Gardening Thread

• 3 weeks later...

That is of course hilarious but to answer your yes I have been busy in garden - I thought 24 lilys, 7 dahlia, 16 begonia and 5 bare root lupine off farmer Gracy in the new year. 

I planted all the lilys in my border a week ago Sunday, I didn’t have luck with lilys last year and after watching several YouTube videos on it realised that I’d soaked them too much so this time round I prepared some gravel at the base of them and then mixed up some grit in the compost I was planting them in to help drainage. I also bought 9 additional lilys when passing a garden centre that I planted in pots and also potted up my bare roots in them this week.

Im going to wait til April before planting my begonias and dahlias, I’m thinking of getting a couple of half barrel planters from dobbies as they’re on sale for £15 just now.

Im certainly suffering from garden obsession and my mrs getting annoyed about it.

16 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

This was never an arc I anticipated the poster known as Throbber would take but I am here for it. Go get them green fingers, boy.

I’ve been into it since lockdown which was the first summer I had a garden to myself.

I’m in my second house now and moved house April time so summer 22 I didn’t get much chance to prepare a decent garden and it’s only now that my garden is looking like the finished article so I have high hopes for this year.

Im not quite sure what part of it I’m obsessed with, I think it’s the anticipation and the satisfaction of seeing plants poking out the ground that does it for me so this time of year is the most exciting. By time it’s late summer and everything in full bloom I take less interest.

My mind is rarely on anything else rather than the garden and how I’m going to arrange things out there, it’s definitely not normal.

24 minutes ago, throbber said:

I’ve been into it since lockdown which was the first summer I had a garden to myself.

I’m in my second house now and moved house April time so summer 22 I didn’t get much chance to prepare a decent garden and it’s only now that my garden is looking like the finished article so I have high hopes for this year.

Im not quite sure what part of it I’m obsessed with, I think it’s the anticipation and the satisfaction of seeing plants poking out the ground that does it for me so this time of year is the most exciting. By time it’s late summer and everything in full bloom I take less interest.

My mind is rarely on anything else rather than the garden and how I’m going to arrange things out there, it’s definitely not normal.

Take it from someone who does it as a profession...its a constant thought at this time of year!

Having been a gardener (the council said i was one) for almost 40 years...

the autumn 'stripping' of dying back bedding, the soil preparation work then the planting of whatever edging plants, odd some wallflower bed then the back breaking mass planting of daffodil and tulip bulb BUT in spring the excitement and enjoyment of watching the fruits of your labour bloom . I still smile every time I see daffodils in flower....

Then in late spring the same cycle except mass plantings of annual bedding plants..

sadly the idiots in charge kept the same layouts except the plant colours were changed each year..

even now, the sowing of seeds, p***king off, potting out then planting them and watching, nurturing them to reach their peak still gives me a buzz...

12 hours ago, throbber said:

I’m thinking of getting a couple of half barrel planters from dobbies as they’re on sale for £15 just now.

Have you tried Mortonhall Garden Centre and Pentland plants? Both not much further drive from Porty.

I think the plants in both are a lot better than Dobbies as well (which was our go to bike ride place when I was a wee radge living in Gilmerton) as its now basically turned into an out of town shopping centre / meeting place for old people.

Back on the subject of gardens, our Camelia tree at the front gate has loads of buds and the south facing ones are on the verge of opening - Spring has almost sprung !

18 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Have you tried Mortonhall Garden Centre and Pentland plants? Both not much further drive from Porty.

I think the plants in both are a lot better than Dobbies as well (which was our go to bike ride place when I was a wee radge living in Gilmerton) as its now basically turned into an out of town shopping centre / meeting place for old people.

Back on the subject of gardens, our Camelia tree at the front gate has loads of buds and the south facing ones are on the verge of opening - Spring has almost sprung !

I haven’t tried mortonhall but been pentland plants a lot - I’m not overwhelmed by PP if I’m honest. I want to try the big one on Dunbar at some point.

I had some lovely dinner plate dahlias from Waitrose last year that I chose not to buy when I was in there on Sunday but I think I’ll get them next time I’m round that way and that will be the last of the bulbs I buy. I bought some lovely looking lily from b and last week and by time I got to planting them I noticed they were completely rotten and I hadn’t got a receipt.

I couldn’t help but buy another 5 lilys today from Asda so I now have 38 of them planted in the garden. I think I need banned from buying bulbs and tubers for my own good.

sunflower.jpg.d7769349b746e680416bbecce1ef6c48.jpg

Almost time to get the seeds going for these mofos..

I'm having a much earlier attempt at sweet peas,

p***ked off some well developed seedlings today into compartment trays

and put some straight into 'half' plastic pots on the fence,

good show last year but three weeks earlier this year.

(I normally bring on my own seeds but trying Dobbies Sweet Peas £1.99 in pot ones (ten healthy sized in each pot)

I do have a variety I sow myself just for cut flowers to hide the smell of my feet....

I'll do them usual time.

18 hours ago, Bob in Denny said:

sunflower.jpg.d7769349b746e680416bbecce1ef6c48.jpg

Almost time to get the seeds going for these mofos..

I'm having a much earlier attempt at sweet peas,

p***ked off some well developed seedlings today into compartment trays

and put some straight into 'half' plastic pots on the fence,

good show last year but three weeks earlier this year.

(I normally bring on my own seeds but trying Dobbies Sweet Peas £1.99 in pot ones (ten healthy sized in each pot)

I do have a variety I sow myself just for cut flowers to hide the smell of my feet....

I'll do them usual time.

Started some titan ones a couple of weeks in the cold frame with a food bag over them to help germination. Surprisingly they have all started to shoot up and when I went to check on them today a b*****d slug has been in at one of them.

53 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Started some titan ones a couple of weeks in the cold frame with a food bag over them to help germination. Surprisingly they have all started to shoot up and when I went to check on them today a b*****d slug has been in at one of them.

I have one of those so-called Aldi mini-greenhouses..

and place trays high as possible.

I also use coffee grounds sprinkled or as a liquid just as a protection. 

I hate slug pellets..

Sunflowers are our family plant and I have to grown more than a few..

Edit to add..

In troughs etc, I mix a handful of coffee grounds as slug deterrent and it is rich in nitrogen..

Have a google

Edited by Bob in Denny