You Lost That Loving Feeling...

I'd say between the ages of 14-20 I was going to atleast 30 games a season, usually a lot more, I think I was on about 50 consecutively at one point. Then the year we lost the league to Dunfermline I was so scunnered by it all I pretty much gave up and went back to playing ammy football (not really that game, more the fact we totally blew it and some of the heartbreak along the way, then the fact that Dunfermline went up and got routinely ridden every week and we would have faired much the same if not worse made me question what the point of it was)

I'd say I was still going to somewhere between 5-10 games a season after that though if I had no game or it was a decent game coming up but other than that I would just check the score after my game then catch the second half with a pint and soccer Saturday.

I gave up ammy back in October though and have been steadily going back to the games and now I have a real buzz for it again, the fact we're doing not too badly is helping I guess. I'm going to pick up a season book next season though and start going to away games again as I'm not really into Saturday nights out so much anymore and a few beers, a game of football and a day out seem better anyway.

Long story short, I did lose that loving feeling for a long time, but the grass isn't always greener and now I'm back.

Your first paragraph emphasises my point. The SPL is pointless, if you could have said look you've won the league here's a couple of million but you will stay in the chamionship I would've preferred it.

All my best memories of being a pars fan have been outside the SPL. We were successful for a spell there so it's not just losing more often. It's knowing that there's zero chance of winning it for anyone apart from you know who and then the stupid split that doesn't make any sense. I wish the old firm would f**k off TBH as it would make for a much better league all round. There's a chance that other teams could win it and they wouldn't dominate.

The SPL is pointless apart from more money.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nearly jacked in the season ticket last season as it has been season after season of utter pish down Forthbank way.

The hard core of the supporters club are all near breaking point with the football part of the football - if it wasnae for the drink and the banter we'd have chucked it years ago.

Now we have a big mouth goalie repeatedly telling supporters not to come if we don't support the team.

This was down at Berwick were the performance was so bad it should have been stopped! A parting of the ways is ahead.

The hard core of the supporters club are all near breaking point with the football part of the football - if it wasnae for the drink and the banter we'd have chucked it years ago.

The only reason I still go to Scotland home matches! It's who you go with more than what you're going to see!

I used to have a season ticket for a few years and also went to most away games. Gave it up (the season ticket) when I moved to Aberdeen in 2007. Still went to some games but not too many. Had to move back to Fife in 2012 so got to a few more games but found East End to be an increasingly dull place to be.

I haven't been to a home match since the playoff final defeat. I just think East End is too boring a place to watch football. There aren't many fans, there isn't much singing and folk tend to be much more moany. I just go to away games these days. Managed quite a few this year and have a couple more planned.

The only reason I still go to Scotland home matches! It's who you go with more than what you're going to see!

I always saw the football as an excuse for a day out. If you said to someone that you and a few mates went to a pub in Stranraer for a few hours only to come home straight after, they'd think you're mental. If they know football's involved then it all gets downgraded... to just a bit mental.

For this reason, I can't just sit at home and watch a random game. Exception is when there's a pile of beer, in which it's more acceptable to drink it watching a match rather than some nature documentary.

Been to about 2 matches this season, don't plan on going back anytime soon. It's not hard to stay away when you support a club who are morally bankrupt and followed more or less entirely by knuckle draggers.

About two games? Two games or not? No difficult to remember thicko.

I used to go as often as I could but one incident left me feeling like nothing more than a number. I was trying to book hospitality for a game against the rangers and every time I phoned up I was told we are not taking bookings yet. I was phoning Weekly and left my number so that they would contact me when the hospitality for that game was available. I had explained it was myself and my friends birthday and we wanted to book six space. I then phoned up one week to be told we weren't getting it as they had given the allocation of hospitality to a group of rangers fans who had phoned and booked. I had asked about why I had been phoning every week and asked you to phone me back when it went on sale for you to just give it to someone else anyway.

Having kids is a great way to break the habit. Until they show an interest themselves when older. I'm still waiting on that. Moving abroad also kills the emotional bond somewhat.

Still love Dunfermline just as much now as I did before despite finding it harder to get to games, being able to watch the games through ParsTV is a big plus point, you still feel involved.

I passed int 2 maths at the first sitting, hardly a thicko so wind yer neck in.

^^^ Judged not good enough to sit the SG credit paper and then scraped the credit equivalent after another year at it type post.

I used to go as often as I could but one incident left me feeling like nothing more than a number. I was trying to book hospitality for a game against the rangers and every time I phoned up I was told we are not taking bookings yet. I was phoning Weekly and left my number so that they would contact me when the hospitality for that game was available. I had explained it was myself and my friends birthday and we wanted to book six space. I then phoned up one week to be told we weren't getting it as they had given the allocation of hospitality to a group of rangers fans who had phoned and booked. I had asked about why I had been phoning every week and asked you to phone me back when it went on sale for you to just give it to someone else anyway.

That's shite patter in all honestly, i would be pissed off aswell.

I used to have a season ticket at Motherwell for quite a few years as a youngster, my favourite years were when me and my mate were old enough to go to the games ourselves before work started to get in the way.

I started a job which meant I worked Saturday when I was 17, was also studying at this point. This meant I started to miss most games, I still went if me and my mate both had a Saturday off. As time went on and I finished uni, starting work full time my attendances started fading away, I became far more appreciative of the monetary aspect when I moved out my parents house. 23 bucks to sit and watch Motherwell playing Dundee United for the sixth time that season on a Tuesday night? No ta.

I had always supported Lanark United as well, going to watch them if Motherwell weren't playing, or away from home. Once I finished my Saturday job and moved into a Monday to Friday pattern I was watching the Yowes every week instead and there hasn't been a season since about 2007/08 where I've been to more than 5 or 6 'Well games, if you'd told me that would be the case when I was 15/16 I'd have thought you were daft.

i love the game of football, watching it and playing it, it puts you through the wringer like no other game. I've watched Lanark since I was a wee boy with my dad and have lots of memories, I've seen them win a cup and go through three relegations on the bounce, three nil up at half time to avoid the drop and get beat 5-3. Beating the big boys in the top division and then a couple of years later standing in the pishing rain getting humped in the bottom division. Travelled to great grounds, rubbish grounds and seen all sorts along the way. I love junior football, I get frustrated  with certain aspects of it at times but the real spirit of football is still there and hasn't been ruined by greed and money.

I love the game of football as much as I ever have, I have no time however for the greed and offensive sums of money flying about at the top level of the game. I've little interest in the sterile and dull English Premier League or the constant pandering to the top clubs in European Football. Seeding etc is bad enough, but if the plans to have wildcard entries into the Champions League come to anything then the baws up on the slates, they might as well knock all the grounds down, burst the balls and pack the whole thing in.

I absolutely love Scottish Football and do go most Saturday's, definitely at home anyway, fell out of love a lot with Lumsden here though as I felt like we had no future with him and he totally kicked the arse out of the club but glad we have Campbell in now and I'm already looking forward to the summer.

I love the national tournaments and I DO still quite enjoy the EPL and Champions league etc but not to the same levels I once did. Don't think Scottish Football will ever get boring though, it's too raw and at times hilarious. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Agree with this , scottish football is so bizzare , that is what makes it great in my eyes , also think our rivalries, taunts and banter are more authentic than anything down in England , lot of rivalries in England seem media made and bigged up , arsenal and Man U being the prime example , only reason they were rivals was when they were the top two teams , apart from that their is no real rivalry .obviously Rangers v celtic , hearts v hibs are obvious ones but as a Rangers fan I have noticed we have always had a wee rivalry with the likes of aberdeen and hibs and the game always raises the atmoshpheres for both sets of fans no matter how many positions or points separated us

Infact two best games I have enjoyed as a neutral this season where scottish games , the aberdeen county 3-2 ding dong and also the first edinburgh Derby at tynecastle was a craicing watch , by no means great football on display but entertaining none the less

I used to go to every home game, and if the supporters club were running a bus I'd normally go to away games too. Started working weekends and stopped going to games unless I had taken holidays for some reason.

Started going again about halfway through last season although that was more for the social aspect of it rather than the football, however now not being able to get a halftime pint in the legion which was quite a big part of that social aspect, I probably won't go as often.

I used to go to every home game, and if the supporters club were running a bus I'd normally go to away games too. Started working weekends and stopped going to games unless I had taken holidays for some reason.

Started going again about halfway through last season although that was more for the social aspect of it rather than the football, however now not being able to get a halftime pint in the legion which was quite a big part of that social aspect, I probably won't go as often.

A half time punt couldn't be that enjoyable anyway surely? Just seems a hassle.

There's a pretty easy way to make Scottish Football ten times more entertaining.

Get rid of the Old Firm.

Start selling drink at the grounds.

There will then be genuine competition for trophies, and if a game is shite people will be too pished to care. Sorted.

There's a pretty easy way to make Scottish Football ten times more entertaining.

Get rid of the Old Firm.

Start selling drink at the grounds.

There will then be genuine competition for trophies, and if a game is shite people will be too pished to care. Sorted.

Ayr, watered down lager in a plastic cup for a fiver is definitely the answer.

With me, my passion for football has dimmed slightly over the years more than falling out of love with it completely. I've been supporting Queen's Park now for 20 years. In my first season I just went to home games. From my second season onwards I got a season ticket and went to almost all home games and a number of away games, firstly with one of my mum's cousins who also went to games then on the supporters bus. This all continued until the end of season 2000/01 when I left school, started uni and got a part time job working the majority of weekends which, to my frustration, meant I hardly ever got to go. Since 2006, when I was lucky enough to get a Monday-Friday 9-5 existence, I've been back more regularly though don't have a season ticket and just pay as I go. I compete as an athlete in distance running and often training and races at weekends stops me going to the football. I also tend to be on holiday at the start of the season so miss those too. I average 15-20 games a season, mainly home ones with a few of the close by away ones too. I've been to 14 so far this season, 12 home and 2 away. It would have been 15 but I missed a home game last month, spending the afternoon in A & E after nearly breaking my ankle training in the morning.

As for football generally, despite there being a game virtually every night on TV, I hardly ever sit through a full 90 minutes. The EPL and Champions League bore me and I've little interest in La Liga etc. I'll watch Match of the Day and I like going to the juniors or other games sometimes eg I watch East Kilbride FC or East Kilbride Thistle if QP aren't playing or are away at Elgin or something. In general then, I used to love football but now only have a passing interest. That said, no matter how many games I attend, Queen's are still my team and get my full support any time I'm there.

Archived