The Play-Offs 15/16

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really, was a genuine question. What has changed?

We swapped John Daly, Craig Wighton and Mitch Megginson for Ryan hardie, Harry Panayioutou and Aiden Connolly. That certainly gave us more up front. However, we also got Jason Thomson back into right back - it gave us an out ball up the right wing we hadn't had since he was injured. Latterly we also moved Lewis Toshney into a holding midfield role which added a lot to the middle of the park, letting Ross Callachan push up which suits his game a lot more.

The play offs are going to be interesting and will depend on which Hibs team turns up on the day. Coming second didn't help us last year so not overly concerned about finishing 3rd. Will be a tall ask to get past Raith and Falkirk but reckon if we do we would be favourites in the final having been on a winning run. This could still turn out to be a fantastic season for us or ultimately an absolute nightmare.

Hibs the best team on their day.

Raith the best form.

Falkirk the best team at grinding out results?

I think that's a very good way of putting it. I certainly have no idea who will get to the final, but whoever gets there I'd expect them to beat Killie or Accies to be honest.

I think that's harsh on Falkirk!

Not at all. We have a good team full of good players, but that's the best attribute we have going into the playoffs over the other two teams.

I'd rather have this team than teams we've had in the past where they play tippy tappy football, nice on the eye but lose games. Think about the amount of late goals we've scored this year to win/draw games. That's not a criticism, it's a strength.

At the moment with our injuries and suspensions we have the weakest squad depth (key word being depth) out of the three. However with the way the teams got results this year, I'm not overly concerned.

There's so many ifs/buts for all these teams which is what makes it interesting.

Do Hibs have the best team though?

Cummings, McGinn (not for their dives), Bartley and Gray are their only players I'd take in our starting 11. Even then, I'm not sure who from of Sibbald, Vaulks Kerr and Alston I'd drop to accommodate McGinn and Bartley 

Henderson impressed when he came on at TFS in the 1-1 game but can't seem to hold down a starting place. The same could be said for McGeouch, but he's been injured for most of the season. 

Not at all. We have a good team full of good players, but that's the best attribute we have going into the playoffs over the other two teams.

I'd rather have this team than teams we've had in the past where they play tippy tappy football, nice on the eye but lose games. Think about the amount of late goals we've scored this year to win/draw games. That's not a criticism, it's a strength.

At the moment with our injuries and suspensions we have the weakest squad depth (key word being depth) out of the three. However with the way the teams got results this year, I'm not overly concerned.

There's so many ifs/buts for all these teams which is what makes it interesting.

Currently our only fit forwards are Hardie and Panayiotou. Thomas injured himself on Saturday, not sure when Stewart is back and though Vaughan is back training and playing reserve games, he's missed the whole season. Also, if it ends up being you we face first, we'd quite possibly be down Craigen as well. Suffice to say, I don't think Rovers have significantly better squad depth than Falkirk, only Hibs have that embarrasment of riches.

Cummings, McGinn (not for their dives), Bartley and Gray are their only players I'd take in our starting 11. Even then, I'm not sure who from of Sibbald, Vaulks Kerr and Alston I'd drop to accommodate McGinn and Bartley

Henderson impressed when he came on at TFS in the 1-1 game but can't seem to hold down a starting place. The same could be said for McGeouch, but he's been injured for most of the season.

I think on their day if they set their minds to it Hibs have the ability to outplay us. Hasn't happened this season, and only really happened in the semi final last year (hehe) and the last game of the season which was a dead rubber for us.

Perhaps they've got the best depth of squad then, which is obvious with their umpteen strikers, and the likes of Henderson not getting a regular start.

Regarding Raiths striking issues, your team appear to get goals from various different players and there's only a handful of outfield players that haven't scored so I wouldn't be overly concerned if i was them.

We were defensively sound until Grant got injured and it's been difficult for us at the back where it was such a strength for us earlier on in the season. In comparison, I would say our defensive issues are a bigger problem than a lack of depth of strikers for the Rovers.

Henderson's been rested a couple of times, but would 100% be in our best 11. And would stroll in the Falkirk team. Probably been our best player in 2016.

Henderson's been rested a couple of times, but would 100% be in our best 11. And would stroll in the Falkirk team. Probably been our best player in 2016.

Absolutely this, up there with Bartley as our best player in 2016. He runs himself into the ground and has needed a rest recently with so many games.

He's a guaranteed starter in the playoffs and final. Massive player for us.

The play offs are going to be interesting and will depend on which Hibs team turns up on the day. Coming second didn't help us last year so not overly concerned about finishing 3rd. Will be a tall ask to get past Raith and Falkirk but reckon if we do we would be favourites in the final having been on a winning run. This could still turn out to be a fantastic season for us or ultimately an absolute nightmare.

I think Raith are a better side this season than Queens were last year, so 2nd v 3rd is more valuable.

Archived