Gardening Thread

I got a plastic greenhouse from dobbies for £30 yestedsy so I could plant my begonia and dahlia in nice and early.

Has anyone else got one? I have added a few bits and bobs to try and keep it a bit warmer inside as it isn’t the most robust thing going but it has more area than the glass ones which were more expensive. It froze over last night and the soil didn’t feel cold So I assume my plants survived. 

IMG_9138.jpeg

IMG_9136.jpeg

7 hours ago, throbber said:

I got a plastic greenhouse from dobbies for £30 yestedsy so I could plant my begonia and dahlia in nice and early.

Has anyone else got one? I have added a few bits and bobs to try and keep it a bit warmer inside as it isn’t the most robust thing going but it has more area than the glass ones which were more expensive. It froze over last night and the soil didn’t feel cold So I assume my plants survived. 

IMG_9138.jpeg

IMG_9136.jpeg

A few good sized stones left in the sun then placed in the “greenhouse” would certainly help.

12 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Is it pinned down? I would cable tie the back poles to the fence and a few tent pegs into the front ground bar because it will take off.

Yeah it’s attached pretty well to the fence - It was windy when I was erecting it so I am very aware how aerodynamic it is. Hopefully it gets the dahlia a good head start as some of them didn’t start blooming until September 23.

Just now, throbber said:

I have a south facing garden 

Don’t know what it’s like down with you but it’s shite up here today. I’ve chopped back all my plants though and I’m considering cutting back a rather unruly bush later (not Mrs Mullarkey’s).

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Don’t know what it’s like down with you but it’s shite up here today. I’ve chopped back all my plants though and I’m considering cutting back a rather unruly bush later (not Mrs Mullarkey’s).

It’s not too bad - as long as a bit of sun goes into the plastic it will enhance the light and heat a bit and get the plants going.

Im A bit worried my tulips aren’t making much progress as I think the soil is too damp for them. Nothing is ever straightforward.

7 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

We have a pair of absolute wallopers as neighbours. The previous owner, now sadly dead, kept a beautiful front garden, always well planted, fairly decent grass and kept the shrubs in check (as you must).

These wanks bought it 3 years ago and have done - this isnt a joke - nothing. Absolutely f**k all. Her old dad has been in twice and cut the hedge/grass as they were out of control but none of the shrubs were cut - some of them were about 12 feet high.

After 3 years, the lazy fucks got some old geezer gardener in and - inevitably - he had to cut down the shrubs right back to the wood , and now it looks like something out of a nuclear winter...................

17 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

We have a pair of absolute wallopers as neighbours. The previous owner, now sadly dead, kept a beautiful front garden, always well planted, fairly decent grass and kept the shrubs in check (as you must).

These wanks bought it 3 years ago and have done - this isnt a joke - nothing. Absolutely f**k all. Her old dad has been in twice and cut the hedge/grass as they were out of control but none of the shrubs were cut - some of them were about 12 feet high.

After 3 years, the lazy fucks got some old geezer gardener in and - inevitably - he had to cut down the shrubs right back to the wood , and now it looks like something out of a nuclear winter...................

Plastic lawn in 3…2…1…

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Plastic lawn in 3…2…1…

Thankfully we live in a conservation area so they couldnt do that - although laughably, despite knowing and doing fuckall about gardening they have some company come round and spray the lawn once a quarter.

Not that it will make any difference, its still covered in last autumns leaves 😆.

I’m moving house in 3 weeks, and my new garden is all of a sudden scaring the shit out of me. I designed my current garden to be really low maintenance, a wee bit of grass and then a few flower pots and that’s it. My new garden must have close to 50m of planted borders, so I’m going to have to learn fast how to maintain them. Loads of grass as well, but the sellers are leaving us their ride on lawn mower, so that’ll be easy enough. The plants worry me, though. 

4 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I’m moving house in 3 weeks, and my new garden is all of a sudden scaring the shit out of me. I designed my current garden to be really low maintenance, a wee bit of grass and then a few flower pots and that’s it. My new garden must have close to 50m of planted borders, so I’m going to have to learn fast how to maintain them. Loads of grass as well, but the sellers are leaving us their ride on lawn mower, so that’ll be easy enough. The plants worry me, though. 

7 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Sun 😂

It’s that bright light behind the clouds, and will still warm stones.

7 hours ago, throbber said:

I have a south facing garden 

Cool, or actually warm, but seriously, the thermal reserve of a few decent sized stones that were exposed to any amount of light would help maintain a slightly warmer environment within the “greenhouse”. The cheap-arse greenhouse I was compelled to install had a cement paver base that kept the interior warm all night compared to outside (and also meant you had to remove plants when things warmed up or you’d bake them)

13 minutes ago, TxRover said:

It’s that bright light behind the clouds, and will still warm stones.

Cool, or actually warm, but seriously, the thermal reserve of a few decent sized stones that were exposed to any amount of light would help maintain a slightly warmer environment within the “greenhouse”. The cheap-arse greenhouse I was compelled to install had a cement paver base that kept the interior warm all night compared to outside (and also meant you had to remove plants when things warmed up or you’d bake them)

I could try the stones I suppose.

i know it’s not much of a greenhouse but it’s just to get the dahlia a bit of a head start as last year I planted them in mid April and some of them weren’t flowering til September and my garden looked fairly colourless early summer. 

My tulips are planted at the front of my border which sits right at the bottom of the slope from my garden and I’m worried the water has just sat there too long and rotted them. I am going to raise the level a bit which will require more top soil so it doesn’t happen again next year and then hopefully I’ll get the display I wanted but I have a feeling I have drowned a good £50 worth on tulips over the winter. 

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

I could try the stones I suppose.

i know it’s not much of a greenhouse but it’s just to get the dahlia a bit of a head start as last year I planted them in mid April and some of them weren’t flowering til September and my garden looked fairly colourless early summer. 

My tulips are planted at the front of my border which sits right at the bottom of the slope from my garden and I’m worried the water has just sat there too long and rotted them. I am going to raise the level a bit which will require more top soil so it doesn’t happen again next year and then hopefully I’ll get the display I wanted but I have a feeling I have drowned a good £50 worth on tulips over the winter. 

If you’re worried, it’s worth a shot and gives you some nice accents to scatter the rest of the year. Again, it’s a small help, but that’s what you were feeling the ground for. Practically speaking, even some decorative stonework/concrete pieces could do the small, it’s all about thermal mass. If you were really worried, I know a lad who used to BBQ some stones to heat them before cold nights…till he got one a bit porous and moist…

I could just throw a thermal blanket over the thing when it’s freezing. It froze the first night I had it and it’s going to reach 0 tonight and Monday by looks of it and I don’t have anything in place yet. By time I sort stones out the frost will probably have gone. When I felt the soil after the first frost it wasnt even cold to touch so I highly doubt anything died.

I’ve added bits of cardboard and some glass wool to the set up. I might do another scrounge around when I’m next on a building site to get a bit more thermal mass.