Worst Football Commentator

I take it I'm the only one who didn't mind Jacqui Oatley then.

Jonathan Pearce is the worst by a mile. Remember the world cup when he didn't know how the goal line technology worked. Martin Keown was explaining it to him like a child and he still wasn't getting it but he kept banging on about it as if he was right and everybody else was wrong

He even went on about it in subsequent games.

Anyway, Alan Green gets my vote. Just a c**t of a man. Firstly, he actually seems to despise football. Secondly, he doesn't seem to understand foorball. Thirdly, despite being Northern Irish, he seems to be a huge England fan and a monumental sycophant for English football. Fourthly, I just Googled him and looks like a massive arsehole

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jonathan Pearce is the worst by a mile. Remember the world cup when he didn't know how the goal line technology worked. Martin Keown was explaining it to him like a child and he still wasn't getting it but he kept banging on about it as if he was right and everybody else was wrong

I didn't mind Oatley, and - bar the goal-line fiasco - Pearce is probably my favourite commentator along with Jon Champion.

Even when he discovered it, he didn't have the good grace to admit it.

A shot of the scoreboard came up and he said casually "The score is still 1-0 of course. The Robertson goal was disallowed."

He really was awful.

Would the people nominating ex player, co-commentators please stop? They don't count.

McNee did a Rangers game in the CL, probably Kiev. Every single player's name ended in 'ev' or 'ov' so it was obvious how to pronounce them.

Except one guy Sergeev. It was obvious he would be pronounced Sergey-ev in the same way as the others but good old Gerry made it rhyme with 'heave' all night.

There was a guy who used to do Sportscene (I haven't heard him recently, but within the last 5 years) who sounded like he was commentating on a state funeral.

Paul Mitchell his name was

and you are correct, made the game sound about as interesting as a q&a with alastair darling

Pearce is an absolute car crash. He was still banging on about that goal line incident two or three games later so he can't even be excused from just getting flustered in the heat of the moment.

In a Sunderland game recently Defoe missed two sitters, but Pearce informed us that the second "wouldn't have counted, because the linesman has raised his flag for offside". Later in the game he states "Sunderland could have had two goals, if Defoe had taken his chances".

He's awful.

Even when he discovered it, he didn't have the good grace to admit it.A shot of the scoreboard came up and he said casually "The score is still 1-0 of course. The Robertson goal was disallowed."He really was awful.Would the people nominating ex player, co-commentators please stop? They don't count.

Remember when McNee thought Gazza had it in for him and reckoned he tried to take him out with a ball at Ibrox? He then only referred to him as the Rangers No8 from then on.

Which now I think about it, No8 is a good name for a drunk racist.

Remember when McNee thought Gazza had it in for him and reckoned he tried to take him out with a ball at Ibrox? He then only referred to him as the Rangers No8 from then on.

Which now I think about it, No8 is a good name for a drunk racist.

I think the world would have been on Gazza's side had it ever come to fruition.

I find Motson unbearable now, the only commentator I have to mute. He was maybe good once but it must have been before I started watching televised matches about 25 years ago.

Drury is also awful, with his "delicious" goals and "sumptuous" passes. Just comes across a pretentious p***k.

The worst summariser I've heard is Hateley, who managed to actually tell you less than you had just seen due to the fact he didn't know anyone's name. "It's a great pass in there by that man and a good finish by that man."

I find Motson unbearable now, the only commentator I have to mute. He was maybe good once but it must have been before I started watching televised matches about 25 years ago.

I think he got a lot of respect back then for how professional he was, standing there in the snow in his sheepskin coat, quoting figures, but for me he was really just a ceefax/statto who hadn't an original thought, a real dullard.

Once you notice that, you can't really unnotice it. He's got an awful habit of yelling out 'ohhh!' And then telling us what we've already seen.

Pearce is a totally different commentator when doing Bundesliga/Serie A games on BT Sport. He's actually quite good but repulses me completely when he's on MotD. Bizarre.

The worst commentator is Liam McLeod, the worst summariser/co-commentator is without any doubt Derek Ferguson. I'm genuinely surprised he even turns up at the right ground.

Pearce is a totally different commentator when doing Bundesliga/Serie A games on BT Sport. He's actually quite good but repulses me completely when he's on MotD. Bizarre.

The worst commentator is Liam McLeod, the worst summariser/co-commentator is without any doubt Derek Ferguson. I'm genuinely surprised he even turns up at the right ground.

He must have an inner ear imbalance.

Two years ago on Open All Mics he alleged that Raith Rovers were shooting down the slope at Starks Park.

The slope at Starks Park was eliminated in 1995 when the ground was redeveloped.

Archived