General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Labour leader of Edinburgh Council (or just "Edinburgh Council Leadsr" as the BBC denotes him) doesn't believe that an Inquiry into the school closures should be a priority. Anyone ever known Labour to *not* be absolutely gung-ho about inquiries?

Incidentally, we have reached breakthrough, lads. We now finally know what it takes for the Scottish media not to label something a "CRISIS". It simply has to be a problem which is demonstrably not down to the SNP. If it ain't the SNP behind it, it can't be a crisis.

Interesting - I stand corrected - it's only the BBC that can apparently rein itself in from using the word "crisis" when it's not the SNP at fault.

I've looked at your links, though, and can only see the words "Labour" or "Scottish Labour" (who, as you know, were behind these deals at council and national level) mentioned by STV, who say that the PFI deals were used "primarily by the Labour/Lib Dem coalition" and Holyrood. Do you think it's simply a coincidence that a minority of articles you've listed mention the party responsible; or is it an oversight? Yes or no? Perhaps you have some other explanation?

One of the articles actually mentions the SNP, the Greens and the Liberal Democrats (but not Labour), so we can't even pretend it's ignoring party politics. It's simply any explicit mention of the party in charge of the council and Holyrood at the time these schools were signed off that is left out of most of your chosen articles. No one's suggesting "conspiracy", but rather obviously bias.

Edited by Antlion

Interesting - I stand corrected - it's only the BBC that can apparently rein itself in from using the word "crisis" when it's not the SNP at fault.

I've looked at your links, though, and can only see the words "Labour" or "Scottish Labour" (who, as you know, were behind these deals at council and national level) mentioned by STV, who say that the PFI deals were used "primarily by the Labour/Lib Dem coalition" and Holyrood. Do you think it's simply a coincidence that a minority of articles you've listed mention the party responsible; or is it an oversight? Yes or no? Perhaps you have some other explanation?

One of the articles actually mentions the SNP, the Greens and the Liberal Democrats (but not Labour), so we can't even pretend it's ignoring party politics. It's simply any explicit mention of the party in charge of the council and Holyrood at the time these schools were signed off that is left out of most of your chosen articles. No one's suggesting "conspiracy", but rather obviously bias.

Well done you managed one full post without going on about scotland being a minor region of the uk,good job.

Well done you managed one full post without going on about scotland being a minor region of the uk,good job.

Well done.  You managed one full post without going on about the SNP.  Good job.

Sadly you didn't manage one full post that didn't illustrate a poorer grasp grammar than that of most six-year-olds.

Not to worry, the BBC has since used the word "crisis": http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-36031828.

Some of the articles specifically refer to Labour (and the Liberal Democrats), and some mention the year 2001. Most informed readers will know who was in office in 2001; but, if they don't, it is very easy to check elsewhere. Some newspapers will obviously be biased in favour of one Party. If people choose to read articles from these outlets without applying any doubt, criticism or scepticism whatsoever, that's their choice; most sensible readers don't merely automatically accept everything they read as indisputable truth. To be honest, I suspect you're looking too hard for something to be aggrieved about. 

Edited by DrewDon

Thanks for that.

Have to say I'm disappointed. A bit bland, seem to be going for the LibDem "fuzzy sense of niceness" vibe with a Felicity Kendall in "The Good Life" tinge. The housing part was especially disappointing - "we will free up more land for housing", um, how about recycling all the urban wastelands first?

Back in the 80s, the Greens were all for reintroducing the old prefab houses (you know, those "temporary" ones from WW2 that managed to outlast virtually every Labour urban regeneration project of the 1960s...), which was an excellent practical solution (albeit without addressing the problem of no home insurer will touch them). Now it seems they're happy to suck up to the same private building companies they (rightly) slammed as part of the problem rather than the solution.

At least it seems this time they've got their priorities right - practical items at the front of the manifesto & the colon cleansers at the back. Will it translate into seats? If so, will that Ross Greer have time to do Holyrood work as well as his school homework?

Labours Manifesto not out until 8 days before polling. So I am sat here with my pen hovering above my postal ballot. Oh dear Kez what will I do?

Is a manifesto a legal requirement to stand for election?

In the case of Labour branch office it must be a real bummer to actual commit to at least writing something down.

The way they've thrown shit at the wall in a forlorn hope of making something stick has been tremendous entertainment.

I was speaking to a die hard labour guy tonight and he was telling me about the time George Galloway handed "that nationalist bitch nicola" her arse in a televised debate before the referendum. Does anybody remember this actually happening and does anybody have a link?

Interesting company you keep.

Well unless it was a random nut job you were speaking to. I would have just reminded him that 'the bitch' was going to PASOK his party....

The thing about PASOKing another party is that SYRIZING your base makes you just as unappealing in the long run... Edited by Ad Lib

Interesting company you keep.

Well unless it was a random nut job you were speaking to. I would have just reminded him that 'the bitch' was going to PASOK his party....

He's a decent guy usually but his wife is a very active member of the labour party and he has an absolute hatred (I use that word deliberately) of the snp. It's bizzare how vehement some of them become whenever the snp is brought up.