Rugby or American Football!?

Loon From Outta Toon

A set piece in football involved one, maybe two or three, players kicking a ball and happens a dozen or so times a game. A play in American football involves every player, on both sides, and happens every time the ball is in play. The amount of information the players have to learn is absolutely immense.

You seem to think I have a problem with the sport itself. The fact that retaining information on tactics and placement isn't new nor isolated to American football, nor does it make it "clever" to know what you're doing on a play.

It has its place but to put it on a pedestal as a more intelligent sport? I don't think so.

ETA: spelling

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You seem to think I have a problem with the sport itself. The fact that retaining information on tactics and placement isn't new nor isolated to American football, nor does it make it "clever" to know what you're doing on a play.

It has its place but to put it on a pedestal as a more intelligent sport? I don't think so.

ETA: spelling

I dont care if you have a problem with it, to be honest :lol:

No, having to remember stuff isnt clever, as such. However, Im not sure you actually appreciate the level of detail and the sheer amount of information the players have to know or the level of detail that goes into creating the plays in the first place.

And thats before you even get into the whole aspect of the coaches/players calling plays based on the game situation, opposition formation etc.

Couldn't agree with Mr X any more.

And Bobby I respect your opinion but disagree with you, I used to think exactly the same as you until I started watching it...

Like I said, the intricate detail, and clever play calls, is what got me hooked in the first place.

I dont care if you have a problem with it, to be honest :lol:

No, having to remember stuff isnt clever, as such. However, Im not sure you actually appreciate the level of detail and the sheer amount of information the players have to know or the level of detail that goes into creating the plays in the first place.

And thats before you even get into the whole aspect of the coaches/players calling plays based on the game situation, opposition formation etc.

Yeah, so much more different than other sports.

I agree perhaps, we're disagreeing on the definition of "clever" here. I tend not to use it for basic intelligence about retaining information used for your job.

Couldn't agree with Mr X any more.

And Bobby I respect your opinion but disagree with you, I used to think exactly the same as you until I started watching it...

Like I said, the intricate detail, and clever play calls, is what got me hooked in the first place.

I'll take your word for it, I don't doubt there is skill involved in it.

But I don't think I'll be watching any time soon.

Yeah, so much more different than other sports.

I agree perhaps, we're disagreeing on the definition of "clever" here. I tend not to use it for basic intelligence about retaining information used for your job.

Well, yes it is different. Its an easy sport to misinterpret but if you've ever played or watched - and by watched I mean taken the time to understand whats going on - its clearly a "clever" sport

The 'cleverness' is somewhat undermined by the fact they have to spend 3-4 minutes each time they make a decision to work it out. There are plenty of other sports as tactically complex as American Football where these decisions have to be made then and there, without time allowed for working it out.

The 'cleverness' is somewhat undermined by the fact they have to spend 3-4 minutes each time they make a decision to work it out. There are plenty of other sports as tactically complex as American Football where these decisions have to be made then and there, without time allowed for working it out.

3 or 4 minutes? :lol: You get 40 seconds between one play finishing and having to snap the ball for the next, everybody back in position etc.

Like?

Where have all you "stop start" been watching rugby? Because whenever I watch they stop all the time for scrums. Then the scrum collapses and they have to do it again. Repeat until the Pim's has run out.

Fucking penalties left right and centre too. I wonder what's more popular in Scotland, Ruggers or American football....?

Know countless people that have gone to Murrayfield, watch Scotland, that don't have a fucking scooby what's going on, including myself, think I know 2 genuine rugby fans. On the other hand I know loads of people that watch and follow the NFL and could tell you what was going on, understand the rules.

Rugby is fucking dire, of course, that's just my opinion and preference though.

I don't mind rugby to be honest but I admit to having no idea what 90% of the penalties are for or why they don't allow the defending team to try to get the ball?

Maybe non-NFL fans are similarly put off by its complexity?

I watch near enough every Scotland game, not sure why like but I do, in regards to the rules I think there's a bit of controversy about them, especially the scrums? Boy in my work always used to be raging about them, even writing an email to the association or something. :lol:

I admire rugby just for how tough the people that play it must be, f**k going into they tackles the way they do with no protection. Although snoots seem to like doing silly things like that, get a posh boy rugby fan pished with a couple of belhaven bests and they always seem to take things that wee bit too far. :ph34r:

Fucking penalties left right and centre too. I wonder what's more popular in Scotland, Ruggers or American football....?

Rugby Union is clearly more popular, you just need to look outside your demographic.

I don't doubt that the NFL is growing in popularity though.

Rugby Union is clearly more popular, you just need to look outside your demographic.

Yeah would agree, even though I don't personally know many fans there is quite a few teams around this area still.

NFL is definitely growing in popularity though. So much coverage now plus with more and more games coming over to the UK. Which is great, although I really hope we don't end up having a London based team...!!!

The stop start nature is a strange one to use when comparing rugby and American football.

Rugby is a game of grinding down teams. I don't enjoy the slow pace and defensive nature of it.

American football has its faults, but i've enjoyed it much more than watching St. Mirren the last few years, not only because St. Mirren have been awful. Give me Rawls running thirty yards forward through tackles or Russel Wilson, dropping back, getting out the pocket to extend the play before throwing 40 yards. Than a team waiting for a man to run forward 3 yards after passing the ball backwards for a couple of minutes.

I don't mind rugby to be honest but I admit to having no idea what 90% of the penalties are for or why they don't allow the defending team to try to get the ball?

Maybe non-NFL fans are similarly put off by its complexity?

Possibly. As long as you know the basics, though, its possible to watch it without understand the complexities.

Probably way more, both in participation and spectators. Scotland has had a, relatively high profile American Football team in the past, the crowds were in the low hundreds. While it was a long time ago Im not sure there would be a huge increase if it were to have one now. It does have teams but playing at lower level than in the past.

Rugby is hugely popular, particularly in the Borders

Possibly. As long as you know the basics, though, its possible to watch it without understand the complexities.

Probably way more, both in participation and spectators. Scotland has had a, relatively high profile American Football team in the past, the crowds were in the low hundreds. While it was a long time ago Im not sure there would be a huge increase if it were to have one now. It does have teams but playing at lower level than in the past.

Rugby is hugely popular, particularly in the Borders

The people in the Borders are no righters!! ;)

Agree with all of your post though. It's a funny one, see if Scotland had a team... I wouldn't support them. It's Americas game, leave them to it IMO.

Archived