General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

7 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:
2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:
Those of in the public sector at a middle management level, 35-45k, will also have tax increase offset by removal of 1% pay cap.
We are all rich.
Thanks Nicola.

My council already needs to save £73 million which will mean hundreds of jobs going. Having to fund a 3% pay rise will mean another 300 or so jobs. Already been told my job will disappear in April and there will be many more to follow.

Has your council or the Government said they will be paying an extra 3%?

Seems a lot of fuss about tax changes that will raise less than £200m and thus not even cover the drop in block grant from Westminster.

Think it's a good direction of travel to be heading in, and of course they snp were never going to be overly radical, but would be nice to have eased the tax burden a bit more at the bottom end and raised a bit more at the top end. As it is both winners and losers are not seeing much of a significant change to the cash in their pocket.

1 hour ago, FuzzyBear said:
3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:
Those of in the public sector at a middle management level, 35-45k, will also have tax increase offset by removal of 1% pay cap.
We are all rich.
Thanks Nicola.

My council already needs to save £73 million which will mean hundreds of jobs going. Having to fund a 3% pay rise will mean another 300 or so jobs. Already been told my job will disappear in April and there will be many more to follow.

The 3% pay rise will be met by an additional ring fenced sum of money as part of your authority's settlement.

LAs also have the choice to raise their council tax now.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Seems a lot of fuss about tax changes that will raise less than £200m and thus not even cover the drop in block grant from Westminster.

Think it's a good direction of travel to be heading in, and of course they snp were never going to be overly radical, but would be nice to have eased the tax burden a bit more at the bottom end and raised a bit more at the top end. As it is both winners and losers are not seeing much of a significant change to the cash in their pocket.

Is it not the case that a more radical policy would have risked losing more money (as it's pretty straightforward to move south of the border, or register income there, or whatever the f**k you would have you do).

Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

In addition, the promised public sector pay rises will use up pretty much all of the rest of any tax raised by this.
It seems obvious that this announcement is simply about playing politics and appeasing public sector workers rather than any genuine attempt at changing anything.

It's tweaking.

It's what steady governments do.

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Some movement on addressing the real terms cuts to local government and this will probably get passed with support from Labour and the Greens. It's a decent budget all things considered.

As usual, I suspect that Labour will make up some excuse not to support it.

I’m sure I’ll cope.

How anyone couldn’t cope with any of these changes is a mystery. If you are earning £100,000 and having that reduced by £415 causes you financial stress then you need to have a look at yourself. Too many people live far too close to their limits.

That’s not to say the tax changes are right or wrong though.

20 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

How anyone couldn’t cope with any of these changes is a mystery. If you are earning £100,000 and having that reduced by £415 causes you financial stress then you need to have a look at yourself. Too many people live far too close to their limits.

That’s not to say the tax changes are right or wrong though.

Too many people just love a good fucking moan because they're uber selfish b*****ds or snp haters who would have moaned like f**k if tax had just been abolished. Arseholes. 

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Coverage of the budget on Radio Scotland this morning is shocking.  Totally incapable of hiding the bias.

I heard a bit on it last night. They'd dispatched a reporter to Cumbernauld to ask factory workers and the boss about it. Despite her best efforts, including many leading questions, to a man every single person interviewed said that the new taxes were fair and wouldn't be an issue, even the owner and the manager. She sounded defeated when she handed back to the studio.

Aye, the press reporting of the budget has been quite the sight to behold.  Not even a pretence at neutrality anymore.

Now I'm no fan of the SNP etc etc but on this occasion if it works I've no real objection to the tax plans and have to agree the "apocalyptical" reporting of it is a bit OTT.If it does produce revenue to be spent on good social stuff I'm all for it.

28 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:

Now I'm no fan of the SNP etc etc but on this occasion if it works I've no real objection to the tax plans and have to agree the "apocalyptical" reporting of it is a bit OTT.If it does produce revenue to be spent on good social stuff I'm all for it.

It's not a radical budget in terms of the additional funding it will raise - welcome though that is. This is as much a statement that Scotland can do things differently. We've had years and years of people - particularly the tories and their pals in the present - telling us that the parliament had powers to vary tax. Now we're doing it and the media are trying to make a story of the financial impact. The bigger story is in the range of adjustments made even though the numbers are tweaking in the grand scheme.