Worst Football Commentator

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tyldsley seems pretty harmless out of the commentary box, fairly self-depracating, and I'm not entirely convinced he's not told to commentate roughly in the way he does. Still, he's fairly terrible anyway.

I always hated Archie McPherson, but I can't quite remember why.

Motson was good, but he appears to have lost his way and most of his mental faculties by this stage. Lots of involuntary noises while he works out what his mouth should say.

Tyldsley is alright, decent even, until he has to commentate on an England game, or a CL knock out game featuring English teams. Then he becomes insufferable. I dare say if I wasn't Scottish, I'd say much the same about the Sportscene blokes as well though.

Jonathan Pearce does my nut in. The way he say Cazorla does my box in. Haha who can forget Phil Nevilles unforgettable co commentator debut against Italy. That was comedy gold. Archie MacPherson must have been a nightmare to listen to if you were blind. And oooooooooooooooh it goes just past but I loved his enthusiasm for the game. John Motson, Derek Rae and Peter Drury best for me.

Anyone, like me who remembers when, Alex Cameron, Ian Archer or the voice of a football Gerry McNee used to do commentaries on STV, now they were shocking

Gerry McNee only realising that a goal in an Old Firm game had been disallowed ten minutes after the decision had been given is an all time great commentary moment.

Alan Green is terrible, a self-absorbed pompous dickhead.

Derek Rae is excellent.

I think the only reason Alan Brazil hasn't been mentioned yet is because thankfully he isn't given much chance these days. Think last heard him on a Scotland game and he was a rambling idiotic whopper of a man.

Surprised no-one's mentioned Kevin Kilbane yet. Spent the entire Spurs v Leicester game on BBC the other weekend referring to the equally dire Jonathan Pierce as 'JP' at every opportunity.

"Great chance there JP. He hit the ball really well JP. I thought it was in JP."

Without doubt the cringiest commentary I've listened to in a long time.

Gerry McNee only realising that a goal in an Old Firm game had been disallowed ten minutes after the decision had been given is an all time great commentary moment.

Even when he discovered it, he didn't have the good grace to admit it.

A shot of the scoreboard came up and he said casually "The score is still 1-0 of course. The Robertson goal was disallowed."

He really was awful.

Would the people nominating ex player, co-commentators please stop? They don't count.

Even when he discovered it, he didn't have the good grace to admit it. A shot of the scoreboard came up and he said casually "The score is still 1-0 of course. The Robertson goal was disallowed." He really was awful. Would the people nominating ex player, co-commentators please stop? They don't count.

I take it I'm the only one who didn't mind Jacqui Oatley then.

Jonathan Pearce is the worst by a mile. Remember the world cup when he didn't know how the goal line technology worked. Martin Keown was explaining it to him like a child and he still wasn't getting it but he kept banging on about it as if he was right and everybody else was wrong

Archived