Gardening Thread

12 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Bump!

I’m working on my indoor garden.  Anyone have any experience of propagating a bromeliad pup?

My history of propagation is patchy at best.  

Wait till the offshoots (pups) are a decent size, about a third of the size of the main plant if you can wait that long, slice off with a knife very carefully and place the new plant in its own pot. If its not got roots don't worry, It'll survive and produce roots in its own time.

The longer you leave the wee pup with mum the less time it takes to flower. But it'll still take a few years....

49 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Wait till the offshoots (pups) are a decent size, about a third of the size of the main plant if you can wait that long, slice off with a knife very carefully and place the new plant in its own pot. If its not got roots don't worry, It'll survive and produce roots in its own time.

The longer you leave the wee pup with mum the less time it takes to flower. But it'll still take a few years....

Do you just cut it like a snake plant, or do you separate them at the root?

8 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Do you just cut it like a snake plant, or do you separate them at the root?

You'll have to take the plant out the pot, follow the stem of the young plant and cut it or pull it from the parent plant where they join.

This is a decent video showing how it's done

Any one got an allotment plot off the council, just got offered one today amazingly. Will go and have a look at it at the weekend, it's a bit of a trek but don't want to turn it down because of the location and it could be years before I'm offered one closer to home.

Screenshot 2023-09-21 142221.png

Mrs a-p Snr has one. The quality of the produce is light years ahead of anything you can buy in the shops but it is one serious commitment - she’s down there whenever the weather permits. A win-win though, it keeps her fit and active and also off the gin (I think). 

4 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Mrs a-p Snr has one. The quality of the produce is light years ahead of anything you can buy in the shops but it is one serious commitment - she’s down there whenever the weather permits. A win-win though, it keeps her fit and active and also off the gin (I think). 

Plus, it's a handy place to dispose of her corpse when you murder her for the inheritance.

25 minutes ago, throbber said:

Another beautiful au lait which is turning away from the garden 

IMG_7317.jpeg

Lovely flowers. I take it they are in the ground. I grew one in a pot but didnt do great and was eaten to bits by bugs. Every single pest likes dhalias i heard.

Great to still have colour late in the year. Im a fan of nerines which flower around now. I have just planted about 10/12 bulbs in a spot so hopefully by next year they will double up and flower more

14 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Lovely flowers. I take it they are in the ground. I grew one in a pot but didnt do great and was eaten to bits by bugs. Every single pest likes dhalias i heard.

Great to still have colour late in the year. Im a fan of nerines which flower around now. I have just planted about 10/12 bulbs in a spot so hopefully by next year they will double up and flower more

Yeah they are in the ground - I started them in pots for a bit but they were very slow in showing any life and I moved them about to sunnier parts of my patch hoping they would flower in July time. They only came up last weekend despite being planted in April. 

I went a bit dahlia crazy tbh and shoulda mixed it up a bit more. At least I’ll know for next year.

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, throbber said:

Ordered my spring bulbs off farmer gracy 

IMG_7792.png

IMG_7793.png

I'll give you a tip - in future I'd order bulbs from J Parker Wholesale (just create an account, don't think you need to have a business. They also have a retail side which is pricier but still cheaper than FG.). Farmer Gracy is horrendously overpriced and I'd guess you'd get most of what you've ordered from Parkers and about half the price. My guess is Farmer Gracy probably buy in from Parkers.

15 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'll give you a tip - in future I'd order bulbs from J Parker Wholesale (just create an account, don't think you need to have a business. They also have a retail side which is pricier but still cheaper than FG.). Farmer Gracy is horrendously overpriced and I'd guess you'd get most of what you've ordered from Parkers and about half the price. My guess is Farmer Gracy probably buy in from Parkers.

I got an additional 15% off that haul and it was free delivery (sent all way from Netherlands btw). I was in dobbies yesterday and they were selling 6 bulbs for about £5 but I’m getting 30 for £12 at FG so not sure the value is all that bad? It says use 60 Per square meter and I got 3 meters worth, im thinking it’s going to look absolutely spectacular come April.

1 minute ago, Derry Alli said:

I'm all in on this throbbed going down a massive wormhole raging about value and his plants not sprouting.

Who'd have thought a man with a phallus addiction would develop into growing bushes.

+1.

I got into it during lockdown around about the same time tbf.

• 1 month later...