Dunfermline Transfer Thread

A lot of folk will look at Moffat's goals to games ratio. Last year was just a total disaster. This season he has scored a decent amount but his hold up play and the way he links with Faissal has been important. That alone makes up for his 'lack' of goals. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moff reminds me of Brewster at times with the way he controls the ball so easily and brings others in to play. I think AJ gets pissed off with Moffat missing chances though and was never slow to stick him on the bench throughout the season. Moff missed glorious chances in the cup games with United and County so it might be nagging AJ that Moff can't cut it against stronger opponents. AJ has talked about measuring us against Premier and Championship teams and if that's the yardstick, guys like Cardle, BRE, Murdoch and Faiss breezed it whereas Moff fluffed chances. 

I wouldn't be amazed if Moffat was let go, given that he was regularly subbed during games. It's obvious AJ gets frustrated with his goals record. For the record I think he's a great player but like a few in our squad I'm unsure whether he can make the step up to the Championship.

Moff reminds me of Brewster at times with the way he controls the ball so easily and brings others in to play. I think AJ gets pissed off with Moffat missing chances though and was never slow to stick him on the bench throughout the season. Moff missed glorious chances in the cup games with United and County so it might be nagging AJ that Moff can't cut it against stronger opponents. AJ has talked about measuring us against Premier and Championship teams and if that's the yardstick, guys like Cardle, BRE, Murdoch and Faiss breezed it whereas Moff fluffed chances.

Come on, Brewster?

Played at a different level altogether so completely incomparable. Moffat is playing against painters and fork lift drivers.

Moff reminds me of Brewster at times with the way he controls the ball so easily and brings others in to play. I think AJ gets pissed off with Moffat missing chances though and was never slow to stick him on the bench throughout the season. Moff missed glorious chances in the cup games with United and County so it might be nagging AJ that Moff can't cut it against stronger opponents. AJ has talked about measuring us against Premier and Championship teams and if that's the yardstick, guys like Cardle, BRE, Murdoch and Faiss breezed it whereas Moff fluffed chances. 

Come on, Brewster?

Played at a different level altogether so completely incomparable. Moffat is playing against painters and fork lift drivers.

The bit in bold is where the comparison ends! 

Moff's ability to kill a ball and turn defenders is sublime and that aspect of his game can easily stand up to comparison to any great Pars forward of recent decades. The problem comes when it comes to analysing that great litmus test for strikers - sticking the ball in the net. On that front, Moffat can be horrendous. So often he turns to mush in front of goal.

He has never threatened to be the 30+ goal striker he was for Ayr. Just seems to be a personality thing - the guy clearly has huge ability yet so often turns to jelly when faced with simple chances. He has hit a glass ceiling in his career due to psychology, not ability. Find him that freedom and belief that Faissl found this year and he could be a great player but I think we've faced opponents recently who we could afford, offer more of a goal threat and physical presence.

I find it strange also that Moffat seems to go to pieces when presented with easy chances but then brings the ball down, beats two players and sets up a goal.

How many times does he waste a pass or win 40/60 headers etc? He's very efficient at everything apart from scoring.

I remember his first game against Annan, he nutmegged a defender then ran into the box and smashed it into the corner. I can't imagine him doing that now.

I don't know if all the stress of the move from Ayr with all the bad press he got from former pals maybe got to him but I do think it's a mental thing rather than ability. Trying to pass the ball inside the 18 yard box when there's a shot on is a bit strange when you consider his ability.

When Moffat first came on the scene at Somerset he was particularly 'raw' with the ball at his feet and his control was all over the shop for the first wee while. It was a big step up for him but he obviously developed in to a cracking player for Ayr in League One/Division Two over his time with us.

The one blight in his spell with us was in Division One/Championship when he couldn't get a game up front and spent the majority of the season on the wing. I'm not sure if Reid just didn't fancy him against better defenders or if Moff had shat in the gaffers lunchbox, but he failed to impress at that level.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on if he stays with the Pars.

I find it strange also that Moffat seems to go to pieces when presented with easy chances but then brings the ball down, beats two players and sets up a goal.

How many times does he waste a pass or win 40/60 headers etc? He's very efficient at everything apart from scoring.

I remember his first game against Annan, he nutmegged a defender then ran into the box and smashed it into the corner. I can't imagine him doing that now.

I don't know if all the stress of the move from Ayr with all the bad press he got from former pals maybe got to him but I do think it's a mental thing rather than ability. Trying to pass the ball inside the 18 yard box when there's a shot on is a bit strange when you consider his ability.

Depends what he's been taught. If there's someone who appears in a better position to score, he might pass it. He is more likely to provide a goal than have one provided for him. His playmaking is his most valuable asset.

I would be interested to see a shots to goals ratio to see who is the most efficient striker. (But you don't get football awards ceremonies where they celebrate efficiency...)

When Moffat first came on the scene at Somerset he was particularly 'raw' with the ball at his feet and his control was all over the shop for the first wee while. It was a big step up for him but he obviously developed in to a cracking player for Ayr in League One/Division Two over his time with us.

The one blight in his spell with us was in Division One/Championship when he couldn't get a game up front and spent the majority of the season on the wing. I'm not sure if Reid just didn't fancy him against better defenders or if Moff had shat in the gaffers lunchbox, but he failed to impress at that level.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on if he stays with the Pars.

He still managed 9 goals that season as well, which by all accounts was decent.

Archived