Gardening Thread

I only have a small area to give a second coat to. Picking up the decking tomorrow for the seating part and d-rail to go on top of those diagonal sides to finish it off and I'll paint them a darker colour to break it up a bit.  In the boxes will be bay trees with white stones at the bottom of their trunks.

20230601_204417.jpg

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I only have a small area to give a second coat to. Picking up the decking tomorrow for the seating part and d-rail to go on top of those diagonal sides to finish it off and I'll paint them a darker colour to break it up a bit.  In the boxes will be bay trees with white stones at the bottom of their trunks.

20230601_204417.jpg

That looks like a better seating are than Lesser Hampden.

8 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

20230601_204417.jpg

You elected not to put in a footrest of some sort?

I have a few dahlias poking through but despite planting them a month ago they’re only about an inch out the ground except for one of them.

I got some giant lillies and they died in the pot I planted in within two weeks, completely rotten away. It was just multi use compost I used and it wasn’t overly soaked. 

22 minutes ago, throbber said:

I have a few dahlias poking through but despite planting them a month ago they’re only about an inch out the ground except for one of them.

I got some giant lillies and they died in the pot I planted in within two weeks, completely rotten away. It was just multi use compost I used and it wasn’t overly soaked. 

Sounds like your garden is on an ancient indian burial ground. You need a wee wifie with a funny voice to do an exorcism. 

Could also be vine weevil. b*****ds. 

27 minutes ago, throbber said:

Pish on the soil.

14 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

20230601_204417.jpg

Is that bird house massive or is it some kind of false perspective?

The project looks very professional - the moulding will finish it off nicely.

On 02/06/2023 at 06:57, throbber said:

Dahlias, mix four capfuls of tomato feed in four litres of water, then water once a week. My own react very well to this.

The pot you had Lillies in, did it have drainage holes in bottom and a layer of gravel or polystyrene in bottom?

43 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Dahlias, mix four capfuls of tomato feed in four litres of water, then water once a week. My own react very well to this.

The pot you had Lillies in, did it have drainage holes in bottom and a layer of gravel or polystyrene in bottom?

I’ll do that with the dahlia starting this week. They are just a bit slow for my liking.

Yes and yes re lillies - I had planted a dahlia in a pot with no holes in it so wasn’t going to make that mistake again!

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I’ll do that with the dahlia starting this week. They are just a bit slow for my liking.

Yes and yes re lillies - I had planted a dahlia in a pot with no holes in it so wasn’t going to make that mistake again!

Are the dahlias in a shaded area? If so move them to a sunnier area.  Flowers/plants have wide variations and it can be down to how they were cared for before you got them. 

Regards Lillies, just when you said they just rotted away, I thought they were waterlogged.

What size of pot are they in? Did you have multiple bulbs in each pot? As crowding can cause them to compete and kill each other off.

Most composts are fine for Lillies but John Innes no3 is probably the best.

8 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Are the dahlias in a shaded area? If so move them to a sunnier area.  Flowers/plants have wide variations and it can be down to how they were cared for before you got them. 

Regards Lillies, just when you said they just rotted away, I thought they were waterlogged.

What size of pot are they in? Did you have multiple bulbs in each pot? As crowding can cause them to compete and kill each other off.

Most composts are fine for Lillies but John Innes no3 is probably the best.

Well some dahlia I had at back of my patch and they lost the sun a bit in evening so I moved to opposite corner and some I’ve moved to pots to help a bit. It’s the spectacular ones from farmer gracy that I haven’t had much luck with and are slow but some of the cheaper and smaller ones I’ve got are shooting up quicker.

The Lilly bulb that went rotten was in a pot about 350mm square and I didn’t over water it although I did give it a good drink, it should still have drained out though as there were holes in bottom. They were giant lillies I had bought, I also planted 2 of them in the flower patch in garden and I assume they are just fucked.

I have freshia that are looking lovely now though. 

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

Well some dahlia I had at back of my patch and they lost the sun a bit in evening so I moved to opposite corner and some I’ve moved to pots to help a bit. It’s the spectacular ones from farmer gracy that I haven’t had much luck with and are slow but some of the cheaper and smaller ones I’ve got are shooting up quicker.

The Lilly bulb that went rotten was in a pot about 350mm square and I didn’t over water it although I did give it a good drink, it should still have drained out though as there were holes in bottom. They were giant lillies I had bought, I also planted 2 of them in the flower patch in garden and I assume they are just fucked.

I have freshia that are looking lovely now though. 

Just have patience with Dahilias, feed them as I said they will come on.

Pot seems fine for one bulb, maybe bulbs were poor, it can happen. Lillies seem to do better in pots/tubs than in the ground, I don't exactly know why but they do. Quality of soil might be a factor

Make sure drainage holes are unobstructed, raising pot a little can help.

Whenever you are planting something, before you plant put a handful of Growmore in before planting, helps all plants, flowers and shrubs establish and gives them a boost. Cereal size box is about £4.

Feed your beds with chicken manure mid to end April, spread it liberally all over beds. Its a long term feed, only do it once lasts a whole season and you will see a big difference. 20kg bag is £16 but it goes far.

The joys of gardening, so many anomalies but you learn as you go along. Don't be too downhearted if things don't work out. You learn mostly as you go along.

Gardening is good for the soul. I've been a self employed gardener for fifteen years and I'm still learning.

Father ted I was responsible of going a bit head down arse up when I made my garden feature early this year, I used 4 tonne of top soil to raise level in back garden and wanted a few shrubs in it straight away but I should have invested more in getting the soil properly ready for the summer (this was January) I think I should have got a pitch fork and mixed loss of compost and manure through it back then and planted things later in the year but i think the soil is responsible for lack of growth as it’s too much top soil and not enough rich organic stuff.

I still think I’ll get something out of my dahlias but I’ll be better prepared for next summer.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Father ted I was responsible of going a bit head down arse up when I made my garden feature early this year, I used 4 tonne of top soil to raise level in back garden and wanted a few shrubs in it straight away but I should have invested more in getting the soil properly ready for the summer (this was January) I think I should have got a pitch fork and mixed loss of compost and manure through it back then and planted things later in the year but i think the soil is responsible for lack of growth as it’s too much top soil and not enough rich organic stuff.

I still think I’ll get something out of my dahlias but I’ll be better prepared for next summer.

Print your posting on here and fork it into the soil.