The Play-Offs 15/16

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What on goal diff as it will come down to Sunday? Falkirk haven't beaten 3rd this season either so you must be trolling.

If Hibs finish above us they will have proven they have been a better team this season regardless of whether it's in goal difference or by three points.

People wanting the same format of playoff as levels below for "consistency" forget that Premiership plays 38 games not 36, and finishes 2 weeks later.

It has two rounds of midweek fixtures usually though so no real reason why it should finish later

If Hibs finish above us they will have proven they have been a better team this season regardless of whether it's in goal difference or by three points.

If falkirk finish ahead of us on goal difference I still wouldn't say they are better. Thank god that there's a playoff to clear it up I suppose.

If falkirk finish ahead of us on goal difference I still wouldn't say they are better. Thank god that there's a playoff to clear it up I suppose.

Pretty cut and dry in terms of league positioning to be honest. Regardless of how either team finishes ahead of the other they are still finishing ahead therefore have been better throughout the league campaign. It really is that simple. Now onto the point about a playoff to clear it up as you put it. Should Raith Rovers beat you over a 2 legged match does that make them better than Hibs even though they finished further behind in the league ?

ETA: If indeed you do face them at some point in the play offs

Back in February I was all set to finish 3rd and give the playoffs a good go.

We seemed to have planned for being in the Championship next season and with Hibs and Rangers both in the Championship, I'd made peace that this season was a write off.

It took me a while but I soon realised both Hibs and Rangers were gash and I'd gave then too much respect.

Had Grant and McGrandles stayed fit I'd say we would be comfortably 2nd and possibly even giving Rangers a chase for the title.

As it stands we are 2nd despite our problems and in a fantastic position to get to the playoff final.

If we go out the playoffs and fail to win promotion it certainly won't be the end of the world.

Kilmarnock and Hibs probably have more to fear here than Falkirk and Raith do.

With Kilmarnock and Hibs being bigger clubs than Raith and Falkirk it stands to reason that they have more to lose and subsequently more to fear.

Please refer to my earlier post where I gave some examples of Kilmarnock owning Falkirk.  Not worried about Falkirk at all.

People wanting the same format of playoff as levels below for "consistency" forget that Premiership plays 38 games not 36, and finishes 2 weeks later.

Don't think anyone's forgetting that at all tbh. It's perfectly reasonable to expect that everyone in the play offs gets a fair crack and that the SPFL can accommodate that in the calendar.

It has two rounds of midweek fixtures usually though so no real reason why it should finish later

Season starts earlier too and we have an extra cup, bottom section could finish earlier than top, seems to be a hooha about it all not conforming with other leagues with HibeeJibee, its Scotland and the SPL, they make it up as they go along anyway.

With Kilmarnock and Hibs being bigger clubs than Raith and Falkirk it stands to reason that they have more to lose and subsequently more to fear.

Please refer to my earlier post where I gave some examples of Kilmarnock owning Falkirk.  Not worried about Falkirk at all.

Cute Killie with their under 4000 crowd average and loony greeting fan.....I wish my club reached those heights 

I don't agree that we have more to fear than anyone. Maybe Raith yes but not Falkirk or Killie.

Presuming they get 2nd, you wouldn't imagine Falkirk can expect a better chance to go up anytime soon. Kilmarnock have some obvious reasons to worry about relegation.

Us staying down would create by far the most hysterics but the world wouldn't end. Next season we'll be favourites for the first time since coming down, have some good players in contract and money in the bank. We're the only one of the three who's promotion is a when, not an if.

Okay HB, you've got me. Bit pedantic but you know what I'm saying. Let's go for say, promotion in the next 10 years.

Falkirk will play in the Premiership in the next 5 years. They are a natural 10-16 club.

There's a good chance it will be next season, but even if it isn't automatic promotion will certainly be possible next season and a playoff place should be very attainable for the foreseeable future.

Falkirk are a yo-yo club. Part of being a yo-yo club involves being promoted.

Yoyo club. :lol: They're a second tier team more often than not. The only yoyo thing about you is that in the unlikely event you get promoted, you get papped back down again quickly. We might be shite, but at least we're not deluded.

I wouldn't disagree with much of that (edit: HB's post that is). I never said Falkirk definitely won't be in the top league next season, the year after that or by any point.

What I said was that Falkirk won't be banking on a better opportunity any time soon, than the one they have right now.

In the last 30 years, since 1985-86, Falkirk have spent just over a third on the top division.

And have been promoted 4 times during that period plus the infamous non-promotion which in league terms meant the goal was achieved.

After the 85/86 promotion and subsequent relegation in 87/88 Falkirk's spells in the second tier have been :-

3 sns

1 sn

9 sns

5 sns (and counting)

Falkirk will be promoted again very soon. Morton of course, won't. That's not your level in the modern era.

I wouldn't disagree with much of that (edit: HB's post that is). I never said Falkirk definitely won't be in the top league next season, the year after that or by any point.

What I said was that Falkirk won't be banking on a better opportunity any time soon, than the one they have right now.

I wouldn't agree with that because this season the playoffs were the only possible good outcome. The league was unwinnable. As it was last season.

Next season and, provided a Sevco-esque situation doesn't happen, the seasons after no matter who takes the final Premiership place, the title and a playoff place will be up for grabs.

Hibs will rightly be favourites for next season's Championship title, but they are very beateable over a season, as Falkirk have shown.

Falkirk will have much better opportunities in the seasons to come. Going up this season would be a huge unexpected bonus.

Archived