General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

If embdy grew up with a working class background they would know that minimum pricing on alcohol will NOT stop or slow down the consumption of alcohol but put people into further poverty. People with problems will get what the need even meaning cutting out necessities to do so.

A see folk nearly everyday in work scraping pennies together for drink, fags n even scratchcards. Price change isn’t going to stop that but make that situation worse

A young lassie tweeted the above. Nearly 4K likes. This is going to back fire on the SNP IMO. It’s pissed off my mum too, not that it’ll affect her at all, just the way they’re selling it, as Rab pointed out.

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

So.... because I don’t agree. I’m a numpty?

Sound logic.

You obviously don’t agree with so called experts on the other side of the fence, does that make you a numpty?

Someone has just pointed out that the World Health Organisation didn’t think Ebola was a big deal ffs.

He was from the drink alliance or some pish like that, he's no more an expert than you  or I.

And sadly they never consult people like yourself who have had that experience.

It doesn’t sit well with their “gimmick” policies.

I freely admit to knowing the square root of f**k all on this apart from my own anecdotal experience and I don't think the government should base policy on it over health professionals and the other people who are paid to consider this.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

A see folk nearly everyday in work scraping pennies together for drink, fags n even scratchcards. Price change isn’t going to stop that but make that situation worse

Cheap drink will still be available, it just won't be as strong.

Funnily enough the only people I’ve noticed get properly seething about this policy are Rangers fans, a Conservative councillor from Angus, and the people who drink until they’re throwing up everywhere.

14 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Because realistically I think it’s an absolute load of shite.

Just heard the report on Radio Scotland there, mental that they think this will make such a massive impact to deaths/people being admitted to hospitals etc. Never heard so much nonsense in my life.

Idealistic, people aren’t robots. A couple of quid isn’t going to stop or deter anyone from getting blootered.

Scientists, eh?  What the f**k do they know?

Scientists, eh?  What the f**k do they know?

Yes I wonder what they know about local alcoholics in the schemes.

You’ve got two posters on here with first hand experience saying that it wouldn’t work or wouldn’t have stopped their parents who had difficulties.

13 hours ago, sparky88 said:

Genuine question, is there objective data to say scotland has more or less of a drink problem than other countries in the UK/ other countries elsewhere? I suspect much of the evidence on this is anecdotal.

No it's statistical.

http://alcoholrehab.com/alcoholism/alcohol-abuse-in-scotland/

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/buckfast-crimewave-revealed-police-figures-1868308

Relevant.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Yes I wonder what they know about local alcoholics in the schemes.

You’ve got two posters on here with first hand experience saying that it wouldn’t work or wouldn’t have stopped their parents who had difficulties.

You've got two anecdotes versus years of study and analysis.

Funnily enough the only people I’ve noticed get properly seething about this policy are Rangers fans, a Conservative councillor from Angus, and the people who drink until they’re throwing up everywhere.

I’m not seething about it but I think it’s a total nonsense.

None of the above, although the last time I had a drink I drunk enough that I could’ve possibly started throwing up everywhere, but that was mainly due to Matt fucking Phillips and Barry Bannan being pish.

You've got two anecdotes versus years of study and analysis.

Have you actually went into real detail of this analysis?

Because I’m struggling to understand what kind of research they’ve actually done to come to this conclusion.

What do they do? Stand on the doorsteps of poor folk with drinking problems and check their shopping lists or cupboards?

55 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Have you actually went into real detail of this analysis?

Because I’m struggling to understand what kind of research they’ve actually done to come to this conclusion.

What do they do? Stand on the doorsteps of poor folk with drinking problems and check their shopping lists or cupboards?

Why poor folk? 

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/scharr/sections/ph/research/alpol/research/completed/scotland

Enjoy.

Edited by Baxter Parp

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesball/11-million-people-in-the-uk-are-not-just-about-managing-at?utm_term=.hqLX4w4Vq#.ixbW2n2jg

11 Million People In The UK Are Not "Just About Managing" At All, New Research Shows

There are 18.9 million people in the UK living below the "minimum income standard", according to a new report, and government policies are hitting certain types of families harder.

TL:DR - Tories are c***s.

In other news, it looks likely that Police Scotland’s VAT Charge will be refunded in the next budget.

Ross Thomson is currently trying to claim it as a Scottish Tory victory....seriously how the f**k did he manage to sneak into office?

16 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesball/11-million-people-in-the-uk-are-not-just-about-managing-at?utm_term=.hqLX4w4Vq#.ixbW2n2jg

11 Million People In The UK Are Not "Just About Managing" At All, New Research Shows

There are 18.9 million people in the UK living below the "minimum income standard", according to a new report, and government policies are hitting certain types of families harder.

TL:DR - Tories are c***s.

The Tories are indeed c***s as is anyone who votes for them.  This is a self evident truth and cannot be repeated too often.