Top albums of2016

The most played albums in my iTunes released in 2016 are:

When You Walk a Long Distance You Are Tired by Mothers (not Zappa)

Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead

These People by Richard Ashcroft

Spinhead Sessions by Sonic Youth

The Catastrophist by Tortoise

You Are My Urusei Yatsura by Urusei Yatsura

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My top three will include Leonard Cohen, Carseat Headrest and John K. Samson.  Not sure what order, but those three records are sublime.  It's been a very, very strong year for music.

I saw Mothers play a short set at SxSW.  It was alright. She seems very pleasant.

Final list....

1 - Moomin - A Minor Thought (Skippy, bitty dance)

2 - David Bowie - Blackstar (Classic Bowie. Sepulchral space-jazz beamed in from bizarro planet 20??. ''Tis A Pity' was my most played track of 2016 and is totally in my all time top 10, and the only song I like which has saxophone, and what a saxophone it is! Amazing. Just about the most perfect album-album album ever)

3 - Mogwai - Atomic (because Tsar. First three songs are like waaaaaaaaaa!)

4 - Fuath - I (Find of the year, stunning! My top discovery according to last.fm. Just about the easiest album to play in one go, and then repeat, absolutely effortless. Scottish internet black metal that cuts straight to thrashing out)

5 - Cavern of Anti-Matter - Void Beats/Invocation Trex (A more fun Stereolab but not Fujiya & Miyagi)

6 - Debo Band - Ere Gobez (Ethiopian party bangers galore)

7 - The Body - No One Deserves Happiness (haunted ecclesiastical menace meets sludged howls of agony)

8 - King - We Are King (shimmery, ambient R&B with loads of actual tunes)

9 - John Carpenter - Lost Themes II (does what it says on the tin, horror film themes)

10 - Nonkeen - The Gamble (sounds like someone discovering a new planet in a sci-fi film)

• 4 weeks later...

Tough this year, and plenty of people have mentioned the very good Radiohead album, but I've enjoyed lots of other stuff too. From earlier on in the year I very much enjoyed the first Arkless album, and this was followed up with the proper full-length Arrows in Her record, which I really liked. 

I think my favourite album this year is Out of the Garden by Tancred which is excellent if you like that slightly-Sub Pop slightly-Death Cab sort of vibe.

Archived