General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

McGrory absolutely demolished there, responding like Harry Enfield’s ‘Teenage Kevin’ character.
It isn’t any wonder that many ‘leavers’ are still unconvinced on a re-think of the Vote when you’ve got people like this leading the line?
Dismissive, intolerant, irritable and petulant.
He’s equally as bad as anyone the Brexit Camp could stump up.
They think it’s all about spin positioning or how to frame the argument to convince, frustrate or confuse voters! How about just trying to tell the truth (as best you can) with the available facts for a change. That would be novel.

McGrory absolutely demolished there, responding like Harry Enfield’s ‘Teenage Kevin’ character.
It isn’t any wonder that many ‘leavers’ are still unconvinced on a re-think of the Vote when you’ve got people like this leading the line?
Dismissive, intolerant, irritable and petulant.
He’s equally as bad as anyone the Brexit Camp could stump up.
They think it’s all about spin positioning or how to frame the argument to convince, frustrate or confuse voters! How about just trying to tell the truth (as best you can) with the available facts for a change. That would be novel.

How about just respecting the result of a referendum

How about just respecting the result of a referendum

I’m fine with respecting the result, I still don’t believe that anyone from either side could have predicted what a complicated mess the decision was going to produce however.

As the clock ticks away, negotiations will become more and more time sensitive and rushed (they always are in the end game), the concessions we will inevitably make will leave no-one in the UK satisfied.

A 2nd Ref on the final deal seems sensible to me, if we reject it then I guess we’ll have to find a third way, meaning we revoke the Article 50 ‘trigger’, If indeed that’s possible? Uncharted waters yes, but surely not as dangerous as blindly diving over the precipice?

On the Single Market referendum?

The single market is one of the corner stones of the EU. Leave the EU and you leave the Single Market.... unless you want to pay over the odds to access it.
I'm still very annoyed about the UK leaving the EU but voting to leave means leaving the SM by default. There is no way the other 27EU countries would allow UK to stay... it would cause mass EU defection

The single market is one of the corner stones of the EU. Leave the EU and you leave the Single Market.... unless you want to pay over the odds to access it.
I'm still very annoyed about the UK leaving the EU but voting to leave means leaving the SM by default. There is no way the other 27EU countries would allow UK to stay... it would cause mass EU defection

That's not what either side said. Nobody in Britain has ever voted to leave the Single Market. Such a momentous change should be put to a referendum.

As much as I agree with your political leanings I really don't accept there should be another referendum. The UK voted to leave the EU... regardless of daft promises (happens every election) it was obvious that this means leaving Single Market(labour and goods), Customs Union and EU Legislation. If this doesn't happen then democracy has lost.
A referendum on the terms of leaving not on the principle of leaving (however crooked or flawed it was).

Please tell me a country outside the EU that has access to the Single Market without having to pay for it and allow freedom of movement(labour) 

You didn't answer the question. And who said anything about not paying for the Single Market whilst being outside? 

Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland all have access to the single market yet are not EU members.

Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine also have access to the Single Market in certain sectors.

Turkey has free movement of goods through membership of the EU Customs Union.

You didn't answer the question. And who said anything about not paying for the Single Market whilst being outside?  

Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland all have access to the single market yet are not EU members.

Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine also have access to the Single Market in certain sectors.

Turkey has free movement of goods through membership of the EU Customs Union.

And they pay for access. No country outwith the EU has access to the SM unless they pay for it. Leaving the EU meant leaving the SM... or paying for access to it.