Top albums of2016

In no particular order -

Thought Rock Fish Scale - Nap Eyes

This is a brilliant album that's been on repeat a lot. It's a chilled out indie album from Nap Eyes who hail from Nova Scotia. I pay no heed to Pitchfork reviews but they also rated it highly and it's totally justified.

Bones - Kno

If you're into instrumental beats check this album. There's 37 tracks and it's the perfect companion for a long drive/bus or train journey.

Meet The Seams - The Seams

Stone Roses meets Real Estate is how I'd describe The Seams. They have a great sound and the songs are catchy.

Being No One, Going Nowhere - STRFKR

I've been a fan of Starfucker (STRFKR) for a few years now and their new album does not disappoint. They are one of the best bands in America in my opinion.

Change The Colours - Puggy

Puggy are from Belgium and I heard 'Lonely Town' by chance on YouTube and had to check out the rest of the album. They have a pop edge to them which isn't a bad thing. It's a good album with only a couple of tracks I'm not fussed about.

Soul Food - KOGNITIF

Another (mainly) instrumental beats album, this one by KOGNITIF. This is some fine funky trip hop.

ETA - Looks like this will have to be off the list as it came out last year. Still a great listen though.

Death To Snakes - Double Negative

I like the kind of hip hop that has good beats and contains an intelligent lyrical flow. Double Negative fits the bill for me. They also sample 'Scar Tissue' and 'Bittersweet Symphony' to great effect.

A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead

Radiohead do it again. The album is outstanding, I'm so glad I got the deluxe vinyl.

Astronaut Meets Appleman - King Creosote

I was right into KC circa KC RULES and Rocket DIY but for some reason I didn't bother listening to his later stuff until now. For me, this album is in a similar vein to his earlier work.

Bien Ancré Dans Le Néant - Gredins

I like a bit of French rap and this effort by Gredins is decent. It's probably not as good as Le Gouffre's album from last year but still worth a listen.

There's more albums from this year that have impressed me. I'll post the others later.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Mandolin Orange are playing Glasgow on Feb 1st. Sadly it clashes with James McMurty and I aready have a ticket for that one.

I saw that. CC don't appear to have announced the venue yet though.

On 12 November 2016 at 22:19, 8MileBU said:

Have heard of:

ATCQ (class)

Skepta (pish)

Kanye (pish)

I'm sorry that you don't like Skepta and Kanye West. I have a feeling you might not like most of the others, but maybe you will.

I've also listened to Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool. I forgot to mention that one.

Got my subscription copy of Mojo this morning. Its their best of 2016 list.

What a lot of shite.

Bowie best of the year for no other reason than he died. Nick Cave's turgid effort at 3. Iggy Pop at 6. Paul Simon at 8. Beyonce at 12

Mojo are loathe to give credit to new music and are in thrall to the usual suspects but this year's list is piss poor even by their standards. I still subscribe out of habit but its become a tired and predictable rag these days.

Being pretty sure I've listened to everything I'm going to listen to this year, my answer to this is a toss-up between The Great Detachment by Wintersleep and Ghost Riding by RNDM, with the former probably winning because it's deeper and the latter at least winning best song with its opener Stumbling Down.

Bonus points go to Painting of a Panic Attack by Frightened Rabbit which I'm listening to right now for making absolutely no impact on my thinking for best of the year consideration while probably being the most-played for me since it came out. I can't explain this album, at all.

On 19/11/2016 at 12:31, BallochSonsFan said:

What a lot of shite.

Bowie best of the year for no other reason than he died. Nick Cave's turgid effort at 3. Iggy Pop at 6. Paul Simon at 8. Beyonce at 12

Mojo are loathe to give credit to new music and are in thrall to the usual suspects but this year's list is piss poor even by their standards. I still subscribe out of habit but its become a tired and predictable rag these days.

Really?  I think the Bowie, Cave and Simon records are all great.

On 19/11/2016 at 09:31, BallochSonsFan said:

What a lot of shite.

Not a Mojo fan but that Bowie comment is an absolute nonsense, Black Star is a staggering record this year or any other. Arguably best work territory

10 hours ago, Christophe said:

Not a Mojo fan but that Bowie comment is an absolute nonsense, Black Star is a staggering record this year or any other. Arguably best work territory

No it isnt.

It's a decent enough album. It's ranked as the best of the year by the music press because Bowie died. The Nick Cave album is ranked 2nd because Cave's son died. Skeleton Tree really isnt a great album at all.

It's just lazy from the music press. If in doubt, go for the icon. Especially if he died.

Always like when someone can't accept the opinions of others. So decide to try and put down the merits of said opinions by coming out with ( it's only because they died ) when infact, there's more than a good chance that widely lauded albums are seen as very good to great albums by people.

But YOU think it's not great. So it must be deaths.

14 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

No it isnt.

It's a decent enough album. It's ranked as the best of the year by the music press because Bowie died. The Nick Cave album is ranked 2nd because Cave's son died. Skeleton Tree really isnt a great album at all.

It's just lazy from the music press. If in doubt, go for the icon. Especially if he died.

I've written thousands of words on this very subject on a music blog so not going to get in the trenches again but I will say that I also retrospectively reviewed every Bowie post-mortem for it, and I have it up there. I concede that given the inmediacy I will have to review it again in say 10 years to get the bigger story, but to suggest it's just because he died is mental! How many times have you played it out of interest?

15 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

The Nick Cave album is ranked 2nd because Cave's son died.

Cracking up at the thought process at MOJOTOWERS...."anyone else significant die"...."no"....."what about sons, second cousins or goldfish? We need to fill this top 10 dammit!"

9 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Cracking up at the thought process at MOJOTOWERS...."anyone else significant die"...."no"....."what about sons, second cousins or goldfish? We need to fill this top 10 dammit!"

Let's review the Brady Bunch soundtrack retrospectively and give it ten stars!  That's another we don't need to worry about, lads.

1. The Avalanches - Wildflower

2. Barrie-James O'Neill - Cold Coffee

3. Bon Iver - 22, A Million

4. Joe Purdy - Who Will Be Next

5. Amber Rubarth - Scribbled Folk Symphonies

6. The Stray Birds - Magic Fire

7. Trashcan Sinatras - Wild Pendulum

8. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service

9. Mandolin Orange - Blindfaller

10. Daughter - Not To Disappear

Honorable mentions for the Joseph and Bess Atwell records which I listened to this morning and are great, and with repeated listens may well be in my final top 10.

On 11/25/2016 at 07:18, BallochSonsFan said:

No it isnt.

I know little about MOJO but I've re-visited Skeleton Tree several times since its release, each time enjoying it that little bit more. I'd go as far as saying that some of Nick's best lyric work are on the record.

I've a feeling it will stand the test of time in terms of my own listening cycle against classics like the Boatman's Call etc.

On 11/14/2016 at 08:00, BallochSonsFan said:

Mandolin Orange are playing Glasgow on Feb 1st. Sadly it clashes with James McMurty and I aready have a ticket for that one.

They (MO) are based where I live, good band and their shows are worth it.

Archived