Potential Signings for Top Table

Since I started watching football way back in the sixties I would like to have been able to say that Scottish football has developed and progressed but I can't . Instead it's stumbled from crisis to crises rivaling some of the best soaps on t v . For me the return of Rangers to the premier league is merely the next episode and like all good soaps should have lots of twists and turns. I wonder who'll cuddle up to them first?

I can't wait to find out.

You talked about distribution of prize money, Im honestly not too sure how that works but I do remember something about the Championship sides getting more with less going to leagues 1 and 2 and I don't think the premier money was actually reduced. Robbing Peter to pay Paul springs to mind.

You say my views are bizarre well if that's true then it's because I've been exposed to Scottish football for a long time.

I've been around for a while too, although you perhaps beat me there by a decade or so.

During that time, changes in consumer behaviour and football's structures have contributed to the OF being in a much, much stronger relative position to the others, than was the case in my earlier days.

That's been detrimental and there were signs of hope in recent years for something a bit more egalitarian again, but they are now disappearing.

Pity.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Warburton has already said that we won't be bring in any 'star' players, Tedis post is pretty much spot on.

^^^^Tongue punching tedis ring type post.

Signing Jordan Rossiter from Liverpool as his contract runs out this summer & will cost about £250k

Yip, being reported by the Liverpool Echo.

I've seen quite a bit of him in the youth teams at Liverpool and he always stood out. Been a bit unlucky with injuries at the wrong time, he's not the quickest and he's got a bit of bulking up to do but he's a good footballer.

I see that The Hootsmon are also linking us to Grant Hanley: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/rangers/rangers-eye-moves-for-grant-hanley-and-jordan-rossiter-1-4119586

Not sure I'm convinced ether by the player or the fee.

I'm not convinced he's worth taking on a free, never mind paying a fee for him.  A quick, tall centre back who can pass is what is needed, perhaps raid the lower leagues in England again.

I doubt Rangers would spend £3m on just one player this summer. Then there's Hanley's reported salary of £28k a week.

Add to that the fact he's not worth the money it makes the signing a complete non starter.

Rossiter sounds like a good signing and in a position we have needed all season.  Windass and Crooks are again two players who are getting good reviews, really hope we see another striker come in.  Danny Graham is being touted, but a bit unsure about his recent record.

I doubt Rangers would spend £3m on just one player this summer. Then there's Hanley's reported salary of £28k a week.

Add to that the fact he's not worth the money it makes the signing a complete non starter.

Very much doubt we'd spend £3m on one player, it's not really needed imo.

3 or 4 players of premier league quality along with a couple of loan players will suffice.

European football is the target for next season.

Could be but I think for Rangers to really challenge they're going to need Steve Davis, Nikica Jelavic type signings. Two or three players who'll significantly enhance the quality of the team.

Not entirely with you on this, Pundy.  The approach MW seems to be taking is 'smart signings' rather than 'expensive signings' and I think he's been vindicated here this season.  Our most expensive signing - MOH - has been a dud so far though I think this will change when he 'gets' how to play our system.

The other aspect to how our team is set up is 'the whole is greater than the sum of the parts' and this has worked well.  There's a plan and players play to the plan.  A flaw with 'spending big' is that you change the plan to fit with the player.

The problem with moh is that he's used to counter attacking and exploiting space, at Rangers he's trying to break doon packed defences.

I reckon he'll come good next season with a wee bit of work.

Archived