Late For The Game

Missed the first half hour of a LC semi v Motherwell at Hampden about ten years ago due to a snarl up on the motorway. Turnstiles were shut but there were about 20 odd from our bus and stewards let us in after explaining scenario to them, was 1-1 at the time and we scored a last minute winner by Maloney 2-1

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just also remembered a couple when I didn't make the game at all. I was going to see us at Airdrie (an away game at Airdrie, before our recent spell playing home games there) and left myself too neat for time. I also realised I didn't know how to get there so decided instead to take in Motherwell-Gretna at Fir Park. Motherwell were doing one of their discounted admission things so I turned up expecting to pay about £10. It turned out however that it was Gretna's home game so I got fleeced for £20.

The other was going through to see us at Stirling. I ended up stuck on the motorway which was shut off because someone had committed suicide by jumping off one of the flyovers. I had to just turn back and got home after about 3 hours of driving without seeing a ball kicked,

The other was going through to see us at Stirling. I ended up stuck on the motorway which was shut off because someone had committed suicide by jumping off one of the flyovers. I had to just turn back and got home after about 3 hours of driving without seeing a ball kicked,

I think I know the time you refer to here. It was a young lassie being bullied at school, pretty awful turn of events.

One side of the Motorway was shut for hours under the bridge at Cambusbarron, Celtic were playing that day too and we drove through Denny and cut onto the motorway at Kilsyth

I think I know the time you refer to here. It was a young lassie being bullied at school, pretty awful turn of events.

One side of the Motorway was shut for hours under the bridge at Cambusbarron, Celtic were playing that day too and we drove through Denny and cut onto the motorway at Kilsyth

Yip that was it. I had intended to cut off sooner and go to the Clyde game instead but had to abandon that plan as well.

I went to a match earlier in the season and because of work could only make the second half.

Although I got in for free there was something not quite right about only getting 45 minutes of football.

I hate being late for a match - I'd prefer to be there half an hour early and get prepared for it, read the programme etc.

Earlier this season me and my mate missed the first 20 minutes of our game vs Petershill away. We'd been at La Cheetah the night before and actually were up very early, we had to wait outside Londis for 10 O'clock to get our carry out. Made it to Springburn a full 45 minutes before KO but the wonders of the Springburn shopping centre (Greggs, charity shop and sky stall) distracted us for the best part of an hour. Think we missed the first goal too

Scotland v Ireland qualifier at Celtic Park. Didn't get in until about half an hour after kick off because one of the turnstiles was broke. Was absolutely furious.

Think I've stayed in the pub once but generally I'll always make the effort to go to the game. Left at half time against Annan in favour of the pub a few weeks back, we were 2-0 down and we were all pished and just wanted more bevvy. Typically, I missed us go 3-2 up before eventually drawing 3-3.

Went down to London for long weekend on the piss with younger brother who had just moved down there. Strangely, QPR looked like the most attractive tie in whole of London that day (FA Cup weekend)

Brother didn't have credit card at time, but QPR said there would be no problem turning up & playing cash on day. They were playing Middlesbrough, and some Brazilian (Juninio?) was playing his first away game for 'Boro.

Train to Shepherd's Bush was packed with Middlesbrough fans. We gave up trying to get in at 2:55 and ran to Hammersmith where we got a cab to Craven Cottage. Missed the first 15 minutes, but the other 75 minutes dragged on for a lifetime as Fulham & Brighton bored their way to an entirely forgettable 0-0 draw.

I've had better days out at Cowden.

24 minutes. I know this because Kris Doolan scored in the 23rd minute as I was walking up the hill to the Jackie Husband Stand and I heard the celebrations just as I passed the Bing. The first of 7 goals in a. 6-1 victory over Stirling Albion in January 2011.

I was late because I had an exam in my 2nd year postponed from the December diet because of the snow. It was in the subject I actually now teach at the School of Law. The exam started at 1 and finished at 3. I ran full-pelt from the Bute Hall to Firhill with my bags and everything.

Only one of note for myself. When I first moved to Budapest (many years ago) I decided to go and see Honved. It was an evening game and drove out to where the stadium was, I could see the flood lights, but the surrounding areas was in pitch blackness and I could not find the way in. After about 10 minutes I gave up and headed to the pub. The next day I went to see Ujpest, which all in all was a better decision.

Many Motherwell fans got about 30 seconds of our first ever European tie in Katowice as the buses got helps up in roadworks in Germany. Thats a scunner, but luckily I flew.

The highlight of being late was a mate, many years ago who arrived 2 minutes after kick off in a Cup tie against Falkirk (IIRC) who happened to score in the first minute of the game. At the final whistle and we had lost by the odd goal everyone is trooping out dejected/pissed off and my mate pipes up "whens the replay". He had sat through the whole game not knowing he had arrived with us 1-0 down.

Scottish cup final 91. Went on the Colville Park bus which was totally fucked, could only go at a maximum of 30mph and couldn't go up hills. Got in about the 30 minute mark. If I'd known how to seethe at that early age, I would have. Instead I was on the verge of tears

Scottish cup final 91. Went on the Colville Park bus which was totally fucked, could only go at a maximum of 30mph and couldn't go up hills. Got in about the 30 minute mark. If I'd known how to seethe at that early age, I would have. Instead I was on the verge of tears

Completely forgot about the cup final. I'm the pub with no real plan to get to the game. Got on the train which got nowhere as the emergency cord had been pulled so many times. Mad dash with everyone else to get taxis to Hampden.

Missed all the pre-amble but at least seen the great game.

Missed about the first 15 minutes of QotS's 2008 Europa Cup "home" tie played at the Excelsior Stadium, Airdrie.  Got to the Airdrie turn-off on the M8 about an hour before kick-off only to be met with a queue of traffic. By the time I got near the Park, abandoned the car and got in we were already a goal down.   It felt worse because I had given lifts to three others.

I also missed the start of a Cup tie V Hibs at Easter Road a few years ago. Left home a bit late waiting on someone finishing work, took ages to get through Edinburgh, had a bit of a walk from where I could get parked, then queueing because there were not enough turnstiles open at Easter Road, meant I missed about 15 minutes again. Other people travelling with me again so I felt more disappointed.

I've also missed the start of a couple of games at Morton, once when the Oldco were playing at home and got stuck in traffic on the M8 approaching Ibrox, the next time I decided to take the Kilmarnock - Irvine- coast road approach to Greenock but was faced with a lot of roadworks, temporary traffic lights, and cars crawling along.

I get the bus now. 

My brother once decided he fancied travelling through to Ayr to watch them play Raith. We ended up stuck in traffic firstly due to an accident, then roadworks on the M8. By the time we got to the ground an hour had been played. The guy on the turnstyle took pity and let us in for nothing, and we still saw all the goals in a 3-1 Ayr win!

I think I've been late enough entering a stadium to find my team 2-0 down when I got there on two separate occasions - Scotland v Hungary in 2004 and Celtic v Red Bull Salzburg in 2014. 

Have to admit it could be a bit of a rush tomorrow trying to get to Clach v Forres so already thinking of spending the first half in the pub and getting in free for the second.  :ph34r:

Apart from my Preston Athletic misadventure, the most late I've been for a game was going to one of our "home" games at Airdrie against Albion Rovers. I was chatting to my Dad and, forgetting to focus on the road, missed the turn off on the M8. I managed to take the next one (for Kilsyth I think) and turned back. By the time I got in, the teams were on the park. I wished I hadn't bothered because we played rotten and lost.

I got to a Scottish Cup tie away to Clyde circa 2003 about 15 minutes in, I'm sure we were already 2-0 up and the game got abandoned at half time with the score 2-1.

Hearts vs Shalke at Murrayfield. Absolute shambles trying to get in the ground, can't remember why but there were loads of people stuck outside for ages. Got in just before half time to see someone get sent off, possibly Hartley. Shalke scored soon after and must've had about 95% possession.

January 2007, Kilmarnock vs Falkirk in the League Cup semi final.

There was something pretty big on at Motherwell Civic Centre on the same night and also road works too.  The kick off was pushed back by 15 minutes but we were still on the bus on the bypass where you can see down into Motherwell.  A few of us made the drunk decision to get off the bus and walk/run the remaining mile or so.

Turned out to be a bit further than a mile but I made it in after about 15 minutes.  The guy I went to the games with still wasn't in his seat approaching half time when eventually he turned up eating a chicken curry.  

The Kilmarnock domination of Falkirk continued.

Archived