You Lost That Loving Feeling...

Only been to 2 raith games this season. Seen us a few times on Bbc Alba though. If I do go to a home game I drive over right after work, I work every Saturday and finish at 12 so it's not giving me a great deal of time for drinks before the game if I get the train over to kirkcaldy from Edinburgh.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only been to a couple of Stenhousemuir games this season. For a team that isn't one of the perennial losers (Shire etc) we've had one 'good' season in the last 15 and in that one we never even got promoted (finished on 73 points and +40 GD). Im fully aware we're not capable of ever rising any higher than a poor Championship team but we've not even had the highs to accompany the frequent lows

I only really started going to football regularly in the mid 90s - prior to that I had only gone in a desultory fashion to the odd Scotland game or the likes of Ibrox, Parkhead or Firhill with various mates who supported one of the Glasgow sides and had bigged up a forthcoming game to me. I could never get into the over-regulated side of top-flight football where you tend to be viewed as one of a herd of consumers rather than a supporter and as a result never committed to following anyone.

Going to my first junior game was an real eye-opener. I'm not one of those "mon eh juniors" types - god knows it's a level of football that has its faults and I know it's not for everyone - but I enjoy the relative no-frills honesty and the informality of being able to stand where you want and move where you like in a crowd of low three figures where you pretty much know everyone by name.

My passion seems to have come back for supporting Saints since I moved to Aberdeen. Now that I no longer play Football on a Sat I'm more likely to go. Think I'm on 9 for the season with 2 more I'd think before the seasons out. With our boy being 6 months I've done well tbf. When he's old enough I'll take him to McD a few times a year I'd think. Would be much easier going to Pitoddrie but just can't see myself doing it.

Really have zero interest in us getting back to the SPL. It's the worst, most boring league in Scotland.

Genuinely prefer the smaller grounds and banter rather than half empty grounds playing teams like Motherwell and Killie. No offence but there's no interest in these games for me. The Calderwood time was good but the First Division or championship is the best league to watch IMO.

In England yes, getting to the top league would be fantastic to watch top players at your ground. Plus you only have one chance to see them. Up here you get to see washed up overpaid players three or four times. If you dare to put a team together and have a wee run then expect it to end as soon as the old firm buy your best players so they can win the league by a stupid amount.

Give me derbies against Falkirk, Rovers and Cowden over Celtic or Rangers anyday.

I'm not as fanatical about it as I was when I was younger but I've never lost my loving feeling for any length of time.  For me there is something beautiful and therapeutic about the game.  It's a chance to leave the rest of the world behind for 90 minutes.

I've been pretty low at times with people close to me dying or relationship break ups or job loses and I've then gone to the match and instead of thinking about that I was jumping up at goals, shouting at referees, passionately discussing the events with people I only ever see at matches.  I genuinely think supporting a football team, even with the inevitable lows, helps with life. 

When footballer became a ridiculous business I stopped watching it on tv, the sight of some mug spending £1,000 on a Chelsea season ticket going tits at a £200k per week player who doesn't give a toss is ridiculous.

I hear this kind of statement all the time but don't sign up to it.

Do you buy DVDs, go to the cinema, use any subscription streaming services or pay for any movie channels? If so you're paying the wages of folk who get $20m+ for a few months filming and a a month or so promo.

I actually agree the money in football is OTT but it certainly wouldn't stop me watching it:

I absolutely love Scottish Football and do go most Saturday's, definitely at home anyway, fell out of love a lot with Lumsden here though as I felt like we had no future with him and he totally kicked the arse out of the club but glad we have Campbell in now and I'm already looking forward to the summer.

I love the national tournaments and I DO still quite enjoy the EPL and Champions league etc but not to the same levels I once did. Don't think Scottish Football will ever get boring though, it's too raw and at times hilarious. Wouldn't have it any other way.

When I was at school, almost every penny I had was spent on going to see Clyde. I loved the independence of jumping on a train and going to different grounds at such a young age.

I then started working Saturdays so missed a lot of games but I hated not being there so I would often leave early on flexi time to go to the game.

I still go quite a lot. I've been to the last 6 games - a lot for me, even compared to my fanatical stage. Now though the game is a sideshow to having a piss up with your mates. Me and my mates left Annan at half time last week when we were 2-0 down in favour of the pub. We ended up going 3-2 up before drawing 3-3 and by all accounts, I had missed the best 45 minutes of the season but I wasn't that bothered as I was still having a good laugh. There used to be a crowd of us went but they all lost interest over the years, and quite often I found myself sitting at Broadwood on my own and that's the closest I've been to chucking it. Thankfully one of them started going back this season and there's a couple of folk I'll speak to at away games so I'm enjoying it at the moment. It helps when the team are doing well and have something to play for.

I'm still only 20, so if this thread is anything to go by then in the coming years, life will get in the way and my attendance will slowly decline - which is understandable. I'd hate to stop going altogether mind you.

I try and get to games as often as I can over here. Don't go as often as I did back home and that's partly because although I go and watch Aarau regularly with a few friends, I don't particularly give a shit about their results and it's mostly an excuse to have a couple of beers and watch a game.

Really have zero interest in us getting back to the SPL. It's the worst, most boring league in Scotland.

Genuinely prefer the smaller grounds and banter rather than half empty grounds playing teams like Motherwell and Killie. No offence but there's no interest in these games for me. The Calderwood time was good but the First Division or championship is the best league to watch IMO.

In England yes, getting to the top league would be fantastic to watch top players at your ground. Plus you only have one chance to see them. Up here you get to see washed up overpaid players three or four times. If you dare to put a team together and have a wee run then expect it to end as soon as the old firm buy your best players so they can win the league by a stupid amount.

Give me derbies against Falkirk, Rovers and Cowden over Celtic or Rangers anyday.

Pretty much applauded every sentence.

The funny part is that wee teams like Killie and Motherwell think we are desperate to get up and play them.

Did you see how many Motherwell fans could be arsed wi their big relegation battle on Friday night?

What a beamer.

I'd say between the ages of 14-20 I was going to atleast 30 games a season, usually a lot more, I think I was on about 50 consecutively at one point. Then the year we lost the league to Dunfermline I was so scunnered by it all I pretty much gave up and went back to playing ammy football (not really that game, more the fact we totally blew it and some of the heartbreak along the way, then the fact that Dunfermline went up and got routinely ridden every week and we would have faired much the same if not worse made me question what the point of it was)

I'd say I was still going to somewhere between 5-10 games a season after that though if I had no game or it was a decent game coming up but other than that I would just check the score after my game then catch the second half with a pint and soccer Saturday.

I gave up ammy back in October though and have been steadily going back to the games and now I have a real buzz for it again, the fact we're doing not too badly is helping I guess. I'm going to pick up a season book next season though and start going to away games again as I'm not really into Saturday nights out so much anymore and a few beers, a game of football and a day out seem better anyway.

Long story short, I did lose that loving feeling for a long time, but the grass isn't always greener and now I'm back.

Moving abroad also kills the emotional bond somewhat.

This. Ive put the national side as my team not as a copout but because they're the only games I'll go out of my way to watch these days. Hopefully the Beckham group gets its finger out and just pays the city whatever bribes they want to get this bloody stadium built and then I'll get season books for me and the wee one.

I'm a fair weather fan these days - will go to games if I fancy it and have enjoyed a trip to some of the away grounds in Ligue Un. Never watch stuff like MotD or Champions League these days - follow my own team, like Scottish football in general but have no interest in English or European stuff.

If we manage not to chuck the league in the coming weeks I'll fair look forward to next's year's Championship.  

Been to about 2 matches this season, don't plan on going back anytime soon. It's not hard to stay away when you support a club who are morally bankrupt and followed more or less entirely by knuckle draggers.

I though you supported livi, not Rangers.

Archived