Gardening Thread

5 hours ago, throbber said:

I could try the stones I suppose.

i know it’s not much of a greenhouse but it’s just to get the dahlia a bit of a head start as last year I planted them in mid April and some of them weren’t flowering til September and my garden looked fairly colourless early summer. 

My tulips are planted at the front of my border which sits right at the bottom of the slope from my garden and I’m worried the water has just sat there too long and rotted them. I am going to raise the level a bit which will require more top soil so it doesn’t happen again next year and then hopefully I’ll get the display I wanted but I have a feeling I have drowned a good £50 worth on tulips over the winter. 

If possible, when they've finished flowering and the leaves begin to die off, I'd reccomend you dig down a spade depth, chuck a good few inches of gravel in the trench and backfill the soil mixed with some sharp sand to help the drainage then replant the bulbs. Will help raise the level too if that's also what you're going for.

I've got tulips in a large raised be that's basically 5 inches of gravel and then 3 inches of sandy gravel underneath a sand, soil and leaf mold mix and they come up amazingly well. I launch some fertiliser in there regularly as it washes through pretty quickly though!

12 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

If possible, when they've finished flowering and the leaves begin to die off, I'd reccomend you dig down a spade depth, chuck a good few inches of gravel in the trench and backfill the soil mixed with some sharp sand to help the drainage then replant the bulbs. Will help raise the level too if that's also what you're going for.

I've got tulips in a large raised be that's basically 5 inches of gravel and then 3 inches of sandy gravel underneath a sand, soil and leaf mold mix and they come up amazingly well. I launch some fertiliser in there regularly as it washes through pretty quickly though!

Yeah thats a good shout and should have realised this was the issue a year ago and sorted it because it’s going to be November when I get round to fixing it.

That’s how it looks and when I moved house the garden had a dip in the corner where border is but as it’s at bottom of a slope it just holds water. Think I need to raise level to top of the post and add gravel as you said and it will be alright for next year.

I did what you described with lilys at back and put them on a ease of gravel/sand then mixed the compost up with grit and sand on top of it and the back of border doesn’t hold water so I’m pretty confident they are going to come up.

IMG_9162.jpeg

On 01/03/2024 at 15:03, throbber said:

I got a plastic greenhouse from dobbies for £30 yestedsy so I could plant my begonia and dahlia in nice and early.

Has anyone else got one? I have added a few bits and bobs to try and keep it a bit warmer inside as it isn’t the most robust thing going but it has more area than the glass ones which were more expensive. It froze over last night and the soil didn’t feel cold So I assume my plants survived. 

IMG_9138.jpeg

IMG_9136.jpeg

Bubble wrap on the base. Could put some ziplock food bags over the pots to keep them warm, speed things up a bit.

7 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Bubble wrap on the base. Could put some ziplock food bags over the pots to keep them warm, speed things up a bit.

Yeah good shout about food bags.

In still coming to terms with having killed most of my tulip display that cost me £70 and just praying my lilys come up.

I genuinely love you, Throbber. Stealing insulation from a site and now some poor family will freeze to death and nobody will know why. When you're in the Hague can you please shout "IT WAS TO KEEP MY FUCKING PLANTS WARM" then show them slides of your plants?

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

I genuinely love you, Throbber. Stealing insulation from a site and now some poor family will freeze to death and nobody will know why. When you're in the Hague can you please shout "IT WAS TO KEEP MY FUCKING PLANTS WARM" then show them slides of your plants?

I don’t know why you find it so amusing I like gardening. I’m trying to express just how annoyed I am that I have drowned a good lot of my tulips that cost me £70 quid and I had high hopes for but didn’t prepare my patch well enough for. My usual head down arse up approach to life once again causing me pain.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I don’t know why you find it so amusing I like gardening. 

Im not laughing at you. I'm laughing at the (what is, considering your posting history) preposterous nature of it all, as I see it. I genuinely enjoy reading your gardening posts and it's something I am not at all interested in.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

I don’t know why you find it so amusing I like gardening. I’m trying to express just how annoyed I am that I have drowned a good lot of my tulips that cost me £70 quid and I had high hopes for but didn’t prepare my patch well enough for. My usual head down arse up approach to life once again causing me pain.

landscaping-trying-to-landscape.gif.b1e08f46e9b5610ddadfb31882c5fc20.gif

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Im not laughing at you. I'm laughing at the (what is, considering your posting history) preposterous nature of it all, as I see it. I genuinely enjoy reading your gardening posts and it's something I am not at all interested in.

I’m glad it amuses you - I still enjoy drinking irresponsibly etc but am happiest doing that when I have a pretty garden to look at.

I also have a major hard on for watching the plants grow particularly discovering shoots popping out the soil. My mrs says I’m a weirdo but f**k her.

On 02/03/2024 at 10:02, die hard doonhamer said:

I’m moving house in 3 weeks, and my new garden is all of a sudden scaring the shit out of me. I designed my current garden to be really low maintenance, a wee bit of grass and then a few flower pots and that’s it. My new garden must have close to 50m of planted borders, so I’m going to have to learn fast how to maintain them. Loads of grass as well, but the sellers are leaving us their ride on lawn mower, so that’ll be easy enough. The plants worry me, though. 

In that scenario my advice this year is do absolutely nothing. See what is there and decide what you like and what you dont come the summer. Take loads of photos of what you like and tag or mark them then come the autumn start taking out what you don't like (the lot if it's not your thing) and start planning for next spring.

7 hours ago, throbber said:

I’m glad it amuses you - I still enjoy drinking irresponsibly etc but am happiest doing that when I have a pretty garden to look at.

I also have a major hard on for watching the plants grow particularly discovering shoots popping out the soil. My mrs says I’m a weirdo but f**k her.

That's your job.

• 2 weeks later...

The amount of moss on my grass this year is an absolute joke. Front has never been great, but the back this spring is awful. First cut of the year a few days ago and it must be 50% moss.........

My mum (down at Porty) also has a lot more this year.

Wonder if this is because theres been more rain or something? Cant think of anything specific that either of us have done to our grass that would make it more mossy.

Any ideas from P&B? Will it improve with more sun?

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

The amount of moss on my grass this year is an absolute joke. Front has never been great, but the back this spring is awful. First cut of the year a few days ago and it must be 50% moss.........

My mum (down at Porty) also has a lot more this year.

Wonder if this is because theres been more rain or something? Cant think of anything specific that either of us have done to our grass that would make it more mossy.

Any ideas from P&B? Will it improve with more sun?

Similar situation with my parents lawn. 

Going to be busy following the process laid out in this link:

https://www.lovethegarden.com/uk-en/article/control-and-prevent-lawn-moss#:~:text=Scarifying lawn to remove moss&text=Physically removing moss is done,to use a mechanical scarifier.

3 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Cheers.

I liked the idea of the bacteria based moss killer as they effectively eat the moss and dont leave black patches.........however it says it only works in temperatures above 15c 😆, no much use in "Spring" in Scotland then !