Gardening Thread

On 21/09/2020 at 10:39, deej said:

Anyone used a mulching mower? My grass grows faster than I would like, as I'm a lazy b*****d, and Aberdeenshire council have decided its not worthwhile to run a garden waste collection. 

Mulchers are good but youll be left with clumps of grass about the place if you cut less regularly than once a week or dont take your time for the grass to be dispersed by the machine. Then it'll get thatchy and mossy as f**k if it isn't already. But if you just want it short and green and thats about it then it'll be perfect!

Fuschia cuttings coming along fine too. Another couple of weeks and ill pot them up and let them overwinter in the greenhouse.

20200919_134111.thumb.jpg.33cf0056b3a39ed7862b23cf50ce9f84.jpg

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Was out removing leaves today and noticed daffodil bulbs poking through, that us at least 4 weeks earlier than I have ever seen in over 20 years gardening on the Ayrshire coast. That said I still marigolds, fuscia and geranium going strong so obviously an odd year.

I think its been a fairly mild Autumn actually. Over here on the East Coast I've still got bedding begonias in full flower, some Bacopa in good form for the time of year and my dwarf iris are about an inch high which is a bit weird.

I think its been a fairly mild Autumn actually. Over here on the East Coast I've still got bedding begonias in full flower, some Bacopa in good form for the time of year and my dwarf iris are about an inch high which is a bit weird.
Very mild, one frost here so far so nothing to really kill off anything too tall. Salt spray does for anything taller here. Will monitor the bulb situation as it's not really ideal. Hopefully it was the insulation from the leaf fall forcing them and they will lay dormant now. Lovely big toad too hibernating in the leaves but we have a "hide" for them in an old pot at the back of the garage filled with leaves and leaf mould that they bury into, happens every year.

Aberdeenshire council in their infinite wisdom don't do garden waste bins.. can I take my garden waste to the skip in normal bin bags? Or are they supposed to be in specific garden waste type bags?

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

It's a quiet time for gardening just now. I was looking at my lawn and wondering, is there anything I can do now that will given it a flying start in the spring? Is it worth working in seed now, or will frost just kill it?

Me too, I was looking at mine thinking, I won't need to cut that bãstard for months.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

4 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Do you use a flymo?

Shut up!

3 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I'm considering scarifying it but I think the vast patches of bare earth that will remain will look a bit embarrassing. 

Anyway I like moss. It's springy.

It's also green...ish.

Good idea for the lawn is a damn good forking !! Start at the bottom corner of the lawn and walk backwards so you are not walking on the forked grass. Every six inches stick the fork halfway in and lever it back to 45 degrees to lift the soil a bit and let some air in. If your lawn is a decent size it's a fair bit of work. Helps with drainage.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

It's a quiet time for gardening just now. I was looking at my lawn and wondering, is there anything I can do now that will given it a flying start in the spring? Is it worth working in seed now, or will frost just kill it?

Avoid walking on it if frosty. Rake up leaves regularly. 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/in-month/december/lawns

Indeed. The simplest thing for lawns over the winter is rake off any leaves and debris first. Let the light and air in to it to keep it from yellowing and preventing dead spots.

If you can, do as Deanburn Dave suggests and fork it vigorously over and over, let the air in and allow the water to drain away.

You can hollow tine your lawn too, similar idea to forking however it takes small cores out of your lawn and you can brush or rake sand in the holes to improve drainage.

You could even hire in a lawn slicer that will cut slits in the lawn an inch or two deep to improve aeration and drainage while encouraging new roots to grow.

Scarifying can be done any time of year but imo its ideal in the spring as the grass is about to start growing. The worse it looks the better it re grows normally. Even a wire rake over your lawn will make a difference. Then overseed dead patches.

You can buy a winter feed to thicken and toughen up the grass without it putting on much growth. This helps keep it from wearing out too much if there's traffic across it too.

All in all, the more work you put in over winter / early spring the better it will look!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
5 hours ago, throbber said:

The level in the back corner of my back garden is absolutely horrendous so I’m sorting it out with sleepers as illustrated in pic. I’m going to level it off so that at the high part the sleepers will be mostly underground so the soil there is tying in level with the slope and then it will be about 450 mm deep at low side. I’m just wondering what I should do with the existing grass? Someone said to just bury it in soil which would be much easier for me but other people have said to dig the entire square area up and put teram down. 

B238D88F-880F-4EAB-A452-B8DF7107B1ED.jpeg

Those houses at the end of the village were built on old mineshafts. Your house is sinking m8

• 7 months later...
On 31/07/2022 at 17:13, throbber said:

The level in the back corner of my back garden is absolutely horrendous so I’m sorting it out with sleepers as illustrated in pic. I’m going to level it off so that at the high part the sleepers will be mostly underground so the soil there is tying in level with the slope and then it will be about 450 mm deep at low side. I’m just wondering what I should do with the existing grass? Someone said to just bury it in soil which would be much easier for me but other people have said to dig the entire square area up and put teram down. 

B238D88F-880F-4EAB-A452-B8DF7107B1ED.jpeg

The guy who did our garden just dug up the grass and laid it face down and then covered with membrane which he said would kill it anyway and save having to dispose of it - seemed legit.  

29 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The guy who did our garden just dug up the grass and laid it face down and then covered with membrane which he said would kill it anyway and save having to dispose of it - seemed legit.  

I'd say its the best way to get rid of grass. Lift the turf, turn upside down and lay on the bottom. Wouldn't need membrane if it's just to be filled with soil as it'll rot quick enough.

If you're worried about anything coming through from the turf you could lay cardboard over the turf then backfill the area with soil. The cardboard will stop anything coming through and rot down over time anyway. Saves space in the wheelie bin too!

56 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'd say its the best way to get rid of grass. Lift the turf, turn upside down and lay on the bottom. Wouldn't need membrane if it's just to be filled with soil as it'll rot quick enough.

If you're worried about anything coming through from the turf you could lay cardboard over the turf then backfill the area with soil. The cardboard will stop anything coming through and rot down over time anyway. Saves space in the wheelie bin too!

I didn't give enough detail - in our case we were laying pebbles/stones so needed something to stop them disappearing into the soil.  To be fair, nothing came through but whether that was mainly due to the membrane or not I don't know.