Motherwell v ICT - Scottish Cup 5th round

MikeyWellFan

Looks like Hall didn't pass the fitness test.

Not totally surprised we're trying something different, looks like 4321 of sorts;

Ripley

Law Kennedy McManus Hammell

Gomis Lasley Pearson

Cadden Johnson

McDonald

Subs: Samson, Laing, Moult, Ainsworth, Chalmers, Thomas, Leitch

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another ridiculous line up from McGhee.

Another dreadful performance from us in a Cup match.

Another defensive disaster show.

Another, ANOTHER fucking last minute concession and another cup competition pissed away.

We are a fucking parody of ourselves nowadays.

Only one person to blame for that today and that's McGhee.

Spending 80 mins shelling high balls towards your isolated, 5'7 lone striker. f**k me.

Looks like the crowd has turned on McGhee and the team. Booed off at half time, full time and throughout the second half.

No surprise though as that was fucking abysmal. Inverness thoroughly deserved to win and the winner was an absolute screamer. Congrats to the them.

Looks like the crowd has turned on McGhee and the team. Booed off at half time, full time and throughout the second half.

The only 'positive' to come out of today for me.

McGhee was getting involved with some fans in the Main Stand during the second half today so no doubt he'll be greetin about that in his post match interview. I'm actually eagerly anticipating the nonsense he's sure to bumble out.

Do you seriously think that McGhee is the type of man to be even remotely influenced by supporters calling for substitutions?

I do.

I think he was letting us know who is the boss today.

There wasn't really anything in the tie to be honest Inverness were just as average as we were and won it with yet another Fir Park worldy. A replay would have been a fairer result.

McGhee was right to try something different but playing Mcdonald as a lone striker was never gonna work he took far to long to change it.

It was a bit bizarre hearing 'Well fans shout you don't know what your doing at the manager and booing every long pass. The sarcastic cheering both times when Moult was about to come on was quite comical as well.

Disappointed to lose a late goal again especially in the cup. Killie next week really is a must win

Some of our fans are morons.

Punt it up the park - "BOOOOOOO".

Pass it back and keep possession - "BOOOOOOO".

If they said earlier our main tactic was going to be the high ball to Macdonald,I'd have saved my money and stayed in the house.

Not a great game and very little in it. We maybe just edged it. The first half was pretty dreadful with next to nothing created by ether side: Carl Tremarco's run and cross for the opening goal was about the first decisive, dynamic piece of play we had managed in the game. We actually started the second half better and there was some decent interplay involving Williams, Storey and, after he had come on, Roberts, and some genuine chances created. When 'Well equalised, though, we lost our way for a while and this wasn't helped by the bizarre substitution of our only striker, Storey, for Liam Polworth. I can only imagine that Storey must have been injured, as positionally it would have made far more sense to withdraw Vigurs, especially as he was a total passenger today: slow, negative in the pass and weak in the tackle. Fortunately, we still had Jordan Roberts. What a strike, and what a moment when the ball hit the back of the net. The Motherwell Twitter account sourly described it as 'speculative', when it was obvious Roberts knew exactly where it was going from the moment he drew his boot back. :rolleyes:

Great still to be in the cup and to be looking forward to the quarter final draw, but I really can't see this team going all the way again: there isn't enough pace or width in the team, and we're starting players like Vigurs and Mutombo who may have ability but simply don't work hard enough.

To be fair to McGhee the team he had picked was still in the cup with 10 minutes to go. Then he made the changes fans were screaming for.

More by luck than design to be fair.

I've generally been a fan of McGhee so far but today was yet another example of a bizarre McGhee tactical f**k up in a big game. Pearson in the hole supporting the lone striker brought back memories of Stephen Hughes being deployed at wing back against St.Mirren.

What did he honestly expect to happen when we spent most of the game pummeling high balls towards an isolated McDonald with two six foot plus centre backs hanging off the back of him? I didn't necessarily disagree with a three man midfield but it was plain for all to see it wasn't working and if hadn't been for poor finishing Inverness could have had the game wrapped up in the first 20 mins of the 2nd half before we scraped an equalizer as they missed at least 3 good chances to do so.

The constant booing was over the top, a win next week against Killie puts us 5 clear of them in the play off spot with a game in hand against Utd to come on the Tuesday. We get 4-6 points out those two games and we'll be laughing.

Problem is you can't see where the next win is going to come from, we've won 1 game out of 7 so far in 2016 and that was against Cove Rangers. A Killie team with a new manager on the back of a good result at Ibrox will fancy their chances next week, lose that and I really do fear for us and McGhee.

Archived