Rugby or American Football!?

Loon From Outta Toon

He said if you used the stop start argument then you've never watched a game. I disagree - I have watched a game and it was so stop start it lasted 4 and a half hours

What game was that?

The average time for a Regular Season game is about 3 hours and 15 minutes. That's why the games are staggered to 6pm, 9.35pm and 1.05am (UK times).

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What game was that?

The average time for a Regular Season game is about 3 hours and 15 minutes. That's why the games are staggered to 6pm, 9.35pm and 1.05am (UK times).

3 hours and fifteen minutes for one hours playing time means already less than a third of the viewing time actually has any action. Added to that the clock often continues to play down when the players aren't playing, but are standing in a line waiting for the snap. The ratio of action to waiting around is very poor.

3 hours and fifteen minutes for one hours playing time means already less than a third of the viewing time actually has any action. Added to that the clock often continues to play down when the players aren't playing, but are standing in a line waiting for the snap. The ratio of action to waiting around is very poor.

You apply the same logic to cricket I take it?

Jmo on here defending his Ruggers to the very end. Admirable.

But aye, what about cricket?!?!?!?

He said if you used the stop start argument then you've never watched a game. I disagree - I have watched a game and it was so stop start it lasted 4 and a half hours

4 and a half hours now... Average game is just over 3, like I've mentioned.

Eta: 3 is hardly long at all by the way. That's 3 programmes, an hour and 15 minutes longer than a football game start to finish.

When the play stops it also stops. It's bursts of action. It suits me perfectly to be honest, spend that much time watching a UK football game and browsing this/social media/whatsapp etc etc that I miss loads. I simply just do all this stuff in between plays. It doesn't make it any harder to watch.

4 and a half hours now... Average game is just over 3, like I've mentioned.

Eta: 3 is hardly long at all by the way. That's 3 programmes, an hour and 15 minutes longer than a football game start to finish.

When the play stops it also stops. It's bursts of action. It suits me perfectly to be honest, spend that much time watching a UK football game and browsing this/social media/whatsapp etc etc that I miss loads. I simply just do all this stuff in between plays. It doesn't make it any harder to watch.

That could be one of the reasons for the rise in popularity, it is a sport which suits social media and online gaming .

Or maybe, just maybe, because people have started to realise that it's easily the second best sport on the planet.

It's all down to opinion really. If the game really explodes in other countries, and not just with bandwagon fans for the Super Bowl, then I'll believe it.

It's all down to opinion really. If the game really explodes in other countries, and not just with bandwagon fans for the Super Bowl, then I'll believe it.

The game has exploded in other countries. There's huge interest in it around the globe.

Talking about Bandwagon fans the only time any c**t in this country cares about the rugby is when the 6 nations/WC is on!! :lol:

The game has exploded in other countries. There's huge interest in it around the globe.

Talking about Bandwagon fans the only time any c**t in this country cares about the rugby is when the 6 nations/WC is on!! :lol:

It depends how you'd define 'exploded'. Whenever it's become a second sport in several countries whereby there's regularly thousands of spectators attending national leagues, then I'll agree with you.

I do agree that rugby tends to bring out soulless day trippers to Murrayfield, but there is a strong following who regularly attend games at a regional level week in week out.

Jmo on here defending his Ruggers to the very end. Admirable.

But aye, what about cricket?!?!?!?

The comparison doesn't really work as bat and ball sports by their very nature don't have any flow. Football sports do, or at least should. Cricket, baseball, rounders etc necessarily stop for bowling/pitching. Football sports don't.

Arguably Football, American Football and Rugby League have developed from Rugby Union.

Personally I like NFL. Watch the odd Scotland and RWC Cup game but these events tend to ram my local pubs full of insufferable arseholes.

Never got into RL, but it seems to have a similar thing to the downs rule in NFL with the seven tackle rule?

Archived