You Lost That Loving Feeling...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never lived within 100 miles of Dumfries, so I've never been a regular attender at home games, but up to 3 years ago I was getting to 15-20 games a season (with probably about 80-90% being at games). The last season that I got to a big number of games was our promotion/double winning season.

During that season I passed the entrance exam to become a referee, and for the past 2 seasons have been refereeing amateur football. With kick offs being at 2 on a Saturday, it doesn't leave much scope to get to games. So far this season I have been to 2, and I haven't set foot in Palmerston for over a year. My love for Queens is definitely still there, but it has been overtaken by my love for the game itself. I really enjoy being involved, and hopefully I'll be doing this for the next 20-30 years, so I don't know if I'll ever get to the number of games I once did.

From about 13-18 I was at Mcdiarmid every second week and most away days. I struggle to find people to go with. Most my mates are now working Saturdays or play amateur football. Don't like sitting by myself.

Found myself at more Scotland games though, it's a good day out and usually everyone is up for it.

Went to more or less every home game before I moved down south. Would usually get to a few away games as well, so somewhere between 20-25 games a season was probably about right. Now it's 2 or 3, depending on when I'm up. 

I miss it sometimes and at other times I don't - you get used to not going and find other things to do. Many of the games the past few weeks I've followed the updates and just wished more than anything I could've been there, even on a fucking freezing mid-week night. Then there have been the other times I've been completely indifferent. 

I do think you have to be emotionally invested in it. I used to stay a mile from Reading's ground, but couldn't be bothered going along. It's Raith or nothing. 

A half time punt couldn't be that enjoyable anyway surely? Just seems a hassle.

^^^ idiot found

The Peterhead social club correctly caters for the discerning fan's half-time refreshments.

Archived