Does Ross county's win today not aspire you?

Parkgatequeens

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oban Saints....lost 2-1 to Colville Park in the West on Saturday,but in the last 16 of the Scottish from where,like Harestanes last season,the winner will qualify for the 'big' Scottish.

Decent set up I'm told,and of course they also host the annual Keyline Tournament and compete against opposition from the SFL and HL.

:)

Overall there's a decent set-up though they only use Mossfield Stadium when there's no shinty on. They usually play games at Glencruitten Park (which is a public park) and use the changing facilities at nearby Oban Lorne RFC. All three sports grounds (shinty, rugby, football) within a five minute walk of each other.

Glencruitten:

The Keyline Cup at Oban Lorne and Mossfield:

Oban Lorne and Mossfield on non-matchday:

Been to the Oban tournament on several occasions and they employ Mossfield Stadium (the shinty ground), and the rugby club next door for games. Oban Saints don't really have any facilities themselves.

Still, I think they'd be a good addiition to semi-pro football as they are a well run club.

Elgin City and Annan Athletic are the most recent examples of a non-league Senior team enter the national leagues without advancing beyond the bottom tier. Neither of them are ideally located for a part-time team competing nationally. Yet they seem to draw crowds of 400-500 over a 36 game league season with another 3 cup competitions to compete in. I imagine the crowd numbers are on a par with some of the best Junior clubs who benefit from regionalisation and have shorter seasons.

If that's a worse case scenario, is it not a better situation than a lot of Junior clubs find themselves?

Instead of another report like the one from Henry McLeish. All the clubs from the SPFL, SJFA and the other Senior non-leagues should set a time aside and have a conference. Try and gain some sort of consensus over how club football in Scotland should progress. It might not lead to a noticeable change, but a discussion between all sides might sow some seeds.

Elgin City and Annan Athletic are the most recent examples of a non-league Senior team enter the national leagues without advancing beyond the bottom tier. Neither of them are ideally located for a part-time team competing nationally. Yet they seem to draw crowds of 400-500 over a 36 game league season with another 3 cup competitions to compete in. I imagine the crowd numbers are on a par with some of the best Junior clubs who benefit from regionalisation and have shorter seasons.

If that's a worse case scenario, is it not a better situation than a lot of Junior clubs find themselves?

Instead of another report like the one from Henry McLeish. All the clubs from the SPFL, SJFA and the other Senior non-leagues should set a time aside and have a conference. Try and gain some sort of consensus over how club football in Scotland should progress. It might not lead to a noticeable change, but a discussion between all sides might sow some seeds.

eh... Junior season starts 3rd Saturday in July and the better sides will still be playing in mid June. The SPFL sides start a bit earlier but in the lower leagues are done with - playoffs apart - by the end of April.

The biggest issue as far as I can see from speaking to people who watch the top level of Junior football is that to become an Elgin or an Annan means to potentially never lift a bit of silverware again and to have to stop going every week because of increased travel and admission costs. The East Region have moved away from a cup-heavy programme in the past few years but in the West, cups are still a significant proportion of games played. Ok the cups have little currency outwith this corner of Scottish football but at the time they are an event, especially for the clubs no one fancies to win.

For length of season I had meant more the number of games played.

This is where the west particularly has issues. The league season of 22 games is far too short for a league that essentially ( although it doesn't now within the structure) sits comparably at the level of the fifth tier in this country. Far too few league games IMO

For length of season I had meant more the number of games played.

But a large number of cup games are also played so it is not wildly different. A team in SPFL L2 being knocked out at first hurdle and finishing mid-table will play 39 games. A team in the West's top flight will play a minimum of 30 games I think. However, it's more likely they'll win a few cup ties at least.

I haven't kept decent records for a few years now but in 2010-11 here are the numbers:

Meadow: 45

Arthurlie: 39

Talbot: 49

Pollok: 40

Largs: 33

Rob Roy: 41

Beith: 49

Kilbirnie: 39

Cumnock: 38

Petershill: 41

Lanark: 34

Glencairn: 32

I'm not sure if it's a bite you are looking for but you are trying very hard. Very few if any on here give a fvck about Heston, Oban or St Cuthberts.

No point telling him on his third account after Truthhurts and Scottishyeltz were banned...!

Pish

This 100%. People always state that Ross County and Caley are far enough away from Glasgow for them not to pull in fans in their droves. But this is false. There are Celtic and Rangers buses leaving the North every week to head to Glasgow. Then you have the fans that have no interest in going to the football that will watch them on TV and not venture down to Victoria Park.

There is a new generation of fans growing up having Ross County and Caley as their number one club and that is wonderful. But to many that watched football pre 1994 we will always be the little team. People of that age all have Rangers or Celtic as their "big" team, although there are many more Aberdeen fans. I assume as that was the closest premier team before.

Archived