Queenies v Fourth Place Certainties Championship 13/2/16

Sounds like Saints were really lucky to escape a thumping from the clearly superior Queens.

No doubt if the penalty that every one seems to think should have been given was given, Queens would probably have just got angry and knocked in a few more goals to pay us for our cheek in going ahead.

Enjoy your night.

P.s GIRUY

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Hutton was very poor the first few games h played but over past 4 or 5 games he has really come onto a game. I thought he linked up well with Murdoch today. Both seemed to like to take a touch then run at other midfielders. Lack of actions and match fitness caught up with Murdoch.

What was wrong with Thomson today -injured or dropped? Atkinson done OK and all that was expected of him but his kicking second half was poor and a couple of times he was well beat by St Mirren attempts had they been on target (I don't think he knew where his far post was a few around me thought they had gone in). Saying that he kept a clean sheet and got away with them and that's what counts

Harris scored via a deflection and the best move of the game was when Harris forced Langfield into a good save after good play with Russell, then he also hit the post so he could have had a hat-trick.

Thought we were going to blow it after creating some very good chances in the first half. I was worried that Saints would impose their physical game as they did in the first game at Palmerston. When I saw our lot packed with wee guys, I feared the worst.

I did want Harris subbed for someone stronger, as we were in danger of getting muscled out in the second half; but then he scored. Thought young Jim did well in goal with some excellent saves. Higgins and Dowie were fairly solid. Obviously not a lot between these sides this season. Thought both gave the ball away too easily and made mistakes playing out from the back that better teams would have punished.

Enjoyable game overall.

According to Rae, the ref didn't see the penalty incident. What the f**k was he looking at then?

https://soundcloud.com/stmirrenradio/alex-rae-qos-1-0-stm

Thats a bizarre claim from the ref given he had his whistle in his mouth ready to give it. Although, I suppose its less bizarre than him playing advantage

I don't believe he didn't see it as as Mr X says, he put the whistle to his lips. I reckon he probably thinks he'll get less slack saying he didn't see it as opposed to saying he let the boy through to have his shot.

FWIW I can recall a ref allowing play to continue after a foul in the box last year some time. I'm not sure what game it was but Liverpool are in my head. He was given bags of credit at the time. FWIW (again), I'd be fizzing if I was a St Mirren fan about the incident.

I didn't see any deflection with the goal and I had a great view. Did anyone else see it as a deflected goal? :o

I don't believe he didn't see it as as Mr X says, he put the whistle to his lips. I reckon he probably thinks he'll get less slack saying he didn't see it as opposed to saying he let the boy through to have his shot.

FWIW I can recall a ref allowing play to continue after a foul in the box last year some time. I'm not sure what game it was but Liverpool are in my head. He was given bags of credit at the time. FWIW (again), I'd be fizzing if I was a St Mirren fan about the incident.

I didn't see any deflection with the goal and I had a great view. Did anyone else see it as a deflected goal? :o

Yes, it took a slight deflection.

Certainly didn't see it from where I was (next to the away fans) and I thought I had a good view :lol:

'Didn't see it' is a standard excuse for, 'Don't want to discuss it with you.'

Well I've made my mind up Ludo and that's final :ph34r:

'Didn't see it' is a standard excuse for, 'Don't want to discuss it with you.'

Maybe. He did come over and talk to Rae after the latter had been bending the ear of the linesman for a while. As you say, that would have been an easy cop out. Just doesnt stack up with what happened.

Maybe Bobby_F can clear up what happened?

Maybe. He did come over and talk to Rae after the latter had been bending the ear of the linesman for a while. As you say, that would have been an easy cop out. Just doesnt stack up with what happened.

Maybe Bobby_F can clear up what happened?

Same ref as last week?

Yes, the ball did deflect off a defender's leg on the way in but the shot was on target and was going in anyway.

Yeah, Im not sure what he was thinking. He definitely was going to give it. Either he played advantage which seems strange, or changed his mind

I'm going for "changed his mind".

A good chance to score did immediately follow, but there's no way that it was a better chance than that presented by the award of a penalty.

As noted elsewhere, this was a ref who was quite prepared (correctly) to let play run for a few seconds and then bring it back if the advantage didn't materialise. If he could do that for free-kicks, he could do it for penalties.

I think he just reached the view that it wasn't a penalty. I'm not even sure that he was wrong in that.

Body language that suggested he was giving it, certainly made that view more controversial though.

I didn't think the goal was deflected either.

Don't suppose it matters much, either way.

I liked Murdoch, but continue to find Hutton frustrating. His game lacks care.

Agree with you there. Hutton shows does some excellent things but I am half expecting him to give the ball away with a slack pass after just

making an excellent tackle or run.

As for the pen, everybody in the ground saw the incident, some with a good view and some, including me at the Portland End, not. Definitely a big call which went our way. We have all seen pens given for a lot less.

Archived