Does Ross county's win today not aspire you?

Parkgatequeens

If clubs are not professional and are using part-time players it makes more sense to play within reasonable travel distances. Elgin vs Annan as a league fixture four times a season is bonkers.

PISH!!! Half our players and management come from Glasgow ffs!!! Similarly a lot of Elgins/Annans players come from the central belt!!! Absolute nonsense. Winds me up no end when you hear this, no part time club has any interest in playing locally!!!! Nobody, not from the players to the fans to the board room!!!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely today's semi final victory today against Celtic makes you wonder. I know this has been done to death, but some of you must be wondering how far your club could go? Linlithgow, Clydebank, Cumnock, Oban and the like surely should be thinking about the bigger picture. There has to be a way that will work for everyone.

Clydebank in the seniors.

I'm surprised its never been tried before!

The clues in the name- Ross and Cromarty has a population of almost 50,000.

Apart from Inverness there is not really any competing teams around them and its too far away from Glasgow for the old firm to have much of an effect

Pish

Like that matters why? The Rose scored more and conceded fewer against Ross County than against Ross County than against Kilsyth in a friendly. On the other hand I've seen linlithgow pump a strong Dundee Utd in a friendly. East Kilbride have the potential to go a long way now.

Yup,and i think that anyone who watched the EK chairman's interview from the proposed site of the new stadium yesterday would have been impressed by the plans already in place for this community club.http://eastkilbridecommunitytrust.co.uk/east-kilbride-community-trust-unveils-plans-for-a-new-multi-purpose-community-stadium/

PISH!!! Half our players and management come from Glasgow ffs!!! Similarly a lot of Elgins/Annans players come from the central belt!!! Absolute nonsense. Winds me up no end when you hear this, no part time club has any interest in playing locally!!!! Nobody, not from the players to the fans to the board room!!!

I totally understand why a SFL club would not want to play locally, finances both from sponsors and SFA would drop. Now just because they don't want to do it wouldn't mean it would be better for the whole of Scottish football if there was a proper pyramid with 2 elite leagues and a feeder system to get into those 2 leagues which would incorporate the majority of SPL1/2 teams and lowland/junior teams

Line-ups please for this to be remotely relevant.

Sure it's been asked on the lowland thread, but pretty sure it was the East Kilbride amateurs that they played.

But if not it DEFINITELY means that the candy would beat the celtic one nil. No doubt about it.

You managed to ask all of them?

You'll find there's a fair few players in the Juniors and elsewhere who left league clubs due to the travelling involved. As for travelling fans, in many cases they are absolutely dire. Nobody benefits.

You'll find there's a fair few players in the Juniors and elsewhere who left league clubs due to the travelling involved. As for travelling fans, in many cases they are absolutely dire. Nobody benefits.

The number of fans that follow lower league SPFL clubs to away matches proves that they arent interested in a national league at that level!

How many fans go from Elgin to Annan or Stranraer to Forfar etc etc

A convenient excuse for not being good enough tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

The number of fans that follow lower league SPFL clubs to away matches proves that they arent interested in a national league at that level!

You have absolutely no idea what you're speaking about.

Out of our 3 games to Elgin, Berwick and Annan I've only been to 1. That doesn't in any way shape or form mean I don't want Arbroath to play in a national league.

We've had a two tier national league for decades before even the first Brake Clubs for away supporters were formed for travelling fans heading from the likes of Kilmarnock up to Dundee or Aberdeen. Are you suggesting that was somehow a sign these teams weren't interested in a national league?

Or for that matter the lack of real away fans in appreciable numbers until fairly modern times (unless it was a game involving one of the Two Cheeks, who have always had "fans" up & down Scotland solely due to their perma-winning of trophies, along with more sinister reasons) due to Scotland's historically piss poor transport network & lower levels of income for leisure (again until fairly modern times).

Whilst I agree there's too many clubs in an all-in national league rather than some sort of regional split from tiers 3 or 4 (from the financial perspectives of the clubs), your particular argument is a non sequitur

You said whilst I agree that there are too many clubs in an all in national league!

That is exactly the point I was making and backing it up with the fact that nobody travels to watch these games

If Queens Park were playing Pollok,Talbot and Bankies their crowds would be bigger and there'd be more interest in the games than them playing Elgin or Berwick!

You have absolutely no idea what you're speaking about.

Out of our 3 games to Elgin, Berwick and Annan I've only been to 1. That doesn't in any way shape or form mean I don't want Arbroath to play in a national league.

He's spot on for many lower league games. I've seen 12 Elgin fans at Albion Rovers on a Saturday out of a crowd of 320, maybe 20 Peterhead at Stirling on a Saturday out of a similar attendance, I'm sure that's even worse for midweek games, and it's a regular occurrence.

How that is any benefit to football in Scotland is anyone's guess.

Watched the Real Madrid game on Sunday. When Modric scored the winner it cut to the two dozen madrid fans at the game. Think it's time they went regional in Spain......

There is no tradition of travelling support in Spain, which I'm sure you know. I think Real Madrid might just about get by on poor away supports at the Bernabeu

Archived