General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

So responsible drinkers now to be penalised for the minority who cannot control thmselves . Lets now have minimum pricing on everything deemed by the nanny state to be bad for us.  Let's start with fast food shops and high sugar drinks.

1 minute ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I rarely spend that little on whisky but for gin and tonic I tend to just get Tesco's own gin as I'm diluting it anyway. It will only add a couple of quid so isn't a huge issue, minor gripe really.

Yeah the only things that'll be badly affected will be cheap 2 ltr bottles of cider and the like.

3 minutes ago, Whatif said:

So responsible drinkers now to be penalised for the minority who cannot control thmselves . Lets now have minimum pricing on everything deemed by the nanny state to be bad for us.  Let's start with fast food shops and high sugar drinks.

tenor.gif?itemid=5902151

Isn’t it going to effect the cheap ciders, super strength lagers and the like actually?

Or have I misread it?

I think that's exactly what they're targeting. It's your cheap, high strength shite. Your premium brands won't be affected as it's already above the minimum priceing

First they came for the smokers, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a smoker.

Then they came for the cheap alcohol drinkers, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a cheap alcohol drinker.

Then they came for the irn bru drinkers, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not an irn bru drinker.

Then they came for pie eaters—and there was no one left to speak for me. 

Edit. FWIW I disagree yet again with the SNP government policy of "punishing" everyone because of a problem with a section of society. I don't want to be controlled by a government. If I want to smoke, drug, drink and eat myself to death I should be free to do it. My only stipulation would be that they tax the 'sin' products enough to cover the NHS bill which will inevitably grow. 

Edited by Suspect Device

Having a quick glance at the spirits in my local shop it will impact all of the own brand spirits, and most of the 'cheapish' spirit options (Smirnoff, Famous Grouse etc) and things like Vermouth (which across the board seems to actually be one of the best unit to expenditure deals available). Might have more of an impact than I first realised.

Beer wise most of the on offer mass produced beer will be impacted but most nice beer and full price beer will be the same. Cheap wine will go up a bit but not significantly. It's cheap cider and things like Perry that look like they will see the biggest rise.

When is this supposed to be effective?

Not sure this will work. Alcoholism is an addiction. Won't said addicts just still buy the same amount of drink but have less money to spend on other stuff such as feeding their kids? And the casual drinkers will just have to spend another couple of quid on their alcohol. 

I mean, heroin and coke addicts don't stop just because it's expensive. People still smoke despite the astronomical cost to their wallet and their health. What's the difference with alcohol? 

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

At the same time can they reduce the prices for sport etc? If this really is about health.

Interesting that Iceland are doing better than Scotland just now. I wonder why? Here's a wee feature on the Beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-41973296/how-one-country-persuaded-teens-to-give-up-drink-and-drugs

As much as I will slag it off I think its meant to help deter binge drinking.
I know a lot of folk drink a lot at home before going out as its cheaper, but this may actually help some pubs which may be close to closing.

Nothing will deter binge drinking. Putting the costs up ever so slightly will still make drinking at home much cheaper than drinking in the pub.

I would doubt that his will affect pub prices at all. 50p a unit.

I know. But £3.50 a pint is still going to be dearer than buying a crate and drinking at home.

Eta: not even sure cost is the main reason behind people drinking at home first before going out. Certainly wasn’t/isn’t for me.