County v United

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge huge game against the Sheep on Wednesday, especially if Killie fail to beat County the night before.

I'd take a draw. Four points from County and Aberdeen is pretty good (obviously a win would be better but I'm being cautious)

Gettin really tired of our rigid addiction to Martin Woods ahead of Ian McShane and playing 44fucking2 regardless of the opposition (unless they're Celtic).

Well done Utd though, sounds like you really deserved it, and after last season i have a good idea of how you guys have felt lately.

Deserved win from United today, better in every area. Worst County performance I've seen in a long time.

Didn't see the off the ball incident. Someone told me there was a punch but I didn't see it so no idea. Anyone get a look?

County doing a reverse County by being absolutely gash in the second half of the season as opposed to the first.

P.S., We can safely file the "Jackson Irvine as a wide midfielder" idea away in the bin.

Outfought and outplayed.

United had a couple of shaky moments in the first half at the back. On the whole, I thought Durnan was great at LCB and looked more assured than the other two. Having Paton and Rankin as a partnership again, snapping into tackles and moving the ball simply, is such a big thing to that team just now. I feared it was game over as soon as Dow came on, because County weren't making chances and playing too open for him not to hurt them.

County were tactically outclassed. I know Mixu's 3-4-1-2 isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it couldn't have suited today any better. County's 4-4-2 looked so rigid: Paton and Rankin bettered Woods and McShane, who were firstly competing between themselves as to who was going to play-make, even more than competing against the opposition; Irvine didn't know what he was doing; there were three defenders who barely gave any of County's strikers a sniff of a threat at goal; and they could still afford two up front and Fraser floating. The theoretical weakness was on the flanks, but County didn't have the players apart from Gardyne to hurt them there.

Irvine going in beside Woods for the second half made sense to an extent, with Franks going to give wing play, but I don't remember Franks putting in a cross from open play. That was because the service from CM was murder, with Irvine looking quite naive in some of his play against two experienced midfielders, and Woods wanting far too many touches on the ball.

County had the personnel on the pitch to make the difference quite early on, but McIntyre needed to switch the formation about. He could have made a 4-3-3 easily out of that team and really stretched the United back three. Of course, that was never likely to happen.

There were too many players having an off day: Boyce, Gardyne (who still tried everything he could), Schalk (who looked rattled from the rough defending), and the midfielders probably played their worst games of the season. Apart from McShane, who played one bad pass across the pitch (but Woods shouldn't have given it to him in that position)... otherwise I thought he played well and didn't deserve to be taken off, but someone had to and it wasn't going to be the others.

I need to see the set-pieces again, but I thought County's back four played reasonably well despite the scoreline. McLaughlin was my MOTM from the County team, a couple of loose set-pieces aside. He showed everything he typically shows in the DL and I'm happy he stepped up to the occasion. He could be a good player for the first team in the next few years.

When I saw the United XI I thought that was too good to go down. That was so much a better performance than the 1-0 win at Tannadice. That's the basis of a good team, Ofere aside (he's rubbish and I'm not just saying that because he should've been sent off for a blatant punch on Quinn behind the ref's back... Schalk should've been sent off later as well).

I'm spewing at how rubbish County were, but credit to United who showed the kind of spunk that County had this time last year. I think they'll stay up. And the inevitable meltdown from certain Dundee fans will be hilarious if it happens.

Archived