Gardening Thread

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Cheers.

I liked the idea of the bacteria based moss killer as they effectively eat the moss and dont leave black patches.........however it says it only works in temperatures above 15c 😆, no much use in "Spring" in Scotland then !

I think the problem with my parents grass is that we never fed the grass enough fertiliser last year. 

The healthier the grass the less likely moss gets a chance to thrive.

10 hours ago, Leith Green said:

The amount of moss on my grass this year is an absolute joke. Front has never been great, but the back this spring is awful. First cut of the year a few days ago and it must be 50% moss.........

My mum (down at Porty) also has a lot more this year.

Wonder if this is because theres been more rain or something? Cant think of anything specific that either of us have done to our grass that would make it more mossy.

Any ideas from P&B? Will it improve with more sun?

First job is to get rid of it to allow the grass a chance to repopulate.

Sulphate of iron powder in water sprayed from a watering can will turn the moss black and it can then be raked out. 

Don't buy any fancy formulated stuff, just plain sulphate of iron suffices. 

11 hours ago, Leith Green said:

The amount of moss on my grass this year is an absolute joke. Front has never been great, but the back this spring is awful. First cut of the year a few days ago and it must be 50% moss.........

Wonder if this is because theres been more rain or something? Cant think of anything specific that either of us have done to our grass that would make it more mossy.

Some good suggestions above..

I found applying a spring grass feed a couple of weeks before applying any moss killer,

we used granular in both cases,

sadly folk with no knowledge ordering the same thing year in year out and not willing to listen.

Moss can be anything, cutting too short, not cutting, too wet too dry and lots of other reasons.

Once you've scarified (raked)(machine or rake) it out,

if the grass can stand up to it, cut, cut, cut on a very regular basis.

Grass grows up the way, the more you cut the more it will spread sideways.

A Summer feed around the beginning of July and more of the same..

End of grass late autumn, feed with an autumn winter type feed then scarify (no mosskiller) which removes any thatch not picked up when cutting , I'd try lighly first and if you can pick up a scarifier(good springbok rake will do) the better but as I said lightly then repeat the above the following year.

Hopefully all goes well....

11 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Did you bother breaking the earth up a bit? It looks like a badly filled pot hole.

I did break it up but it clumps together like that at top. It got a dumper load of top soil taken to my house in a dumper truck and I don’t think much TLC went into the process of delivering it to me.

I planted the Lily in a good mix of compost and gritty sand and layer of gravel for drainage so I have every faith they will come up just lovely.

14 hours ago, throbber said:

I did break it up but it clumps together like that at top. It got a dumper load of top soil taken to my house in a dumper truck and I don’t think much TLC went into the process of delivering it to me.

I planted the Lily in a good mix of compost and gritty sand and layer of gravel for drainage so I have every faith they will come up just lovely.

So apt given your profile pic.

Early tatties in today but despite the lovely sandy Ayrshire soil here I don't think I have ever seen the ground so wet. Glorious day today mind will help. Noticed the first purple sprouting broccoli sprouts are showing now too. Should get a pick in 3-4 weeks.

I had a massive strawberry bed (no euph) that started with 10 runners from a few plants I used to have in tubs. They are thugs though and over the last 5 years they have spread all over the raised bed I grow my veg in. Today I dug every plant out (over 100, well over) and replanted 20 of last years runners in a now more contained area. Old muscles are aching a bit tonight but it looks so much better and should ensure continued good crops for the next few years. 1st big job of the season ticked off.

On 21/03/2024 at 08:39, Leith Green said:

One of the things that can cause this is compacted soil. Need to fork it for aeration, especially during the rainy season. If that doesn't fix the issue it can sometimes be an issue of drainage underneath, if it's on a slope or a swell, but that would involve digging it up.

Good idea to look up the 'proper' way to mow your lawn so to not put your already delicate grass under too much stress.

• 2 weeks later...

My lawn is covered in mushrooms, any suggestions on getting rid? I’d read just cutting them while collecting the cuttings should work, but the lawn is too big to collect everything and then dispose of it in my garden waste bins, so hoping for another solution. 

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

My lawn is covered in mushrooms, any suggestions on getting rid? I’d read just cutting them while collecting the cuttings should work, but the lawn is too big to collect everything and then dispose of it in my garden waste bins, so hoping for another solution. 

Feed the grass,(nitrogen feed) a week or so later, I'd get the springbok rake out or use a scarifier to remove any thatch. 

Then cut (very) regularly and say mid July I'd do a light scarifying but avoid if dry, autumn (late Sept/Mid Oct, repeat the scarifying again..

Rinse and repeat next year..

There are other options, just google

16 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Could just leave them they don't do any harm. Usually this is a sign that your lawn is healthy. In fact they play a part in keeping the lawn in good condition.