General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Or maybe they want to "hang onto" us for the same reason they want to hang-on to the sinkholes of society Northern Ireland and Wales: because they're British and they believe in solidarity between our nations and are happy to share the risk for bigger ends?

Our exports are not classified as English on the basis that they transit through English ports. Don't be silly. That's not how exports are measured.

Keep thinking that you are always correct Libby because that statement is a load of bollocks. And a stunningly short reply too.

Oh dear, we're going to have to deal with this really slowly, aren't we?

I am not saying that you don't speak or write in Scots. You did. And since almost everyone in real life in Scotland speaks English, or a Scottish dialect variant of it, your deliberate tarting up of your online communications into Scots is cringey and peasant-like.

Being a member of the professional class of Scotland, my father's family having been recognisably middle class for the whole of the 20th century and at least half of my mother's side having been so, it shouldn't surprise you that what I speak and write is a Scottish dialect of English. It certainly isn't Scots.

I was born into a household with roots and origins from Aberdeen to Glasgow to Dundee to Edinburgh to Fife and more distantly to London and Leicestershire. The language I speak is just as fundamentally the one that Brummies, New Yorkers, Ontarians and Canberrans speak. It is English. Not Scots.

My entire life I have spoken English. It's what I was brought up to speak and it's what I learned. When I climbed up the rotten tree on Raith Drive I would natter away in English to my next door neighbour. When I moved to Aberdeen I was barely able to comprehend those speaking in Doric or with a strong localised accent. My parents have now lived there 18 years and honest to God I still can't make out what half the people over 50 are saying most of the time. I understand French better than I understand some Scottish people, and I only have a Higher from 2008 to my name.

I find even historic work written in Scottish variants of English, like most of Burns' work, difficult to follow because the vocabulary and expressions are so alien to what I know and grew-up with.

I am not disgusted with Scotland and the Scots. It think this is a great country. I live here because it's where most of my family are. I don't plan to live here forever. Once I've finished my PhD I might go and live and work in London for a bit. With any luck I'll work for the British Government.

I am not saying that you don't speak or write in Scots. You did. And since almost everyone in real life in Scotland speaks English, or a Scottish dialect variant of it, your deliberate tarting up of your online communications into Scots is cringey and peasant-like.

Being a member of the professional class of Scotland, my father's family having been recognisably middle class for the whole of the 20th century and at least half of my mother's side having been so, it shouldn't surprise you that what I speak and write is a Scottish dialect of English. It certainly isn't Scots.

I was born into a household with roots and origins from Aberdeen to Glasgow to Dundee to Edinburgh to Fife and more distantly to London and Leicestershire. The language I speak is just as fundamentally the one that Brummies, New Yorkers, Ontarians and Canberrans speak. It is English. Not Scots.

My entire life I have spoken English. It's what I was brought up to speak and it's what I learned. When I climbed up the rotten tree on Raith Drive I would natter away in English to my next door neighbour. When I moved to Aberdeen I was barely able to comprehend those speaking in Doric or with a strong localised accent. My parents have now lived there 18 years and honest to God I still can't make out what half the people over 50 are saying most of the time. I understand French better than I understand some Scottish people, and I only have a Higher from 2008 to my name.

I find even historic work written in Scottish variants of English, like most of Burns' work, difficult to follow because the vocabulary and expressions are so alien to what I know and grew-up with.

I am not disgusted with Scotland and the Scots. It think this is a great country. I live here because it's where most of my family are. I don't plan to live here forever. Once I've finished my PhD I might go and live and work in London for a bit. With any luck I'll work for the British Government.

Very enlightening you see Scots as 'peasant like', in terms of your attitude towards Scots and also towards poor people.  You are a very nasty piece of work.

And you clearly are disgusted by Scotland and Scots, you make that very clear and even referred to Edinburgh as 'shite', Edinburgh is one of the greatest cities in the world and tourists absolutely love it.  You are betraying your true feelings by your words, despite your claims to the contrary.  A typical self-loathing Britnat.

Edited by Peppino Impastato

Very enlightening you see Scots as 'peasant like', in terms of your attitude towards Scots and also towards poor people. You are a very nasty piece of work.

And you clearly are disgusted by Scotland and Scots, you make that very clear and even referred to Edinburgh as 'shite', Edinburgh is one of the greatest cities in the world and tourists absolutely love it. You are betraying your true feelings by your words, despite your claims to the contrary. A typical self-loathing Britnat.

He's a Lib Dem. It's a requirement.

Scotland would need to grow its economy at about 6% per year and see similar levels of growth in its tax base. To close the fiscal gap within a decade without any relative spending cuts or overt tax rises. The UK growing at about 2%.

Scotland would need to grow its economy at about 6% per year and see similar levels of growth in its tax base. To close the fiscal gap within a decade without any relative spending cuts or overt tax rises. The UK growing at about 2%.

In terms of GDP per head?  Really?

In terms of GDP per head?  Really?

No, I didn't say per head either in my first statement or in my follow-up. The comparison ignores population change. What England's population is is irrelevant to Scotland's fiscal balance or the extent to which we are subsidised per head.

If anything, what you're doing is pointing out just how great Barnett is for Scotland given current demographic trends. If the English population goes up, and their economy grows as a result, but the government spends more money on services in England to cope with more people, Scotland's block grant goes up regardless of whether or not Scotland's population grows.

No, I didn't say per head either in my first statement or in my follow-up. The comparison ignores population change. What England's population is is irrelevant to Scotland's fiscal balance or the extent to which we are subsidised per head.

If anything, what you're doing is pointing out just how great Barnett is for Scotland given current demographic trends. If the English population goes up, and their economy grows as a result, but the government spends more money on services in England to cope with more people, Scotland's block grant goes up regardless of whether or not Scotland's population grows.

There is no point in stating what Scotland has to do in fiscal terms when the comparator is affected by population growth.  An factor that Scotland has no control over.

There is no point in stating what Scotland has to do in fiscal terms when the comparator is affected by population growth.  An factor that Scotland has no control over.

There are plenty ways the Scottish Government could influence population growth here, especially if aiming to attract EEA migrants.

Maybe Ad Lib should dae a Broonie and say he was born in N.B.

It might get him a political gig down south.

Once I've finished my PhD I might go and live and work in London for a bit.

With any luck I'll work for the British Government.

Taking my advice I see.

I am not saying that you don't speak or write in Scots. You did.

And since almost everyone in real life in Scotland speaks English, or a Scottish dialect variant of it, your deliberate tarting up of your online communications into Scots is cringey and peasant-like.

Gie me an example of  'Scottish dialect variant of English' cos I've nae idea whit that means.

The Red Indians used tae say (according tae the movies) White man speak with forked tongue

In Scotland we used tae say He's speaking wi' a bool in his mooth

That was for folk like you trying tae speak posh.

If you & I were in a pub or cafe or even talking in the street I wid be talkin' in broad Scots.

Would ye grimace and cover your ears?

...it shouldn't surprise you that what I speak and write is a Scottish dialect of English. It certainly isn't Scots.

Perhaps so but the vast majority of Scots spoke in Lowland Scots or Lallans or Doric.

It was only when ye went tae school that they tried tae hammer it oot o' ye.

I am not disgusted with Scotland and the Scots. I think this is a great country.

You have a funny way of showing your love of Scotland.

You said:

I speak drivel.

I also speak in a language that you find abhorrent and distasteful.

You called me a peasant.

Presumably that covers everyone who speaks Scots.

You hate your capitol city.

You don't give a shit how Scots MP's vote.

and you are more than happy for Scotland tae be a pimple oan Englands arse.

There are three political figures (I ken there's mair) who I consider proper c**ts.

Gordon Brown, Peter Hain & Alistair Carmichael.

You will be pleased tae ken that there is now a fourth.

There is one guid Scots word which encompasses the four o' ye.

Sleekit.

Get fuckin' in about him, Willie!!

:thumsup2

Thanks.

It really gets me when smarmy c**ts like him try tae take doon Scotland and it's people.

I'm a Scot living for over three score & ten years in my ain country.

I write and speak in Scots.

And he tells me that we are a' speaking a Scottish dialect variant of English

He writes something detrimental aboot Scotland then denies it.

He is the Chemical Ali of the BritNats.

Thanks.

It really gets me when smarmy c**ts like him try tae take doon Scotland and it's people.

I'm a Scot living for over three score & ten years in my ain country.

I write and speak in Scots.

And he tells me that we are a' speaking a Scottish dialect variant of English

He writes something detrimental aboot Scotland then denies it.

He is the Chemical Ali of the BritNats.

It's the Scottish cringe.

Celebrating bad news in Scotland and doffing your cap to your Westminster overlords is so entrenched in your average Britnat that enjoying or promoting anything Scottish simply cannot be allowed and is seen as blood and soil.

Scottish cringe at it's very worst.

It's the Scottish cringe.

Celebrating bad news in Scotland and doffing your cap to your Westminster overlords is so entrenched in your average Britnat that enjoying or promoting anything Scottish simply cannot be allowed and is seen as blood and soil.

Scottish cringe at it's very worst.

Then he should dae quite well if he gets a job wi' the English British government.

Then he should dae quite well if he gets a job wi' the English British government.

I don't think we'll see the words "Liberal Democract" and "Government" together again in our lifetimes.

Unless he fancies popping the kettle on for the Eton old boys brigade that is. 

I am not saying that you don't speak or write in Scots. You did.

You said Scots was my "native tongue". It isn't. English is.

Gie me an example of 'Scottish dialect variant of English' cos I've nae idea whit that means.

Okay, there's plenty. In spoken Scottish dialects of English, the rhotic r is more prevalent. Vowels are often pronounced differently, meaning that certain words that sound the same in Standard English don't and vice versa.

Dialects of a language will often have their own words for certain things without being so different as to be outright a different language. For example, someone who speaks a Scottish dialect will refer to a body of inland water as a Loch, not a Lake. Similarly they might colloquially refer to Kirkcaldy by its old nickname, "the Lang Toun".

These occasional discrepancies do not mean that the person in question is speaking Scots. They do not wholesale replace words with Scots variants.

In exactly the same way as someone in English that refers to the move in chess where you take a pawn that has just moved two spaces by cutting in behind it with another pawn as "en passant" is not speaking French just because those two words come from French.

The Red Indians used tae say (according tae the movies) White man speak with forked tongue

In Scotland we used tae say He's speaking wi' a bool in his mooth

Nice to see casual racism towards the Native Americans. Keep it up.

That was for folk like you trying tae speak posh.

If you & I were in a pub or cafe or even talking in the street I wid be talkin' in broad Scots.

Would ye grimace and cover your ears?

Yes. It's quite one thing to speak with a dialect and occasionally to say things like "naw" or "aye", but if you were saying things like "thocht" instead of "thought" I would look for the first opportunity to get away from you.

Perhaps so but the vast majority of Scots spoke in Lowland Scots or Lallans or Doric.

It was only when ye went tae school that they tried tae hammer it oot o' ye.

Like, maybe thirty to fifty years ago that was true. Almost everyone I know under 40 does not speak broad Scots and deviates from Standard English no more than anyone living in Bradford, Gateshead, Cornwall, Liverpool or Birmingham.

You have a funny way of showing your love of Scotland.

You said:

I speak drivel.

I also speak in a language that you find abhorrent and distasteful.

You called me a peasant.

Presumably that covers everyone who speaks Scots.

You hate your capitol city.

You don't give a shit how Scots MP's vote.

and you are more than happy for Scotland tae be a pimple oan Englands arse.

There are three political figures (I ken there's mair) who I consider proper c**ts.

Gordon Brown, Peter Hain & Alistair Carmichael.

You will be pleased tae ken that there is now a fourth.

There is one guid Scots word which encompasses the four o' ye.

Sleekit.

I distinguish Scots, people from Scotland, from Scots, the language.

People from Scotland, who speak Scots, I genuinely find irritating, but for the older generation out of politeness I adopt a live and let live approach.

People who deliberately contort their vocabulary to emphasise how authentically Scottish they are on a football forum are sad fucks with a chip on their shoulder.