You Lost That Loving Feeling...

So, it's 3pm on a Saturday, and you've almost forgotten about the fitba, reminded only by your mates heading off to something you previously frequented, often religiously.

Have any of you ever lost the faith,from going to the football almost every week, to refurbishing the attic or doing the shopping when Saturday comes with just Sportsound to keep you happy, perhaps even forgetting that there was football on at all?

Being sick of travelling to winter games only for them being postponed, to taking up summer hillwalking when friends suggested it as an alternative option during the summer started the rot for me last season tbh. When bad results used to get me down, now they can be shrugged off in seconds.

Basically, anybody here lost that loving feeling?

:(

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very much a fair weather supporter at the best of times, but as I wait outside the dressing room in Debenhams for my girlfriend to try on yet another dress, I can't help but wistfully think of being in Coatbridge to watch Albion Rovers and us play out a nil-nil draw.

I'm very much a fair weather supporter at the best of times, but as I wait outside the dressing room in Debenhams for my girlfriend to try on yet another dress, I can't help but wistfully think of being in Coatbridge to watch Albion Rovers and us play out a nil-nil draw.

You spoke too soon. 0-1 

Me, I used to go every Saturday, then we moved ground, I moved abroad, got out the habit, moved back and more or less gave up. I substituted politics for the football but even that I have grown bored with.

I used to feel guilty about not going but that has passed. It's also feels like a trek for sod all results as every time I travelled from Edinburgh to Methil, we lost - I did think about going back this year but never did and if I did turn up, no doubt there would be pelters from lads that stuck it through thick and thin and they would be right.

When footballer became a ridiculous business I stopped watching it on tv, the sight of some mug spending £1,000 on a Chelsea season ticket going tits at a £200k per week player who doesn't give a toss is ridiculous.

When my club started to run as a business but treated the fans with contempt and then wouldn't answer an email or phonecall to renew my season ticket I tailed right off. All of a sudden paying at the gate seems a rip off and the money gets spent on better things.

I still read match reports and keep up to date but didn't know what one of our January signings looked like until the game today on TV.

I'll go to a couple of games a season for the near future, Hearts away and spanking the Arabs at home are my only outings so far.

Don't intend to have kids but if I did and lived in Glasgow I'm sure I'd take a son for something to do and to bond as much as anything.

My last spell out was 5 years at end of school then uni due to working Saturday jobs. But if I do return I won't be getting smashed in the train to Forfar away in a pre season friendly anymore.

I've certainly stopped going as often as I used to, in my late teens I rarely missed a game home or away, but moving out of the family home and having a family of my own meant that money was better spent elsewhere.

This period of my life also coincided with us being relegated to the bottom tier and playing some of the worst football I've seen in the 20 odd years I've been following Clyde, but I doubt I could ever completely stop. Even if I haven't been to a game in six weeks+, I always miss it and try my hardest to get along to the next available one.

I've started taking my eldest boy occasionally, but it's not difficult to see why so many people are staying away. I decided last minute to head to Arbroath a couple of weeks ago, and took the boy with me. I spent the best part of 100 quid on the day, and that was having spent nothing on ale as I had the boy with me.

When footballer became a ridiculous business I stopped watching it on tv, the sight of some mug spending £1,000 on a Chelsea season ticket going tits at a £200k per week player who doesn't give a toss is ridiculous.

:lol:

I supported Celtic blindly because of family and school mates but when I got older I ended up not wanting to live that way. I also saw through the Champions League and big leagues but did get much more interested in the rest of Scottish Football.

With where I live there's lots of local teams at senior and junior and I've been to most. I prefer some to others and basically just follow the leagues and go to any games nearby that look good. That's maybe just once every month or two but I do watch games on TV.

I've recently had a son and if I'm lucky enough that he's into football too ill take him around the grounds when he's bigger and see who he likes. That'll mean more to me.

I supported Celtic blindly because of family and school mates but when I got older I ended up not wanting to live that way. I also saw through the Champions League and big leagues but did get much more interested in the rest of Scottish Football.

With where I live there's lots of local teams at senior and junior and I've been to most. I prefer some to others and basically just follow the leagues and go to any games nearby that look good. That's maybe just once every month or two but I do watch games on TV.

I've recently had a son and if I'm lucky enough that he's into football too ill take him around the grounds when he's bigger and see who he likes. That'll mean more to me.

Absolutely fair play to you for ditching Celtic, but I could not ever go to another ground and just watch football for the sake of watching football week in, week out. In the past if we've had a free week or I've not bothered going to Elgin/Peterhead etc... I've went along to another game with friends who are supporting their team, but couldn't bring myself to do it all the time.

Different kettle of fish with football on the telly though, I regularly watch the Welsh game that's on S4C, happy watching any old shite on the box!

Absolutely fair play to you for ditching Celtic, but I could not ever go to another ground and just watch football for the sake of watching football week in, week out. In the past if we've had a free week or I've not bothered going to Elgin/Peterhead etc... I've went along to another game with friends who are supporting their team, but couldn't bring myself to do it all the time.

Different kettle of fish with football on the telly though, I regularly watch the Welsh game that's on S4C, happy watching any old shite on the box!

Im the conplete opposite - I love live football, would watch any game that happened to be nearby but can't be bothered watching anything on TV unless it's the top level.

Thanks Adam! What was I thinking!

About going to other games, I totally understand. Sometimes I get Fed up myself and leave early as it usually doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I like the travelling about and I know a lot of guys who support teams so it's sociable as well.

I'd like to have the feeling of the result really nattering and hopefully it will if the wee fella takes it up! Then again it might just be that getting older and family matters and football less and less.

The last time I went regularly, home and away to Rovers games was 1996. I went to uni in '97 and didn't move back to Kdy until 2009. I can't say I missed it that much.

I started going again during the Anelka season and I was probably making 5-10 games a season. I've now been a season ticket holder since 2012 and go to about 10-15 home games a season and possibly 2-3 away games. I'd say it's a habit now rather than a passion.

Still, I am back in the habit at the moment, although I often get that 'why do I still do this?' feeling. If I didn't have a season ticket, then I'd probably give up on the winter fixtures.

I used to be a season ticket holder and home and away supporter. Nowadays I only go to games sporadically and if I fancy taking in a game on a whim one Saturday then I wander down to Holm Park and watch either Yoker or Clydebank, whichever happens to be the home side that day. The change for me happened three years ago when we started trying for a family. We were expecting by the time the summer came along so I already knew I wouldn't be getting a season book and spending my weekends with my kid is more important to me now. When he's old enough to go and enjoy a game then I'll likely start going regularly again with him. In the meantime I'm generally too busy running about after him to worry too much about the scores as they happen. It probably doesn't help that the sporadic Killie / Dumbarton games I go to are usually shite, hence I don't miss it all that much as when I'm at a game bored, freezing and disappointed I know I'd be happier at home.

Late teens I used to go every week. Tailed off and Tailed off over the years, but I would always be listening to sportsound on a Saturday, or even the commentary when available.

Last season I had so little interest I couldn't even have told you who, or even when, we were playing.

Taking more interest this year as my eldest is approaching four, so took him to his first game v Cove, and will do anything in my power to stop him from being lured by the OF

Never missed a home game and went to a few away per season. Moved to England first, then Hong Kong now the Philippines. Watched a lot of tv football in England at home, in the pub in HK and now no chance.

Still love my team but long since stopped missing going to games.

Haven't been to as many away games this season simply down to money issues. I personally can't think of anything I'd rather do on a Saturday but due to the costs I can see exactly why people lose the will to go. Particularly if the product is shite, which is why I don't necessarily begrudge Saints fans for being so booey.

My story echoes many told on this thread already.

I was pretty fanatical in my teenage years, going to as many home games as possible and travelling to away games. I even went to a few away reserves games against other Angus teams. 

All of this got knocked on the head when I started working weekends, earning cash and finding that long trips to Dumfries and Berwick just weren't as much fun as they used to be. Pubs, gigs and nightclubs became more important. 

Another big factor in why seldom go these days is that most of my old mates no longer live in Montrose and don't go either so I'll be standing on my own in the freezing cold, eating a greasy pie while watching East Fife or Queens Park run a cricket score up against us.  

Archived