Rugby or American Football!?

Loon From Outta Toon

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that keen on either, I probably understand the rules of American Football better from playing the Madden games as a kid, it's boring to watch though and far too long. American commentary is a hard slog as well. Would rather watch rugby.

Rugby. More flow to it, more enjoyable to watch, doesn't pause every thirty seconds for three minutes of standing about and chatting. American football takes way too long for too little actual action. They don't need to change their entire team because their players are only capable of doing one thing.

The problem with American football is it is a terribly boring sport, which requires hype, halftime shows and sanitisation to make people buy into it.

Rugby. More flow to it, more enjoyable to watch, doesn't pause every thirty seconds for three minutes of standing about and chatting. American football takes way too long for too little actual action. They don't need to change their entire team because their players are only capable of doing one thing.

The problem with American football is it is a terribly boring sport, which requires hype, halftime shows and sanitisation to make people buy into it.

This

There's no contest. Rugby is stupid as f**k, American Football is clever as f**k.

Only posh No voting torys will say otherwise, see Jmo.

Please explain why it's so "clever"

Not a fan of either sport but seeing as the majority of gun toting, sister shagging rednecks are American football fans, I doubt it's a real brain teaser to play.

Not a fan of either sport but seeing as the majority of gun toting, sister shagging rednecks are American football fans, I doubt it's a real brain teaser to play.

Because you have to make clever plays to beat your opponent, offensively and defensively.

I used to think exactly the same as you, but the detail that goes into American Football at times is very impressive.

Because you have to make clever plays to beat your opponent, offensively and defensively.

I used to think exactly the same as you, but the detail that goes into American Football at times is very impressive.

It's the same with every team sport. Strategy and tactics, nothing new or adventurous.

I could understand how a play could be clever in the same way a set piece at football could be.

But a "clever" sport? Not having it.

Much like the average football fan has no idea of the tactics involved at a professional level, most American Football fans wont have much clue about the detail involved in that either.

Much like the average football fan has no idea of the tactics involved at a professional level, most American Football fans wont have much clue about the detail involved in that either.

They also play the sport as well as watching it. He said it was a clever sport, not just at professional level.

It's the same with every team sport. Strategy and tactics, nothing new or adventurous.

I could understand how a play could be clever in the same way a set piece at football could be.

But a "clever" sport? Not having it.

A set piece in football involved one, maybe two or three, players kicking a ball and happens a dozen or so times a game. A play in American football involves every player, on both sides, and happens every time the ball is in play. The amount of information the players have to learn is absolutely immense.

Exactly, difference being these are pointed out at the end of every play seeing as the game stops. The intricate detail that goes into it is what got me hooked in the 1st place. So many variations and variables combined with using your players strengths used by coaches, it's fascinating. As BOV said, very sophisticated, but brutal at the same time. Great sport.

Definitely a clever sport too, that's the coaches and players by the way, making up 100s of different plays and deciding when to use them.

They also play the sport as well as watching it. He said it was a clever sport, not just at professional level.

Like all sports, its possible to play it badly.

I suppose it depends on your definition of clever. Theres no doubt theres more information the players have to learn and no doubt that the play calls have far more impact on the game than any other sport

Archived