Highland League 2 Divisions

Whitburn Vale

16 would be fine so need to find the balance to make up a 16 below. After that how many are left and is that the point where we see an all in pyramid in the north sorely outnumbered by its south counterpart. There's no easy answer because the demographic of Scotland is bloody awkward.

This. If you look at the current crop of clubs in the north (excluding Tayside), there's not many clubs that are near a license. The 18 HL clubs, Golspie and Banks already have one. Outside of that there's Halkirk, Lewis Utd, Aberdeen Uni, Culter (and possibly Orkney) that are anywhere near a license. That's 25 clubs at a stretch. Too many for one league but not really enough for two divisions, which leaves the situation in the quagmire it's currently in.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

16 would be fine so need to find the balance to make up a 16 below. After that how many are left and is that the point where we see an all in pyramid in the north sorely outnumbered by its south counterpart. There's no easy answer because the demographic of Scotland is bloody awkward.

The North Region Super League has 14 at the moment, with promotion and demotion below it. Demote the bottom two from the HL and you have 2x16. Not sure why they should both be the same size though, and I doubt many Super League clubs have flood lights etc. Maybe we should just forget about the pyramid, switch to summer football and wait for an SPFL club to go bust or the league structure to change so ambitious HL sides can apply, like Caley, County, Elgin and Peterhead.

The North Region Super League has 14 at the moment, with promotion and demotion below it. Demote the bottom two from the HL and you have 2x16. Not sure why they should both be the same size though, and I doubt many Super League clubs have flood lights etc. Maybe we should just forget about the pyramid, switch to summer football and wait for an SPFL club to go bust or the league structure to change so ambitious HL sides can apply, like Caley, County, Elgin and Peterhead.

Banks are the only club with the suitble cover and lighting

Culter have some but not enough cover

The rest have no cover and no floodlights. Most of them play in glorified public parks.

The rest have no cover and no floodlights. Most of them play in glorified public parks.

The only one I go to is Inverness City and they're getting kicked off their public park next year, after spending tens of thousands on it.

The only one I go to is Inverness City and they're getting kicked off their public park next year, after spending tens of thousands on it.

Read this on FN, fucking disgrace from Highland Council. I do hope they could find a suitable replacement venue.

Read this on FN, fucking disgrace from Highland Council. I do hope they could find a suitable replacement venue.

They should get the Northern Meeting Ground and send the Cricket wankers to Bught Park, in my unbiased opinion.

I thought council had given them that site to develop. Why are they being kicked off?

I thought council had given them that site to develop. Why are they being kicked off?

I think they were only given a short term lease. Nowhere else was on offer so they had to take it, but under condition that they paid for all the improvements. They got shafted basically.

Unless you're suggesting that the rest of Scottish football is supposed to switch our season to the summer just to accommodate the whims of a fifth tier league, I'm not sure that's relevant.

If the SPFL Pyramid play-offs are in April/May, then a summer season in the Highland League clearly isn't going to work.

Buckie Thistle were the only HL club to vote against the pyramid, so it is possible they advocate this (as you say clearly unworkable) idea due to that.

This. If you look at the current crop of clubs in the north (excluding Tayside), there's not many clubs that are near a license. The 18 HL clubs, Golspie and Banks already have one. Outside of that there's Halkirk, Lewis Utd, Aberdeen Uni, Culter (and possibly Orkney) that are anywhere near a license. That's 25 clubs at a stretch. Too many for one league but not really enough for two divisions, which leaves the situation in the quagmire it's currently in.

Unless I'm mistaken, the clubs in Tier 6 don't need to have a license. They wouldn't be able to get promoted without one, but they can compete at that level quite happily. So you don't need two divisions full of licensed clubs, just one fully licensed division, plus a lower division which has some licensed and some non-licensed clubs.

Reduce the HL to 16 clubs and set-up a lower tier and invite clubs to apply, whether that is a second tier of 12-16, or two smaller east/west divisions. As had been said, these clubs do not need to be licenced but perhaps those interested from the Juniors may like to move across.

Not an accurate statement. Superleague teams in the North Region have to meet ground criteria. Hermes for example have floodlights and regularly play league and cup games using them. Several clubs have also comfortably hosted William Hill Scottish Cup ties. Perhaps you are confusing these clubs with Division One clubs, some of whom more accurately reflect your statement. Certainly the Superleague grounds are far better than some of the middens North clubs have played on in the East and West regions in the Scottish Junior Cup.

Not an accurate statement. Superleague teams in the North Region have to meet ground criteria. Hermes for example have floodlights and regularly play league and cup games using them. Several clubs have also comfortably hosted William Hill Scottish Cup ties. Perhaps you are confusing these clubs with Division One clubs, some of whom more accurately reflect your statement. Certainly the Superleague grounds are far better than some of the middens North clubs have played on in the East and West regions in the Scottish Junior Cup.

How may North Juniors have a proper enclosure or a stand? when I mean proper, one with a capacity of 100 or more. I know Aberdeen Uni have one (old Wilsons XI ground) and Banks O'Dee, anyone else?

How may North Juniors have a proper enclosure or a stand? when I mean proper, one with a capacity of 100 or more. I know Aberdeen Uni have one (old Wilsons XI ground) and Banks O'Dee, anyone else?

Like I said Lewis, Aberdeen Uni, Banks and at a stretch Culter

Longside have a covered terrace and Fraserburgh United have a covered stand. Lewis United used the stand at Aberdeen Sports Village but think that's it.

So we bring in the north juniors to help add depth to that half of the pyramid? Do likewise in the south and you'll have tier 9 teams who are a better standard than Tier 6.

So we bring in the north juniors to help add depth to that half of the pyramid? Do likewise in the south and you'll have tier 9 teams who are a better standard than Tier 6.

I don't see the need to split the Highland League to enable the Pyramid. The team promoted to it from the Superleague will most likely have the floodlights etc required. If something unlikely happens and a team like Inverness City wins it you either give it to the next team or let the the bottom HL team stay up for another season. It will be rare that the bottom SPFL2 team gets demoted to the HL rather than the LL. We don't have to have a system that has detailed coverage for every unlikely eventuality, just one that works most of the time.

Archived