Pie & Bovril have to say about it you'd have to ask why not. Whatever anybody says about this site, it's an impressive barometer of opinion throughout Scottish football and the opinion here is that there is no longer any excuse for how bad Only An Excuse is.

This must surely be a sarcastic comment.
I haven't watched it for years and I only watched it out of morbid curiosity for quite a few years before I stopped, simply  to see how wretched it could be. It's a national embarrassment.
As for the number of people listed as scriptwriters, that'll probably be because they invite contributions from anyone. Think about that for a minute. They invite contributions from far and wide and yet this, in their judgement, is the best they can come up with.
It's incredible that they grind out the same guff every year, which somehow manages to get even worse as the years go on. Surely Phil Differ and Jonathan Watson must be aware of the views of people on here, who haven't been complimentary about it (other than an occasional gag) for years and years. If those two haven't take a squint at what people on Pie & Bovril have to say about it you'd have to ask why not. Whatever anybody says about this site, it's an impressive barometer of opinion throughout Scottish football and the opinion here is that there is no longer any excuse for how bad Only An Excuse is.

Problem is though was a single team other than Celtic or Rangers even mentioned in that episode? They are going after old firm fans more than the rest of Scottish football, and OF fans are underrepresented on this site (one of the best things about it), and probably have a simpler sense of humour.

'Haw haw, he's playing the sash on his e-cigarette'

11 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Problem is though was a single team other than Celtic or Rangers even mentioned in that episode? They are going after old firm fans more than the rest of Scottish football, and OF fans are underrepresented on this site (one of the best things about it), and probably have a simpler sense of humour.

'Haw haw, he's playing the sash on his e-cigarette'

That's true plus Watson is a Rangers fan, Differ is Celtic and that's all that seems to matter to them apart from the odd sketch about the national team.

And no, I didn't watch it. Last one I saw was 2013, and that was fucking dire, so much so that I considered inserting the contents of my friends' (whose flat I was in at the time) cutlery drawer in to my face

The stereotypical Celtic fan is spot on but I have no idea where the Rangers fan stereotype has came from. From experience, they're  normally fat bald men who wear at least three sovreign rings.

Aye, where does the dreadlocked Rangers fan with the dodgy eye come from ??

It was utter pish and shouldn't be on again. It's run its course now.

In its infancy and early years on the radio and video, it was very funny and laughs were raised purely from Scottish football from the national team down through all the leagues.

Now it's just tired OF jokes and political characters that are even less funny.

My experience of shows like this (and Chewin' the fat, etc) is that they have far more sketches filmed than what eventually goes out.  They get studio audiences in, and show them every sketch that they have recorded.  The ones that get the best reaction are the ones that go out on the actual broadcast.

So, bearing in mind how bad the show is, just think how bad the unused stuff must be...

My experience of shows like this (and Chewin' the fat, etc) is that they have far more sketches filmed than what eventually goes out.  They get studio audiences in, and show them every sketch that they have recorded.  The ones that get the best reaction are the ones that go out on the actual broadcast.
So, bearing in mind how bad the show is, just think how bad the unused stuff must be...

Glasgow studio, Glasgow audience = Old Firm Shite

I thought it was absolutely dreadful.  I watched it for the first time in a few years at a friend's flat as I was there for a Hogmanay gathering.  However, I find football humour a bit naff if I'm being honest.  I traditionally stay away from Only an Excuse? and Soccer AM. 

Typed Only An Excuse into Twitter after it aired and before I’d seen it to see what the reaction was. Mostly psycho-Nats foaming at the mouth over jokes about Sturgeon and Salmond. *Sigh*

And oh yes, when I did watch the programme, I thought it was awful. Embarrassingly bad.

• 11 months later...

Well it's that time of the year, where we all say how shite this program is and how it should have been put to bed years ago and then we all end up watching it anyway and say how pish it was and the cycle repeats!!!
I've not actually seen any ads for it yet, do you think they've finally taken it out the back and put it out of its misery or do they know that they don't have to advertise its presence as we will all hunt it out anyway???
Discuss!!!