Highland League 2 Divisions

Whitburn Vale

Seems to me that the way games are organised as well as the league structure aswell needs to changed.

Dont get me wrong i like the idea of the 18 team league. Its just the weather at certain times of year takes a huge toll on the pitches and travelling.

If it was possible i would go for 14 team league. 26 games season. Would allow greater flexibility when it comes to fixtures. Then use any free weekends to play the Highland Cup games. Maybe even expanded it or introduce 2 leg rounds.

If you could bring in more teams in to create at least a 10 team second division. Perhaps some teams would like to introduce reserve or under 20 sides. Namely Aberdeen and Inverness.

Its just a thought. Probably a stupid one.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems to me that the way games are organised as well as the league structure aswell needs to changed.

Dont get me wrong i like the idea of the 18 team league. Its just the weather at certain times of year takes a huge toll on the pitches and travelling.

If it was possible i would go for 14 team league. 26 games season. Would allow greater flexibility when it comes to fixtures. Then use any free weekends to play the Highland Cup games. Maybe even expanded it or introduce 2 leg rounds.

If you could bring in more teams in to create at least a 10 team second division. Perhaps some teams would like to introduce reserve or under 20 sides. Namely Aberdeen and Inverness.

Its just a thought. Probably a stupid one.

Not a bad one actually red lichtie,could live with that!!

A sensible proposal was made for a team like Fort William who can barely stage a home game between between the beginning of November till March to have most of their home games scheduled early and late in the season. I don't know why it didn't go through.

I'm not sure if I've asked this before, but do the North Juniors have the same affection for the Junior game that those outwith the Highlands have?  Would they be that bothered if they were pushed to join the HL?

I'm not sure if I've asked this before, but do the North Juniors have the same affection for the Junior game that those outwith the Highlands have?  Would they be that bothered if they were pushed to join the HL?

I don't think so, a few like Banks o Dee are desperate to move up and it's a bit unfair that they haven't. Most don't have the money to upgrade their facilities though, especially floodlighting.

Seeing as Turriff, Strathspey, Formartine, Locos and Cove all abandoned the juniors to joining the SHFL - the latter after just one season - I'd maybes say no.

Saying that, I don't think the aforementioned clubs have any less affection for the juniors - except for Cove, who love themselves and money and nothing else - but Turriff, Formartine, Cove and Locos clearly saw they could better themselves in the SHFL, which even in it's current state of ridiculousness is worlds apart from the north junior set up.

The Highland League has always been the premier (non league) football competition north of Dundee, the Junior game has always played second fiddle and for the majority of clubs it’s not much of a step up from Amateur.

The Juniors has always been the premier (non league) football competition south of Dundee, the (Senior) non-leagues have always played second fiddle up until the introduction of the LL which has brought parity for a number of the top Senior non-league clubs.

I’d say the obvious step forward up north is for the NRJFA to seek merger with the HFL, or at least increased co-operation. Even in the Junior game, 95% of Junior clubs in the North are small fry in the wider Junior world and their future has to be with the HFL in some shape or form.

I don't think so, a few like Banks o Dee are desperate to move up and it's a bit unfair that they haven't. Most don't have the money to upgrade their facilities though, especially floodlighting.

On the issue of floodlights, I think the HL may be on shaky ground. The pyramid requires entry level licence. That doesn't include a requirement for floodlights. Adding in exrra layers beyond what's required elsewhere is unfair.

On the issue of floodlights, I think the HL may be on shaky ground. The pyramid requires entry level licence. That doesn't include a requirement for floodlights. Adding in exrra layers beyond what's required elsewhere is unfair.

The existing pyramid has imposed conditions that all HL fixtures must be completed before the play offs. That means loads of midweek games early season in case there's a bad winter. I don't see how a team could play in the Highland League without them.

There should be consistency across each tier, think we are more likely to see floodlights needed at LL than Hl drop the requirement.

There should be consistency across each tier, think we are more likely to see floodlights needed at LL than Hl drop the requirement.

There is. All LL clubs must have floodlights within three years of being in the league. 14 of the 15 LL clubs have floodlights. Selkirk, I believe are getting theirs at the end of the season. 

There is. All LL clubs must have floodlights within three years of being in the league. 14 of the 15 LL clubs have floodlights. Selkirk, I believe are getting theirs at the end of the season. 

I've previously replied to your point this regard in another thread (since when you've upped it from 2yrs to 3yrs tbf). There are 4 LL clubs without lights.

Whenever I moved here I was shocked to find Irish League clubs (mostly) didn't have floodlights, used as I was to Scottish & Highland League matches.

Back in those days only Glentoran and Linfield had floodlights, afair.

Elgin City had far better facilities than Coleraine back then.

If you went back 20 years, the only floodlights in the EOS League were at Gala and Hawick - and in the SOS League at St Cuthbert (although Threave may have installed around then).

If you went back 10 years, things were a bit better - Preston's new ground; LTHV and Edinburgh City had moved into Saughton and Meadowbank; you had Stranraer Athletic joining SOS League; and Heriot-Watt Uni installed lights.

However the real expansion has come since the late 2000s - various clubs have moved into groundshares; built or moved to 3G facilities; and the likes of Spartans and Edinburgh Uni have built new grounds; Gretna, EK and Cumbernauld joined the system; and Stirling Uni installed lights, as did Easthouses (before they moved to Juniors).

Now:

11 / 15 in LL

7 / 15 in EOSL

6 / 14 in SOSL

have floodlights.

If you went back 20 years, the only floodlights in the EOS League were at Gala and Hawick - and in the SOS League at St Cuthbert (although Threave may have installed around then).

If you went back 10 years, things were a bit better - Preston's new ground; LTHV and Edinburgh City had moved into Saughton and Meadowbank; you had Stranraer Athletic joining SOS League; and Heriot-Watt Uni installed lights.

However the real expansion has come since the late 2000s - various clubs have moved into groundshares; built or moved to 3G facilities; and the likes of Spartans and Edinburgh Uni have built new grounds; Gretna, EK and Cumbernauld joined the system; and Stirling Uni installed lights, as did Easthouses (before they moved to Juniors).

Now:

11 / 15 in LL

7 / 15 in EOSL

6 / 14 in SOSL

have floodlights.

Floodlights won't be much use to them there, surely?

Dalbeattie news article said that the lowland league criteria by the end of next season will be to have floodlights. There was no mention of it being after 2 or 3 years.

• 4 weeks later...

4 clubs applied for 3 places,Banks O Dee,Formartine United,Turriff United and Strathspey Thistle. Banks o Dee were the unsuccessful club.Banks o Dee would be first in now no doubt about it,with them being licensed now,only Golspie Sutherland of the NCL are the only other club north of the Tay that are licensed. Talk is they're not too fussed bout moving up,they're league rivals Halkirk United who have a good set up at Morrison Park were said to be interested though. Apart from Banks and Halkirk I haven't heard of any other interested parties,that would be enough though for the much touted 2 leagues of 10. There's a story in the Northern Scot today about a counter proposal from the "other" ten chairman,Forres chairman has a say on it but he doesn't go into detail what their proposal's are. They're waiting till the upcoming LMC meeting to put their proposal's to the gang of "8".

Archived