General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Telling me to get a grip for you cheeky c**t?

I have no problem with it. Just think it’s a lot of shite and won’t solve anything.

It wasn't directed at you per se, just a generality.

Would it help if all sorts of health professionals believe that it'll make a tremendous difference?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15662707.Minimum_alcohol_pricing__Health_campaigners_hail__massive_victory_for_health_and_democracy_/

Edited by Baxter Parp

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Telling me to get a grip for you cheeky c**t?

I have no problem with it. Just think it’s a lot of shite and won’t solve anything.

He seems desperate to create an argument over absolutely anything. All I said was a litre of whisky would be a minimum of £20 whereas you can often get it now as low as £15. Didn't even say whether I thought it was a good idea or not.

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

It may well not stop an addict but it might make casual drinkers more casual, it's about time, we're a nation where too many people think they need tanked up to enjoy themselves.

It may also cut down on binge drinking and help prevent people becoming alcoholics in the first place. 

Just now, Crossbill said:

It may also cut down on binge drinking and help prevent people becoming alcoholics in the first place. 

I was throwing them in with the casuals, basically anyone that's not an addict, some binge drinkers are actually alkies IMO.

It wasn't directed at you per se, just a generality.

Would it help if all sorts of health professionals believe that it'll make a tremendous difference?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15662707.Minimum_alcohol_pricing__Health_campaigners_hail__massive_victory_for_health_and_democracy_/

No. Professionals are obviously just going to say, less drink = good, however I don’t think that’s a reality at all.

It might not be a lot of money to people like me or you but to addicts who are drinking every single day it’ll all add up. More money will just start getting flung at their addiction instead of other things.

This isn’t the way to solve our so called drinking problem for me. It’s all way too idealistic.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

No. Professionals are obviously just going to say, less drink = good, however I don’t think that’s a reality at all.

It might not be a lot of money to people like me or you but to addicts who are drinking every single day it’ll all add up. More money will just start getting flung at their addition instead of other things.

This isn’t the way to solve our so called drinking problem for me. It’s all way too idealistic.

What do you suggest as a starting point?

What do you suggest as a starting point?

Education or more money put into rehabilitation maybe?

Not simply putting up costs, someone’s mentioned it but it hardly stops drug addicts does it?

Totally off topic but someone’s touched on it, If this is all about health, which is what I’m seeing all over my social media, then will we stop getting charged £5 for an hour of fives?

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Education or more money put into rehabilitation maybe?

Not simply putting up costs, someone’s mentioned it but it hardly stops drug addicts does it?

Totally off topic but someone’s touched on it, If this is all about health, which is what I’m seeing all over my social media, then will we stop getting charged £5 for an hour of fives?

Why rehab, that's not prevention.

You think they're just making this up and not using years of research and study?

I don’t think they’re making it up. I think they’re being very idealistic. I don’t think there’s any reliable realistic way of carrying out research or study into this.

Do you genuinely believe alcoholics will stop buying drink if it costs a few quid extra for a bottle? Do you think it’ll stop young people from drinking?

No chance.

I don’t think they’re making it up. I think they’re being very idealistic. I don’t think there’s any reliable realistic way of carrying out research or study into this.

Do you genuinely believe alcoholics will stop buying drink if it costs a few quid extra for a bottle? Do you think it’ll stop young people from drinking?

No chance.

it's not going to stop them drinking but it will reduce the amount of alcohol they consume, therefore reducing their risk of becoming ill from alcohol-related causes, such as alcohol poisoning, liver failure, or even just breaking their arm because they fell over while drunk

Why rehab, that's not prevention.

Neither is adding an extra few quid on to a bottle. Look at the cost of smoking. How many people try giving that up and fail? People will become addicted regardless of costs.

I have a feeling that a lot of SNP supporters deep down know that this is a nonsense but don’t want to be critical.

Neither is adding an extra few quid on to a bottle. Look at the cost of smoking. How many people try giving that up and fail? People will become addicted regardless of costs.

I have a feeling that a lot of SNP supporters deep down know that this is a nonsense but don’t want to be critical.

I'm a smoker, I disagreed with the smoking ban, the smoking ban has been a success IMO, higher prices have also had a huge impact on smoking, rather than being in the majority smokers like myself now feel like lepers, not great for addicts like myself but great for everyone else and great for those that aren't even here yet.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No chance.

As I posted before it's a measure that won't see many benefits with current alcoholics but will bear fruit in the future.

Frankly, you're giving the impression that you think that this is the only thing the Scottish Government have tried to combat alcohol abuse when this is just part of a strategy that was published back in 2009  - http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2009/03/04144703/0.  As for current alcoholics - according to the last budget they spent nearly £60m in partnership with alcohol and drug addiction charities last year alone. That's outwith NHS spending.

it's not going to stop them drinking but it will reduce the amount of alcohol they consume, therefore reducing their risk of becoming ill from alcohol-related causes, such as alcohol poisoning, liver failure, or even just breaking their arm because they fell over while drunk

Again. This is so idealistic, it won’t, sure I’ve seen you say elsewhere you’re still at school, I’m not long left and know a lot of younger lads that go to our games that are now in the pubs.

They’ll go out and get absolutely blootered regardless of the costs involved, I did, all my mates did, they are now.

Nobody is going to think that they’ll now need to cut back or drink less cause they’ll have to pay an extra tenner.

As I posted before it's a measure that won't see many benefits with current alcoholics but will bear fruit in the future.
Frankly, you're giving the impression that you think that this is the only thing the Scottish Government have tried to combat alcohol abuse when this is just part of a strategy that was published back in 2009  - http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2009/03/04144703/0.  As for current alcoholics - according to the last budget they spent nearly £60m in partnership with alcohol and drug addiction charities last year alone. That's outwith NHS spending.

Fair enough.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Again. This is so idealistic, it won’t, sure I’ve seen you say elsewhere you’re still at school, I’m not long left and know a lot of younger lads that go to our games that are now in the pubs.

They’ll go out and get absolutely blootered regardless of the costs involved, I did, all my mates did, they are now.

Nobody is going to think that they’ll now need to cut back or drink less cause they’ll have to pay an extra tenner.

You're right I'm still at school, I'm in s5 so technically no one in my year can drink but I'm sure you'll know that it doesn't really stop them. However, I was talking to folk in my year about this and a lot of people don't have jobs so get money from their parents, who don't know it's getting spent on drink, so they have to be cautious with how they spend their money. So for this reason, a lot of them will buy like 2 bottles of echo falls, and right now it's £3.50 in morrisons so thats £7. With minimum pricing that cost would rise to £10 and i'm sure at least half of year couldn't afford that extra £3 each week so they would be forced to buy 1 bottle or share a couple of bottles with their pals. Also, if they do have a job they wold have to work longer hours to afoord to keep up the amount of money they spend and say work a saturday and, so either they can work both days and turn up to work hungover each week, or they could just work a sunday and go out on a friday and drink less, I'm pretty sure I know which one they would prefer.

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Also, in pubs the majority of drinks are already above the, what would be, minimum price so it wouldnt really effect people going to the pub for a couple with their mates after a game. It would however effect the 14 year olds who go to a field and drink tesco's own brand vodka each weekend because that would be nearly double the price

You're right I'm still at school, I'm in s5 so technically no one in my year can drink but I'm sure you'll know that it doesn't really stop them. However, I was talking to folk in my year about this and a lot of people don't have jobs so get money from their parents, who don't know it's getting spent on drink, so they have to be cautious with how they spend their money. So for this reason, a lot of them will buy like 2 bottles of echo falls, and right now it's £3.50 in morrisons so thats £7. With minimum pricing that cost would rise to £10 and i'm sure at least half of year couldn't afford that extra £3 each week so they would be forced to buy 1 bottle or share a couple of bottles with their pals. Also, if they do have a job they wold have to work longer hours to afoord to keep up the amount of money they spend and say work a saturday and, so either they can work both days and turn up to work hungover each week, or they could just work a sunday and go out on a friday and drink less, I'm pretty sure I know which one they would prefer.

Half a year of 16/17 year olds couldn’t afford an extra £3 a week? Come on man. f**k, kids swarm the shops every lunchtime spending more than that.

That’s a puppy dog eyes effort to your Granny or a couple of quid nicked off the bunker. What’s minimum wage now? It was £3.53 when I started working at 16. Extra hour in work?

I’m no buying it or believing that this will have any affect, other than addicts putting more money towards their addiction.

Smoking ban was brilliant. More a social change that had the affect though, not a cost one.