Clyde V Shire

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two ways of looking at it C_D

One shows hurt other shows something else

Might come down to how long Gemmell out.

if he doesn't ship up at Annan then doubt we will see him again Ferguson strikes me as type if manager if he takes the nip then that's it

my boy knows his pal basically been told he won't feature for us again

Cheers,

I never understood why he left us to go to Clyde. He was on the fringe of things with us, but was always going to find it far harder to break through the competition at Broadwood. I think he has loads of ability, but no heart. I can only assume more money was on offer..

Why?? Esp When we have no pace in midfield...!!

Very odd considering BF said at start o season at fans meetin he wanted to sign brisbane on longer contract

that's what he told his pal he doesn't think he will play for us again , he didn't even make the bench tonight obviously Ferguson doesn't rate him now strange to me surely he could get another run in team

Why?? Esp When we have no pace in midfield...!!

Very odd considering BF said at start o season at fans meetin he wanted to sign brisbane on longer contract

think biggest problem we have is goals we need to wrap Gemmell up in cotton wool and hope he stays fit

Gormley works hard but he hasn't scored since the four v Berwick

A turnover of 60 odd players in 2 seasons suggests BF's judgement on players is questionable to say the least.

Then there is the fact that many players are not given time to prove themselves as after a few poor performances they are sidelined or binned, unless called Scott McLaughlin.

East Stirlingshire defended well and could easily have scored more than the one goal that they did get. They always seem to save one of those performances for us every season and like Barry Ferguson I'm confused as to why they're bottom. Bar a good ball for the opening goal I thought the two wide players were rotten and gave the ball away constantly but the back four didn't lose it's shape and the two in the middle of the pitch covered a lot of ground and took the sting out the game when they could.

Reasons we lost

Some of this will sound like excuse making and taking credit away from ES and it isn't. Here are the main reasons we lost the game tonight:

1) No output from either fullback. This is my first comment and easily the most relevant. Easy to slate Durie tonight (and he was dreadful) but Smith needs to offer a lot more in games like that. It's not his fault of course as he's fundamentally a centre half. I think the left-back from Hamilton would help in that regard. We need to move Linton deeper/go to a back three much quicker as he doesn't really beat players. Breaking down an 11 man rearguard is impossible if you don't attack from all areas of the pitch. It's a shame as neither wide player of East Stirlingshire were particularly quick on the turn defensively and there was opportunities there to get overloads out wide. It didn't help either that Slane was rubbish; I'd probably not have subbed him but he didn't have a good game at all.

2) Absent players. An easy cop-out, and some of it is self-infilicted, but Marko, Gemmell, Gormley and Fergie would all have started today, whilst McMann may have done. Take four first team players, three of whom are attackers, out of any side in the league and there'll be a drop off in quality and performance. Especially as it then shifts the onus onto guys that aren't really able to lead the team; Marsh, Higgins, Durie.

3) Slinging Marvin on. It didn't work at all and there wasn't really any need for us to start going route 1 either. Prior to that we were still getting into channels and winning set pieces, from which we had a number of half chances. He shouldn't have been attacking the ball from a central position either; he has to start wide in the penalty area and then attack it. I blame BF for that one incidentally, as he was waving him back into the middle when he did drift wider.

4) The second midfielder. McGovern had a much better second half and the number of times he played passes into an attacker dropping off the front was impressive. However, we didn't have that third runner; Marsh (who was our best outfield player tonight; did exactly what he had to do in a couple of different positions) isn't really intelligent enough at it and McLaughlin doesn't cover the ground quickly enough to do it. Breaking lines and all that is hipster football chat but to be honest it is what you need to do in games like that and it's something we've struggled with all season.

McLaughlin does okay at times; he's good at turning into space in tight areas and I think he probably has a bigger influence organising the team than some realise. However, the minute he starts giving the ball away he needs replaced. Should've been subbed after about 75 minutes today. We lost quite a bit from the last two games by not having Higgins playing deeper and there's no way he should be in the team as a striker. He's good when he's looking towards goal, rubbish when looking back down the pitch.

5) We didn't utilise Watson properly when he came on. He started to stretch them in behind and that opened up a good bit of space between their back-line and midfield but other than Marsh we didn't get enough bodies into that space. McLaughlin probably to blame but Linton could also have tucked in more if we'd had an overlapping threat at left-back.

5) Bad luck. Whatever anyone says, it's a fact that luck is always a factor in any game; Saturday we got a bit of a fluke goal and won, tonight we had a number of goalmouth scrambles where the ball could easily have ended up in the net. East Stirlingshire had to win tonight and if we'd got level with a chunk of time left in the game, I think we'd probably have won it as they looked to attack more. It's always a flimsy excuse, and not anything that BF can affect or indeed use as an excuse, but it's still one of the reasons we lost the match so it's worth mentioning.

6) The defending at the goal. Smith is good defending one-on-one but he's sometimes slow to get out and block a cross. Looked like Millen was caught on his heels in the middle as well. Great cross and good movement from McKenna admittedly.

6) Lack of effort/gutless etc. Thought I'd put that in there as I heard some oracles say it on the way out of the game.

It's disappointing given the last three games but we've always just fallen a bit short this season. Need to pick ourselves up on Saturday as three points will make the rest of the season a bit easier. I still haven't lost hope that Gunn/Austin will injure each other at the weekend.

David W to be fair there's only 19 points between top and bottom. It's a tight league, someone's got to be 10th. I would say if the shire had played more of the season like we have in the last month, it wouldn't be us that's 10th..

East Stirlingshire defended well and could easily have scored more than the one goal that they did get. They always seem to save one of those performances for us every season and like Barry Ferguson I'm confused as to why they're bottom. Bar a good ball for the opening goal I thought the two wide players were rotten and gave the ball away constantly but the back four didn't lose it's shape and the two in the middle of the pitch covered a lot of ground and took the sting out the game when they could.

Reasons we lost

Some of this will sound like excuse making and taking credit away from ES and it isn't. Here are the main reasons we lost the game tonight:

1) No output from either fullback. This is my first comment and easily the most relevant. Easy to slate Durie tonight (and he was dreadful) but Smith needs to offer a lot more in games like that. It's not his fault of course as he's fundamentally a centre half. I think the left-back from Hamilton would help in that regard. We need to move Linton deeper/go to a back three much quicker as he doesn't really beat players. Breaking down an 11 man rearguard is impossible if you don't attack from all areas of the pitch. It's a shame as neither wide player of East Stirlingshire were particularly quick on the turn defensively and there was opportunities there to get overloads out wide. It didn't help either that Slane was rubbish; I'd probably not have subbed him but he didn't have a good game at all.

2) Absent players. An easy cop-out, and some of it is self-infilicted, but Marko, Gemmell, Gormley and Fergie would all have started today, whilst McMann may have done. Take four first team players, three of whom are attackers, out of any side in the league and there'll be a drop off in quality and performance. Especially as it then shifts the onus onto guys that aren't really able to lead the team; Marsh, Higgins, Durie.

3) Slinging Marvin on. It didn't work at all and there wasn't really any need for us to start going route 1 either. Prior to that we were still getting into channels and winning set pieces, from which we had a number of half chances. He shouldn't have been attacking the ball from a central position either; he has to start wide in the penalty area and then attack it. I blame BF for that one incidentally, as he was waving him back into the middle when he did drift wider.

4) The second midfielder. McGovern had a much better second half and the number of times he played passes into an attacker dropping off the front was impressive. However, we didn't have that third runner; Marsh (who was our best outfield player tonight; did exactly what he had to do in a couple of different positions) isn't really intelligent enough at it and McLaughlin doesn't cover the ground quickly enough to do it. Breaking lines and all that is hipster football chat but to be honest it is what you need to do in games like that and it's something we've struggled with all season.

McLaughlin does okay at times; he's good at turning into space in tight areas and I think he probably has a bigger influence organising the team than some realise. However, the minute he starts giving the ball away he needs replaced. Should've been subbed after about 75 minutes today. We lost quite a bit from the last two games by not having Higgins playing deeper and there's no way he should be in the team as a striker. He's good when he's looking towards goal, rubbish when looking back down the pitch.

5) We didn't utilise Watson properly when he came on. He started to stretch them in behind and that opened up a good bit of space between their back-line and midfield but other than Marsh we didn't get enough bodies into that space. McLaughlin probably to blame but Linton could also have tucked in more if we'd had an overlapping threat at left-back.

5) Bad luck. Whatever anyone says, it's a fact that luck is always a factor in any game; Saturday we got a bit of a fluke goal and won, tonight we had a number of goalmouth scrambles where the ball could easily have ended up in the net. East Stirlingshire had to win tonight and if we'd got level with a chunk of time left in the game, I think we'd probably have won it as they looked to attack more. It's always a flimsy excuse, and not anything that BF can affect or indeed use as an excuse, but it's still one of the reasons we lost the match so it's worth mentioning.

6) The defending at the goal. Smith is good defending one-on-one but he's sometimes slow to get out and block a cross. Looked like Millen was caught on his heels in the middle as well. Great cross and good movement from McKenna admittedly.

6) Lack of effort/gutless etc. Thought I'd put that in there as I heard some oracles say it on the way out of the game.

It's disappointing given the last three games but we've always just fallen a bit short this season. Need to pick ourselves up on Saturday as three points will make the rest of the season a bit easier. I still haven't lost hope that Gunn/Austin will injure each other at the weekend.

and there was me thinking we lost cause we were S****:)

A turnover of 60 odd players in 2 seasons suggests BF's judgement on players is questionable to say the least.

Then there is the fact that many players are not given time to prove themselves as after a few poor performances they are sidelined or binned, unless called Scott McLaughlin.

Despite the turnover arguments (and BF will be the first to admit he got it badly wrong last season), we've actually had a pretty consistent team this year. About 9 players have played in nearly every game they've been available for (Gibson, Bolo, Smith, Marko, Marsh, McGovern, Gormley, McLaughlin, Linton, possibly include Durie as well) and I don't imagine many teams having a much more consistent selection than that.

In terms of success rate, out of the summer signings I think we've done pretty well. Only around 40% of signings involving fees prove value for money and whilst I'm not sure how that translates to free signings (I'm not sure anyone would have calculated it, or indeed how you would), we've clearly not done too badly. If I think of any team in the league I can think of players who they signed last summer who aren't contributing anything worthwhile.

Losing Mitchell and sending out Higgins/Robb/Lynass on loan (something he wanted to do last summer) meant we had to add a few in January. The only one he really got rid of was Campbell and he had plenty of chances. Replacing him with Gemmell is a no brainer.

I don't see any problem binning players who are clearly not good enough; I'm still in disbelief that Duffy dished out new contracts to Watt, Gray, Capuano, Scullion etc after the play-off defeat.

It's just another stick to beat a manager with after a defeat.

Archived