Gardening Thread

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Father ted I was responsible of going a bit head down arse up when I made my garden feature early this year, I used 4 tonne of top soil to raise level in back garden and wanted a few shrubs in it straight away but I should have invested more in getting the soil properly ready for the summer (this was January) I think I should have got a pitch fork and mixed loss of compost and manure through it back then and planted things later in the year but i think the soil is responsible for lack of growth as it’s too much top soil and not enough rich organic stuff.

I still think I’ll get something out of my dahlias but I’ll be better prepared for next summer.

It's never too late to fire in the chicken manure (pellets). Just throw them down on soil surface and leave nature to sort it out.

Anything that needs a boost, handful of growmore at base. It's a ph7 feed, so you can use it for everything.

Guaranteed results.

13 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

It's never too late to fire in the chicken manure (pellets). Just throw them down on soil surface and leave nature to sort it out.

Anything that needs a boost, handful of growmore at base. It's a ph7 feed, so you can use it for everything.

Guaranteed results.

I’ll get on it this evening 😉

7 hours ago, throbber said:

Father ted I was responsible of going a bit head down arse up when I made my garden feature early this year, I used 4 tonne of top soil to raise level in back garden and wanted a few shrubs in it straight away but I should have invested more in getting the soil properly ready for the summer (this was January) I think I should have got a pitch fork and mixed loss of compost and manure through it back then and planted things later in the year but i think the soil is responsible for lack of growth as it’s too much top soil and not enough rich organic stuff.

I still think I’ll get something out of my dahlias but I’ll be better prepared for next summer.

Check the pH of the soil and as FT says, add some feed in. What kind of shrubs do you have? The reason I ask is I'd say chicken manure and growmore can have a slightly high pH for things like Heather, rhododendrons, camelias and other ericaceous (acidic loving) plants. I'd use a mix of bracken and ericaceous compost if so. Just chuck it on the border and lightly fork it in. Even leaf mold and bark based compost would be good.

And I'd be watering newly planted shrubs weekly this time of year too, its been very dry where I am anyway. If you do decide to mulch with compost etc then soak the plants first then again after you've mulched - stops the mulch from sooking up all the water from the soil!

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Check the pH of the soil and as FT says, add some feed in. What kind of shrubs do you have? The reason I ask is I'd say chicken manure and growmore can have a slightly high pH for things like Heather, rhododendrons, camelias and other ericaceous (acidic loving) plants. I'd use a mix of bracken and ericaceous compost if so. Just chuck it on the border and lightly fork it in. Even leaf mold and bark based compost would be good.

And I'd be watering newly planted shrubs weekly this time of year too, its been very dry where I am anyway. If you do decide to mulch with compost etc then soak the plants first then again after you've mulched - stops the mulch from sooking up all the water from the soil!

I have a couple of roses a viburnum some Japanese one (name escapees me) then a couple conifers including a giant one i got for free from a show home. I have a few geraniums planted but not flowering yet and a few dahlia that are sticking up and a few ones that are in pots as well. I have runnunculus that are through but not flowing and some begonia I planted a few weeks ago. I woulda been quicker going outside and just taking a pic but I’m pretty lazy.

I added chicken manure and more grow to the plants just then so hopefully I see results. I think I need to go and buy slug pellets next!

On 05/06/2023 at 22:06, Father Ted said:

Are the dahlias in a shaded area? If so move them to a sunnier area.  Flowers/plants have wide variations and it can be down to how they were cared for before you got them. 

Regards Lillies, just when you said they just rotted away, I thought they were waterlogged.

What size of pot are they in? Did you have multiple bulbs in each pot? As crowding can cause them to compete and kill each other off.

Most composts are fine for Lillies but John Innes no3 is probably the best.

After saying I was certain the lily’s in my big garden patch were dead (after the one in pot died after 2 weeks) I got this shooting through which my app tells me is a Lily 

IMG_5999.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, highlandmac said:

Not necessarily gardening but saw this plant whilst out,anyone able to tell me what it is?

IMG_20230710_132354.jpg

If you can upload a photo of the whole plant I might be able to tell the species / variety but Billy Jean King is 100% correct in saying Mahonia.

On 02/07/2023 at 22:58, Busta Nut said:

best way to kill a tree?

Chainsaw.

After that you could "ring" the tree by cutting just a bit deeper than the bark all the way round the trunk. It's essentially slitting the trees throat.

Drill some big downwards angled holes and pour in some strong weed killer. May have to do it a few times though.

I've never seen a copper nail kill a tree before but if it does work I'd imagine you'd need loads to kill a tree. Especially a medium to large tree. 

A combo would certainly do some real damage to a tree. What kind of tree is it?

This morning's bounty. Last pull of rhubarb but will make a nice crumble today. Strawberries likewise just about done, maybe one more pick coming but a poor summer for them. Peas are brilliant as are the beans but been sold a pup as they were French bean seeds allegedly but clearly a variety of runners which is annoying as I have a row of them coming on nicely for later in the season. Will say to the garden centre where I bought them next time I'm in. Early tatties keeping fine in the ground despite the wet weather.  A tiny bit of superficial scab but it just scrapes off. Courgettes giving me a couple a week which is plenty.

All things considered it's fine given the challenging growing conditions. 

20230716_122208.jpg