General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I guess people just want someone to blame. The far-right blame immigrants and people of colour, the far left blame business or capitalism (or Jewish people), whilst the centre ground don't really have big tangible things they can point at to blame.

Or perhaps the people who previously voted for centre parties have seen first hand the damaging impact upon their communities and countries of the EU and have justifiable and completely legitimate frustrations and concerns that make them vote for such parties. But it’s easier for people to just keep their fingers in their ears and dismiss them as ‘bigots’.

6 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Or perhaps the people who previously voted for centre parties have seen first hand the damaging impact upon their communities and countries of the EU and have justifiable and completely legitimate frustrations and concerns that make them vote for such parties. But it’s easier for people to just keep their fingers in their ears and dismiss them as ‘bigots’.

Vile separatist found^ 

If you vote for bigots, you're a bigot.

There is no justifiable reason for backing these utter scum now, just as there was no justifiable reason for doing so in the 1920s and 30s.

If you vote for bigots, you're a bigot.

There is no justifiable reason for backing these utter scum now, just as there was no justifiable reason for doing so in the 1920s and 30s.

What made them vote for ‘bigots’ now but not 10 years ago?

The term ‘bigot/racist’ is used as a slur to denigrate anyone who the real intolerant ones don’t agree with so want yo silence. Seen it with Trump, Brexit, French, Dutch now Italy.

I wonder if you can detail some damage inflicted on your community which can be attributed to EU membership....

Aye but blue passports

Fair enough. What about just any British community then?

The reasons provided by those who voted for Brexit and indeed Trump, Le Pen, Lega etc etc have been well documented. I am not wasting my time repeating them.

My point is that, instead of recognising these reasons or coming up with constructive solutions the usual suspect have instead pretended they don’t exist, ridiculed those who provide the reasons and point blank refused to acknowledge that anything should change.... which ultimately just provides further grievance to those who support populist parties and helps them build up more popularity amongst greater numbers of people who were previously regarded as moderate.

28 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

The reasons provided by those who voted for Brexit and indeed Trump, Le Pen, Lega etc etc have been well documented. I am not wasting my time repeating them.

My point is that, instead of recognising these reasons or coming up with constructive solutions the usual suspect have instead pretended they don’t exist, ridiculed those who provide the reasons and point blank refused to acknowledge that anything should change.... which ultimately just provides further grievance to those who support populist parties and helps them build up more popularity amongst greater numbers of people who were previously regarded as moderate.

Their reasons were bullshit, which invites ridicule.  Hope this helps.

Fair enough. What about just any British community then?

Yeah, didnt think so.

Aye everybody that changed their political outlook just did so randomly and without any reason...
Well I would suggest 2 reasons. For some, a party came along that felt emboldened enough to punt thinly veiled racism in full public view.

For others, they were too gullible to see through the act of the likes of Farage claiming to be a man of the people.

You offered up damage to communities caused by being in the EU. When asked to walk us through this damage you started flip flopping

Well I would suggest 2 reasons. For some, a party came along that felt emboldened enough to punt thinly veiled racism in full public view.

For others, they were too gullible to see through the act of the likes of Farage claiming to be a man of the people.

You offered up damage to communities caused by being in the EU. When asked to walk us through this damage you started flip flopping
He's like a racist version of Supras [emoji38]

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I would add that mainstream liberalism's capitulation to the far right and their inability to address people's economic grievances is another reason.