Good News - Crowds are Still Rising

We need to stop worrying about attendances. Our attendances are amazing given the size of our country.

I have completed some research and compared the attendances of our top 16 clubs (by attendance) to other nations leagues where population is similar-ish

I have taken the top 16 teams in each country apart from Portugal and Greece who have 18 teams in their top flight. We still better them even if I only used the top 16.

I also went a bit further and worked out an estimate of what our average attendance would be if we had a 16 team Premiership and it came to approx. 11,000 (this was worked out using the 12 top flight teams and top 3 in the champ and St. Mirren, I had assumed St Mirren would have finished top 4 at the time when I started working it out......basically made an estimate for every fixture in a 16 team league using prior match attendances and educated guesses)

Current averages below

Country Ave Attendance Population

Belguim 11,612 11,259,000

Scotland 10,461 5,295,000

Portugal 10,101 10,311,000

Sweden 9,961 9,816,666

Switzerland 7,717 8,265,000

Norway 7,181 5,194,000

Denmark 5,901 5,673,000

Austria 5,135 8,608,000

Czech Republic 4,739 10,535,000

Greece 2,996 10,769,000

Serbia 2,595 7,103,000

Hungary 2,502 9,835,000

Finland 2,260 5,475,000

Croatia 2,014 4,230,000

Azerbaijan 1,840 9,651,000

Bulgaria 1,794 7,185,000

Slovakia 1,742 5,426,000

Belarus 1,623 9,481,000

Ireland 1,429 4,630,000

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fucking hate Dunfermline's ground. Partly because it's a Dundee pumping ground.

While I have memories of a couple of Dunfermline I hadn't noticed Dundee to have a particularly bad time at the place.

Freddie Daquin fs.

While I have memories of a couple of Dunfermline I hadn't noticed Dundee to have a particularly bad time at the place.

Freddie Daquin fs.

I remember in about 1988. We hadn't won/scored for about four months then pumped Dundee 6-1 on a total mudbath of a pitch. I'd agree with Ludo that we have given them some sore ones. Even this year we whipped Dundee then failed against the mighty Dundee.

Our crowds are fine, especially considering the tiny away supports in League One. Getting on for averaging 1,000 over what we budgeted for each game.

Exact same for Dundee this season (although I think our home gate has dropped a wee bit in addition to this)

We've only just had Utd (sell out) and Aberdeen and Hearts who have supports of note at Dens this season. Even then - Aberdeens crowd was way down on their usual numbers and I was pretty disappointed with Hearts effort considering their home gates but a creditable support nonetheless.

We've sold out every league home game this season from our end. Sorry to have disappointed you in not fitting in more.

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/4851

We've sold out every league home game this season from our end. Sorry to have disappointed you in not fitting in more.

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/4851

I think you've misinterpreted my post.

I was disappointed with Hearts away support at Dens - I expected you might sell out your allocation like Aberdeen, Celtic and Utd do.

I was particularly disappointed considering it was your first away tie back in the big league, was a 3pm Saturday kick off, plus you won your opener the previous week. With the number ST's you've sold and the number of sell outsI thought more would travel.

I did say it was still a good support though so no need to be upset.

I think you've misinterpreted my post.

I was disappointed with Hearts away support at Dens - I expected you might sell out your allocation like Aberdeen, Celtic and Utd do.

I was particularly disappointed considering it was your first away tie back in the big league, was a 3pm Saturday kick off, plus you won your opener the previous week. With the number ST's you've sold and the number of sell outsI thought more would travel.

I did say it was still a good support though so no need to be upset.

Just a smidge. For some reason I thought you were basing your posts on home games only. I thought would have sold out our end of the away game myself in fairness, although I don't think we were far from it.

Just a smidge. For some reason I thought you were basing your posts on home games only. I thought would have sold out our end of the away game myself in fairness, although I don't think we were far from it.

Not far from selling out the shankly but no-one in the main stand we give to Aberdeen etc.

Like I said, a good support nonetheless and a welcome change from St Mirrens paltry figures.

Also strange is County. I didn't even realize 4-5,000 people lived in that region. I am very skeptical of that stat. Higher than one city teams like ICT and St Johnstone? Doubt it. They love to tweak stats up there.

I love it when you wildly speculate about Ross County. Keep shooting from the hip, Rednyellafella.

Is red n yella the thick one or red n yellow?

From the evidence presented in going red n yella

Rednyella is the one that is either a) boring everyone, b) being wrong or c) being boring and wrong. Red n Yellow is a damn fine poster.

We need to stop worrying about attendances. Our attendances are amazing given the size of our country.

I have completed some research and compared the attendances of our top 16 clubs (by attendance) to other nations leagues where population is similar-ish

I have taken the top 16 teams in each country apart from Portugal and Greece who have 18 teams in their top flight. We still better them even if I only used the top 16.

I also went a bit further and worked out an estimate of what our average attendance would be if we had a 16 team Premiership and it came to approx. 11,000 (this was worked out using the 12 top flight teams and top 3 in the champ and St. Mirren, I had assumed St Mirren would have finished top 4 at the time when I started working it out......basically made an estimate for every fixture in a 16 team league using prior match attendances and educated guesses)

Current averages below

Country Ave Attendance Population

Belguim 11,612 11,259,000

Scotland 10,461 5,295,000

Portugal 10,101 10,311,000

Sweden 9,961 9,816,666

Switzerland 7,717 8,265,000

Norway 7,181 5,194,000

Denmark 5,901 5,673,000

Austria 5,135 8,608,000

Czech Republic 4,739 10,535,000

Greece 2,996 10,769,000

Serbia 2,595 7,103,000

Hungary 2,502 9,835,000

Finland 2,260 5,475,000

Croatia 2,014 4,230,000

Azerbaijan 1,840 9,651,000

Bulgaria 1,794 7,185,000

Slovakia 1,742 5,426,000

Belarus 1,623 9,481,000

Ireland 1,429 4,630,000

To be fair to Ireland Soccer is not the most popular football code in that country.

Rednyella is the one that is either a) boring everyone, b) being wrong or c) being boring and wrong. Red n Yellow is a damn fine poster.

I agree Red N Yellow is a damn fine poster.

I concede the boring part but when am I wrong? So I think the answer is A.

The Thistle general chatter is a soup rich full of your mehtastic posting output. See there.

Rich? Don't think so. You are rich, P45 is rich and so on...

I barely have time to post more than a few times a week.

Opinion comes in many forms and I'm sure there are posts you'd look back on and think differently.

Ever heard of the phrase "if you've got nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all!"?

Cheers lads ;)

Archived