General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

6 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Nah if you're reducing a prominent black female politician to somedy who Corbyn fucked 40 years ago then I have to question why that is. Especially when it was used during the election campaign as quite a vicious recurrent tactic of the Tory election strategy. Just don't do it.

Why is her skin colour so important?

Diane Abbott does receive some reprehensible abuse, both sexist and racist in nature; I think it would be extremely naive and/or ignorant to suggest that she would be targeted as vociferously and downright nastily from certain quarters if she were, for example, a white man in politics rather than a prominent black woman. Having said that, I didn't sense that HTD's post was intended along those lines. It is always important that we are vigilant about these things, though - and, most importantly, that we listen to the experiences of those who have received such abuse and don't just dismiss their concerns out of hand. 

It is obviously wrong to use a female politician's relationship history to suggest that they are incapable of performing an entirely unrelated role, or to cast doubt over their political judgment. Some of the bile that Abbott and Sturgeon, amongst other female politicians in the UK, face is really beyond the pale. I have also lost count of the amount of self-identifying Corbyn supporters on Twitter who wilfully engage in similarly indefensible conduct towards some of their internal and external female opponents, despite - correctly - being outraged at some of the vitriol launched at Abbott. They should be called out on that.

Cause you've made two sexually explicit posts concerning and ridiculing Abbott. You can try and argue what your point was but it looks like misogyny and some would term it misogynoir as well since you're reducing a black woman to who she's had a relationship with. If that wasn't your intention then fair enough but it can and will be interpreted that way. Just something to bear in mind when that's what you choose to focus on. I'm engaging in good faith here.

The reality is that Abbott (ab)uses racism and sexism to cover up for the shit awful politician she is.

27 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Diane Abbott does receive some reprehensible abuse, both sexist and racist in nature; I think it would be extremely naive and/or ignorant to suggest that she would be targeted as vociferously and downright nastily from certain quarters if she were, for example, a white man in politics rather than a prominent black woman. Having said that, I didn't sense that HTD's post was intended along those lines. It is always important that we are vigilant about these things, though - and, most importantly, that we listen to the experiences of those who have received such abuse and don't just dismiss their concerns out of hand. 

It is obviously wrong to use a female politician's relationship history to suggest that they are incapable of performing an entirely unrelated role, or to cast doubt over their political judgment. Some of the bile that Abbott and Sturgeon, amongst other female politicians in the UK, face is really beyond the pale. I have also lost count of the amount of self-identifying Corbyn supporters on Twitter who wilfully engage in similarly indefensible conduct towards some of their internal and external female opponents, despite - correctly - being outraged at some of the vitriol launched at Abbott. They should be called out on that.

I don't see the colour of her skin when I slag her, she is a terrible politician and her use of her skin colour and sex is reprehensible IMHO.

I honestly ask anyone who thinks that Diane Abbott "abuses racism and sexism" to hide behind her apparent ability as a politician to watch her speaking about the abuse she receives on a daily basis today. 

6 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I don't see the colour of her skin when I slag her, she is a terrible politician and her use of her skin colour and sex is reprehensible IMHO.

Abbott has to "use" her skin colour and sex because - regrettably - it is all too often relevant to some of the most vitriolic abuse she receives. I wouldn't have her anywhere near Shadow Home Secretary, but she isn't the problem here - the people sending the abuse are the problem. 

Just now, DrewDon said:

Abbott has to "use" her skin colour and sex because - regrettably - it is all too often relevant to some of the most vitriolic abuse she receives. I wouldn't have her anywhere near Shadow Home Secretary, but she isn't the problem here - the people sending the abuse are the problem. 

You'll find that most politicians could produce proof of abuse, like lots of them, she'll only mention the abuse that comes towards her while totally ignoring the shite that's flung in the opposite direction, we see it in miniature up here where minor abuse towards the unionists is magnified by them into something akin to the holocaust, conveniently they don't call out the vitriol from their own side very often.

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I honestly ask anyone who thinks that Diane Abbott "abuses racism and sexism" to hide behind her apparent ability as a politician to watch her speaking about the abuse she receives on a daily basis today. 

She's used it plenty of times, no amount of abuse detracts from the fact that she's a c**t.

Good to see yer da isn't going to be deterred from calling a woman a c**t that hides behind her race and gender even after he's just watched a video of her talking about all the horrendous racial slurs and death threats she receives for being a prominent black woman.

Edited by NotThePars

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Good to see yer da isn't going to be deterred from calling a woman a c**t that hides behind her race and gender even after he's just watched a video of her talking about all the horrendous racial slurs and death threats she receives for being a prominent black woman.

What the hell does my da(72) have to do with this?

33 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

This is a tricky yin.  I lived in Hoxton/Shoreditch/Clapton in the early-mid 80s and Abbott was, rightly, an admirable politician and one whom I admired.

She has turned in to a shocking mess and should be put out to grass.

7 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

This is a tricky yin.  I lived in Hoxton/Shoreditch/Clapton in the early-mid 80s and Abbott was, rightly, an admirable politician and one whom I admired.

She has turned in to a shocking mess and should be put out to grass.

A mate of mine lives in Shoreditch and says that Abbott personally took charge of his ma's citizenship when she left her abusive husband. I don't think she's cut out for it anymore particularly with the level of vicious vitriol she attracts which is a shame as her politics and constituency work are so commendable. Then again I'm not sure not being competent is enough to preclude you from high office. The Tory party is being run by vicious clowns at the minute.

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

A mate of mine lives in Shoreditch and says that Abbott personally took charge of his ma's citizenship when she left her abusive husband. I don't think she's cut out for it anymore particularly with the level of vicious vitriol she attracts which is a shame as her politics and constituency work are so commendable. Then again I'm not sure not being competent is enough to preclude you from high office. The Tory party is being run by vicious clowns at the minute.

I've no reason to doubt her constituency work in the past.  By all accounts she was exemplary.

I have every reason to doubt the vitriol.  That she was a smart black woman with strong values who was standing for parliament  was winsome and she was strongly supported and rightly so.

People's attitudes haven't changed but she has.  That she plays the race/feminist card now is shameful.

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:34, strichener said:

Whataboutery. 

I don't know why you continue to ask for my point when you are quite clearly incapable of recognising any point that does not adhere to your own views.

The term overspending is entirely correct when your outgoings are £175,000,000,000 more than your income.  If you have alternative figures to show that Labour didn't overspend then how about sharing them rather than pointing at the Tories and trying to use the "not as bad as the Tories" defence.

"Labour not as bad fiscally as the Tories" was the whole thrust of my post and it's obviously correct since you acknowledge it here.

Kincardine: A black woman reading out a sample of the list of vicious racist and sexist abuse and death threats she receives on a daily basis during a discussion on online abuse, playing the feminist/ racist card

Also Kincardine: reports every instance of people using *** in their posts on an online forum

13 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Kincardine: A black woman reading out a sample of the list of vicious racist and sexist abuse and death threats she receives on a daily basis during a discussion on online abuse, playing the feminist/ racist card

Also Kincardine: reports every instance of people using *** in their posts on an online forum

She's played the feminist/racist card plenty of times, more often than not when she's in the mire.