Atletico Farfar v Stranraer

Nearly fell over when realised midfield was Young, Hodge an O'Brien, not surprisingly only one (TOB) capable of making a forward pass.

As for Martin out wide while wide men clutter the bench. Mind boggling stuff.

Swankie's terrible miss summed us up this year.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bollan in not making subs shocker

Aye, we're taking bad with it. Dick used to make 3 changes every week. Usually involving Sanny, Foxy and Danny. (Regardless of how anyone in the team was playing). It's gone from one extreme to the other.

TOB star man in the middle of the park............i am sure i heard someone suggest that a while ago (and shot down at the time) #betterthanbollan

Yes, Bollan will take credit for that. He also thinks the improved performance in 2nd half (starting from a very low bar!) was due to him changing shape - a shape that had Hodge as a creative midfielder/winger and Martin (poor lad) as a winger! Deluded - flukiest point this season. I fear for who his new out-of-a-job striker might be if that team selection is an indication of his research and judgement on his own players. And no wonder the striker's not keen, with the prospect of playing in front of that midfield.

Not confident Bollan's learning skills are quick enough to save this season

There is a case for saying that if you introduce 3 subs you upset the balance of the team. If Swanks had put his chance away no one would be complaining.IMO that's the best game that Swanks and Young have had this season. The 3 guys that G.B. Has brought in all look sound. Andy Ryan took his goal well and gave 100%. Give the manager a break!

There is a case for saying that if you introduce 3 subs you upset the balance of the team. If Swanks had put his chance away no one would be complaining.IMO that's the best game that Swanks and Young have had this season. The 3 guys that G.B. Has brought in all look sound. Andy Ryan took his goal well and gave 100%. Give the manager a break!

Fair comment for the back 4, never a good idea to change if you don't have to, but Bollan just doesn't use subs at all in a tactical sense.

We've noticed after only 5 games, Airdrie fans have already commented on it.

Is every other manager wrong?

Rose game was a prime example, guys that were clearly exhausted after 90 were still on the park at 120.

The game's all about opinions I suppose. I thought Swanks was poor again. Lots of moves breaking down when the ball got to him, waiting on the ball to come to him, very little tracking back to support his full back (one terrible moment later in the second half when he went to sleep at one of their corners and his man ran right off him and set up a chance and another in the first half where it took 2 shouts from the centre half and one from the left back before he covered his midfielder). Add that to his one on one against the keeper which he should still be having nightmares about.

I'm not one for saying get the subs on for no reason - but when you are up against 10 men late on, I don't think we'd have lost anything by swapping Swanks for Smith/Hay and moving the midfield about to accommodate one out and out winger to try and stretch them a bit more.

One plus point with the new manager is that he doesn't appear reluctant to drop players who haven't been hitting their best form - Omar, Danny, Nicoll, Foxy, Hodge, Hay and Smith have all been benched after "iffy" performances.

Maybe, but that was a game we really needed to win and, especially with Stranraer down to 10 men, was there any need to keep with Young and Hodge and O'Brien in midfield? Stuck me he was happy with the point, with away games to teams second and third coming up it's hard to be too convinced.

Also there was absolutely no one in that team, new or otherwise, that looked good or best of the season in that first half, to even suggest it is ludicrous (particularly given out form in the first month), if Stranraer had their shooting boots on they would have been out of sight before we had even managed a shot on target.

We could have been 3 down at H/T .When they were reduced to 10 men I would have brought on Danny and Omar and gone with 3 up front .

That's why I said you should of got the job with uncle Colin as your assistant and Charlie as coach , maybe next season

Archived