Highland League 2 Divisions

Whitburn Vale

That's what everybody thought, turned not to be the case.

P.S. Don't see why Cove should get a vote seeing that they don't even have a ground or a timetable for getting one.

O.K., I was wrong then.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shame on you, so was everybody else. :P

Including Whitburn Vale. :lol:

As I've said over on fitba north,it's not regionalisation,it comes down to demographics,more people stay in the shire/grampian than do in the north/highland so naturally theres gonna be more clubs.So in any new set up there will be more clubs from east of the spey than there are west of it,just like there is the now.Must agree though looks like the shire clubs who have always been more pro pyramid(apart from Buckie) are trying to shoehorn the north clubs into this.

Including Whitburn Vale. :lol:

TBF a guy on Fitbanorth who usually has his finger on the pulse jumped the gun a bit out of righteous rage, and we all took it as gospel. It did seem more likely than what actually did happen.

So will this be the end for Fort William?

No.

How would summer football tie in with the play offs and rest of the Scottish season. Seems a non starter to me.

The European leagues that have summer football seem to manage ok with the Europa and Champions League fixtures. I'm sure we could sort something out.

The European leagues that have summer football seem to manage ok with the Europa and Champions League fixtures. I'm sure we could sort something out.

Unless you're suggesting that the rest of Scottish football is supposed to switch our season to the summer just to accommodate the whims of a fifth tier league, I'm not sure that's relevant.

If the SPFL Pyramid play-offs are in April/May, then a summer season in the Highland League clearly isn't going to work.

How would summer football tie in with the play offs and rest of the Scottish season. Seems a non starter to me.

That's the question that came to me, too.

TBF a guy on Fitbanorth who usually has his finger on the pulse jumped the gun a bit out of righteous rage, and we all took it as gospel. It did seem more likely than what actually did happen.

No.

Thank you welshbairn,yeah too be fair we all jumped the gun early doors and your 100% correct it seems to really be about too many loss making midweek games. As for Buckie Thistle they don't know what day of the week it is,they were the only club against the pyramid,now they're all for two divisions and now a reference aff their chairman bout summer fitba!!!

Unless you're suggesting that the rest of Scottish football is supposed to switch our season to the summer just to accommodate the whims of a fifth tier league, I'm not sure that's relevant.

If the SPFL Pyramid play-offs are in April/May, then a summer season in the Highland League clearly isn't going to work.

Aye, I didn't really think it through. The Highland League could cope fine with last season's winner competing in the play offs and leaving mid season, but I don't see how it could accommodate the unlikely event of a demoted SPFL coming into the HL rather than the LL.

The HFL definitely needs to split - there is a massive gulf in class between top and bottom. But they also definitely need more teams. I'd say this was all but unfeasible without 24 teams. And if they can't get to that number it shows the serious weakness of any pyramid structure in the north - to me anyway.

12 splitting after 2 rounds and 2 games vs your half probably would work. Gives about the right amount of games without the shitness of 3x playing . suppose there's potential difficulties in having everyone finish their first 22 games at the same time.

If HL is going to split I don't particularly see it necessary for tier 6 to be region - wide and if it wasn't then it may make expansion easier.

The HFL definitely needs to split - there is a massive gulf in class between top and bottom. But they also definitely need more teams. I'd say this was all but unfeasible without 24 teams. And if they can't get to that number it shows the serious weakness of any pyramid structure in the north - to me anyway.

The top three and the bottom three are pretty well out on their own, but the remaining 12 usually have pretty competitive games when they play each other. I wouldn't want the league to come below 16, it's the variety of away days that I like most about it.

The top three and the bottom three are pretty well out on their own, but the remaining 12 usually have pretty competitive games when they play each other. I wouldn't want the league to come below 16, it's the variety of away days that I like most about it.

I never got to that many away games, but it was nice seeing different teams every other week. However, add in Highland League Cup, Qualifying Cup, North of Scotland Cup, Inverness Cup you were more than likely to play teams more than twice a season. Granted, all different competitions.

Same argument as the old Scottish League First & Second Divisions - "You only played the other teams twice" - in the league, true, but add in 6 League Cup sectional ties, the Summer Cup (although that didn't last too long) and the Scottish Cup, and there was the potential to play the same side 7 times.

I agree, 16 would do the job, but who's getting the chop, Fort William and Rothes? And where are they going to go?

I never got to that many away games, but it was nice seeing different teams every other week. However, add in Highland League Cup, Qualifying Cup, North of Scotland Cup, Inverness Cup you were more than likely to play teams more than twice a season. Granted, all different competitions.

Same argument as the old Scottish League First & Second Divisions - "You only played the other teams twice" - in the league, true, but add in 6 League Cup sectional ties, the Summer Cup (although that didn't last too long) and the Scottish Cup, and there was the potential to play the same side 7 times.

I agree, 16 would do the job, but who's getting the chop, Fort William and Rothes? And where are they going to go?

I'd be happier to see the club with no ground but with lots of money for players, Cove, and Brora with their tantrums, get promoted and let the SPFL deal with their problems.

P.S. There clearly has to be a pyramid including the North Region Super League to sort out out demotion/promotion.

All may well be a bit clearer after Thursdays League Management Committee meeting @ Lossiemouth......

Jimmy Shaker will be on here immediately it finishes with news straight from the cuddies' mouths...

16 would be fine so need to find the balance to make up a 16 below. After that how many are left and is that the point where we see an all in pyramid in the north sorely outnumbered by its south counterpart. There's no easy answer because the demographic of Scotland is bloody awkward.

Archived